Your kids stink.

Show me a post where ANYONE in this thread said the teacher was the devil. Link it. Post the post number. Show me. Can't, can ya?

Oh, and do find some posts where the messenger is being shot. That note was insulting. It was worded coldly. It was sent home WITH the children. No one on one. No pulling the parent aside. No anything except to tell them their kids stink and she doesn't want to touch them.

Now...shall I wait for the links and post numbers I asked for? Probably not, since none exist.

Not only was it sent home WITH the children, but she put a place on that note for the child to sign it along with the parent. She let those kids know in no uncertain terms that she thought they stunk.

That's just plain wrong. Leave the children out of it. Talk to the parents. Common sense sometimes applies and there wan't any in involving the children with a note like that. Classless.

Kids go to learn. BUT...they are also pretty dirty little darlin's. Or can get that way once there. However, they need to be clean so they can get all the germs off the playground equipment, sneeze on each other, drop their candy and pick it back up and plop it back in their mouth or share it with a few other kids, etc etc etc.

If the kid stinks, then I can see her point in not wanting to be near them or even tough them. Maybe she has kids at home..or an elder...and doesn't want to carry any communicable probs at the end of the day. Kinda hard to lean over and teach a child when they have poopy pants or lice in their hair.

On the other hand...she worded that REALLY bad. I think I would be pissed off too, then write a note back telling her it ain't MY kid she is smelling...it's her upper lip since that is nearest her nose.

Overall.....it could have been handled better.

It was handled very unprofessionally. If I had been the teacher, I would have asked for a meeting with the parents, and if they cared enough to come to the meeting, I would have, very delicately, talked with them about the ramifications of children coming to school, unclean and unsanitary.

I would hope, but not necessarily expect, any change, but I would know that I tried my best to correct the situation. I would expect to have to live with the problem or leave, as it was I, who was having the most objectionable issue with it. and I would know, no job was perfect.

Once I worked with a co-worker [manager] who had the most foul body odor I had ever experienced. It smelled up the entire business of fine jewelry. I talked with her about it and she said she had, had it all her life, in summer months and even with air-conditioning, but could never find a solution. It made me nauseous to be around her and I dreaded going into work. I was the top salesperson. I hated to see the fine business, lose me.

I quit my job for that reason though, and went to work for a competing jewelers right across from that business where I could without design, be seen by her. :lol:

"To every question, you are the answer. To every problem you are the solution. :thup:

I think the teacher was right. Allowing your children to be soiled to an extent that it offends ordinary people is a lack of respect for the school, classmates, the child itself and the parents themselves. The most important effect is on the very children who are unkempt. It does not bode well for their futures.

I think the teacher was right. Allowing your children to be soiled to an extent that it offends ordinary people is a lack of respect for the school, classmates, the child itself and the parents themselves. The most important effect is on the very children who are unkempt. It does not bode well for their futures.

The teacher did not handle the situation appropriately and if she were my child's teacher, I would have been all over her.

The teacher did not handle the situation appropriately and if she were my child's teacher, I would have been all over her.
If she were your child's teacher, you should be painfully embarrassed. That is kind of the point. Whatever offense you might have taken is nothing compared to the offense you would have caused to your the institution, yourself and your offspring.

If she were your child's teacher, you should be painfully embarrassed. That is kind of the point. Whatever offense you might have taken is nothing compared to the offense you would have caused to your the institution, yourself and your offspring.

She sent the note home with every child in her class. I am certain that not every child in her class stunk. BTW, sometimes kids have accidents. If that happens, then clean it up and get on with class, or send the kid home, but do NOT embarrass the kid by telling him he stinks. He's already embarrassed enough.

She sent the note home with every child in her class. I am certain that not every child in her class stunk. BTW, sometimes kids have accidents. If that happens, then clean it up and get on with class, or send the kid home, but do NOT embarrass the kid by telling him he stinks. He's already embarrassed enough.
You are being daft. Children of that age would be unable to read the note. If the parent decides to tell them then they are even worse than expected.

You are being daft. Children of that age would be unable to read the note. If the parent decides to tell them then they are even worse than expected.

She put a place on the note for the child to sign along with the parent.

So what, do you really expect a 3 or 4 year old to understand without explanation?!

Someone that supremely sensitive shouldn't be teaching kids. Kids are stinky and they are germ factories. They often come from homes that are abusive, or where the parents are disabled, dysfunctional, and terribly poor and illiterate.

The teacher's role is to teach the children. Not to castigate the parents. If there are a few that are particularly stinky, then a 1x1 meeting with those parents, handled very sensitively, is needed. Because every single one of those kids, and every one of the parents, knows exactly which kids are the culprits. She should be fired.

So what, do you really expect a 3 or 4 year old to understand without explanation?!

My little brother could read at 4. I taught him.
If you took the time to instruct him on how to read at the level required, then I imagine you took the time for hygiene as well.

There are times on this site that I am dubious if I am dealing with adults.

You're dealing with a lot of people of limited experience and understanding.

My little brother could read at 4. I taught him.
If you took the time to instruct him on how to read at the level required, then I imagine you took the time for hygiene as well.

There are times on this site that I am dubious if I am dealing with adults.

She sent the note home with every kid in her class. Do you really think they all stunk? Do you really think that none of them knew how to read that note or what was on it? Or didn't hear their parent/parents talking about it when they were suppose to be sleeping or otherwise occupied. Kids are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. When she put that line for the kids to sign she meant for them to know exactly what that note said and I think most of them got that message.

Someone that supremely sensitive shouldn't be teaching kids. Kids are stinky and they are germ factories. They often come from homes that are abusive, or where the parents are disabled, dysfunctional, and terribly poor and illiterate.

The teacher's role is to teach the children. Not to castigate the parents. If there are a few that are particularly stinky, then a 1x1 meeting with those parents, handled very sensitively, is needed. Because every single one of those kids, and every one of the parents, knows exactly which kids are the culprits. She should be fired.
Kids are not germ factories, as you put it. Young children have a very weak immune system simply because they have not built immunity in the normal process of low-grade infection that all kids must go through. It benefits no one when other kids are unhygienic. Other parents in the schools should be the ones who object the loudest, but they have no idea of what's going on.

Poppycock. Kids are germ factories, any adult who works in medical or teaching field knows this. Particularly children of working parents, who are exposed to huge numbers of people every day in the normal course of school/daycare/home, and the variety of environments that go along with moving them between caregivers/school and home.

And the whole urban myth about "children need less medicine not more, it will make them more healthy" is complete claptrap. Kids continue to be at risk for infectious diseases...and the risk increases when they, and the people they come into contact with, are not treated/immunized against those diseases.

"New York City's health department tracked emergency-room visits for five flu seasons, and found school-age children are among the first sickened.
  • Earlier work by Boston's Brownstein and Dr. Kenneth Mandl had implicated preschoolers, finding that a spike in respiratory illness in the under-5 crowd predicts that about five weeks later, flu-related deaths among the elderly will peak. In their newest study, flu struck the earliest in zip codes with the most preschoolers.
  • Carroll County, Md., gave free doses of the nasal vaccine FluMist to 44 percent of its elementary school students in 2005, and saw less absenteeism that winter than a neighboring county. More intriguing, Carroll County's unvaccinated high school students missed less school that winter, too, suggesting some community-wide protection. — Tecumseh, Mich., vaccinated 85 percent of school-age children just before the 1968 influenza pandemic, resulting in 67 percent less flu-like illness in that community than in a neighboring one."
Kids truly are little germ factories, study proves - Health - Cold and flu | NBC News

Forum List

Back