10 Myths about atheists debunked

I am an atheist. I don't hurt people , nor do I advocate the destruction of others or murder innocents to reinforce my views. Theists do that. MLK was a theist , so was Gandhi. Hitler was Christian, were do you go with that?
You know most public leaders claim religion simply to be elected?

I am an atheist. I don't hurt people , nor do I advocate the destruction of others or murder innocents to reinforce my views. Theists do that. MLK was a theist , so was Gandhi. Hitler was Christian, were do you go with that?
Stalin and Mao were atheists and killed far more than Hitler. Where do you go with that ?

Stalin and Mao were atheists and killed far more than Hitler. Where do you go with that ?
People got agendas. How many people died under pogroms, apartied, the various crusades, the holocaust, inquisitions, you name it over the years.

I didn't say anything about abortion. I just said that Jesus was steadfast in his condemnation of harming people. There is no contradiction. He said the greatest thing was Love. What do athiess think the greatest thing is ?
I have no problem with what Jesus said. Most of what he said was pretty good. There are many others in history that have said good things I agree with. One has to be what Ghandi said.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
This was so spot on, especially within the US.
The only problem with Jesus is he claims to be the son of god. As an atheist I don't believe in god. As an anti-theist I agree with Richard Dawkins when he stated “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

The bible contains both the old and the new testament. Most christians I know refer to passages in both. When someone tells me they get their morals from the bible I call them out on it.

I didn't say anything about abortion. I just said that Jesus was steadfast in his condemnation of harming people. There is no contradiction. He said the greatest thing was Love. What do athiess think the greatest thing is ?
I have no problem with what Jesus said. Most of what he said was pretty good. There are many others in history that have said good things I agree with. One has to be what Ghandi said.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
The only problem with Jesus is he claims to be the son of god. As an atheist I don't believe in god. As an anti-theist I agree with Richard Dawkins when he stated “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

The bible contains both the old and the new testament. Most christians I know refer to passages in both. When someone tells me they get their morals from the bible I call them out on it.
You can hold you belief. Just remember the way you treat religious people impacts the way everyone views atheists or antitheists whichever you want to call it.

You both go to an 'argument' that fails as a composition fallacy.

You can hold you belief. Just remember the way you treat religious people impacts the way everyone views atheists or antitheists whichever you want to call it.
And remember the way you treat those free from faith impacts the way everyone views Christians, Muslims, Jews, and other theists.

Have I been rude or disrespectful in any way. It is not my intention. I've been stating my opinion that I feel strongly about but I don't wish to be hateful.

Really. I wasn't arguing. How many people died believing in Jesus to resurrect them from the grave? Biggest con job ever. And then there is Islam, the biggest con so far. Harm non believer infidels and YOU get a special place in heaven! Drink deep of the purple kool aid.

Have I been rude or disrespectful in any way. It is not my intention. I've been stating my opinion that I feel strongly about but I don't wish to be hateful.
It's more of people saying things like “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

Anyone who is a Christian, Jew, or Muslim would find that offensive. I feel like everything in this convo has been worn out though. I'm done.

Anyone who is offended because of what an anonymous person posts on an athiest thread on a message board about their religious (or non religious) views, should probably not be on a message board.

Anyone who is offended because of what an anonymous person posts on an athiest thread on a message board about their religious (or non religious) views, should probably not be on a message board.
I was talking about more so in real life. I've heard people say that to others in face to face. If you can't tell, I don't get offended. I'd rather be the person doing the offending on message boards then the little bitch getting offended.

I still want to know why I can't post freely on this board here. Why did Freddie Grey get his neck snapped and dragged around like dead meat. God's will?

I still want to know why I can't post freely on this board here. Why did Freddie Grey get his neck snapped and dragged around like dead meat. God's will?
I would see that as the will of the person who dragged him around. We live in one forsaken evil world. Great thing that there can be hope in the afterlife. Especially in the case of the Freddie Grey's of this life. Hey, remember what the world did to Christ Himself.

They physical world has its own laws and properties. Because of the nature of the physical world, we can experience tremendous times--and horrible ones. The world is made up of all kinds of opposites, including these.

Scripture acknowledges this, but promises that despite this darkness the light of God continues to shine.

The "will of God" can be traced to belief that if the world and its creation came to existence through the will of God, then He must will every incident that happens on earth.

Really. I wasn't arguing. How many people died believing in Jesus to resurrect them from the grave? Biggest con job ever. And then there is Islam, the biggest con so far. Harm non believer infidels and YOU get a special place in heaven! Drink deep of the purple kool aid.
\

What difference does it make what kind of drama people believe in while they are alive ? Do you get some special points after you die for being an atheist ? Are you superior to religious people ?

That's absurd---You claim there is no God. Why don't you tell us why it happened from the atheist point of view. Oh that's right--you can't because atheist have no explanation of life for others to critique.

10 Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked

Atheists are moral, loving and multicultural.

By Amanda Marcotte / AlterNet

April 14, 2015

In a regular poll conducted by political scientists Robert Putnam and David Campbell on American political attitudes, atheists recently lost their spot as as the most disliked group in America to the Tea Party. Still, number two is simply way too high in the unpopularity rankings for a group of people who just happen to spend Sunday mornings in bed instead of in church. Polling data shows that nearly half of Americans would disapprove if their child married an atheist and nearly 40 percent of Americans don’t see atheists as sharing their vision of American society, numbers that outstripped similar prejudices toward Muslims and African Americans.

Of course, the real reason atheists are so hated has little to do with jealousy for all their free time, but largely because most Americans are better acquainted with myths than with the realities of atheists' lives. Unfortunately, atheists often have these myths tossed in their faces, usually by believers who would rather talk about what they heard atheists are like rather than uncomfortable subjects such as the lack of proof for any gods.

These myths do more than hurt atheists. They also harm the basic religious freedoms of all Americans, regardless of their beliefs. Religious freedom and tolerance don’t mean much if they can’t be expanded to include those without religion. With that in mind, here’s 10 of the ugliest myths about atheists, debunked:

I had no idea that some people feel this strongly about atheism or that atheists are hated BECAUSE they're atheists.

Read the list at the link.

Another myth they left out are that atheists don't all support the queer rights movement.

10 Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked

Atheists are moral, loving and multicultural.

By Amanda Marcotte / AlterNet

April 14, 2015

In a regular poll conducted by political scientists Robert Putnam and David Campbell on American political attitudes, atheists recently lost their spot as as the most disliked group in America to the Tea Party. Still, number two is simply way too high in the unpopularity rankings for a group of people who just happen to spend Sunday mornings in bed instead of in church. Polling data shows that nearly half of Americans would disapprove if their child married an atheist and nearly 40 percent of Americans don’t see atheists as sharing their vision of American society, numbers that outstripped similar prejudices toward Muslims and African Americans.

Of course, the real reason atheists are so hated has little to do with jealousy for all their free time, but largely because most Americans are better acquainted with myths than with the realities of atheists' lives. Unfortunately, atheists often have these myths tossed in their faces, usually by believers who would rather talk about what they heard atheists are like rather than uncomfortable subjects such as the lack of proof for any gods.

These myths do more than hurt atheists. They also harm the basic religious freedoms of all Americans, regardless of their beliefs. Religious freedom and tolerance don’t mean much if they can’t be expanded to include those without religion. With that in mind, here’s 10 of the ugliest myths about atheists, debunked:

I had no idea that some people feel this strongly about atheism or that atheists are hated BECAUSE they're atheists.

Read the list at the link.

Another myth they left out are that atheists don't all support the queer rights movement.
I didn't think all atheists supported queer rights. I thought all atheists were queer so hated any deity that would have made them that way.

I would see that as the will of the person who dragged him around. We live in one forsaken evil world. Great thing that there can be hope in the afterlife. Especially in the case of the Freddie Grey's of this life. Hey, remember what the world did to Christ Himself.
Will you get over it? In the time it takes me to type this 50 people in america just got raped tortured and or murdered.

So god sending one son to take one for the team is not very impressive. Especially if I knew theyd be talking about me for the next 10 thousand freaking years. Martyr.

Forum List

Back