10 Myths about atheists debunked

It's been proven over and over.Children are taught what is "proper" and what is not.

Yes and people can overcome false conditions, recover from abuse,
and start life with a clear slate.

As for children, if they follow what people do, instead of what they say, you can get drastically different results.

I find if we focus on teaching adults to be more consistent with thought, word and action,
the children will naturally follow. Sometimes it is the children who push for higher standards of compassion for others, and inspire adults to let go of conditions and look at the bigger picture.

Anyone can grow and change at any age.
With forgiveness and spiritual healing, people have changed overnight.
Cycles of oppression and abuse from the past will eventually break, it's just a matter of time, because people want happiness and security in life, and don't want suffering. So eventually all causes of problems will get addressed, because someone will protest.

The human spirit is driven toward freedom from fear and suffering, and the conscience will not stop until anything in the way is removed or resolved.

dilloduck I think you are looking at a limited segment of the entire learning curve. You would have to see the whole process from start to finish to see where each person is.
Selfish conflict and destruction is one stage, but if you look at people who got past that, you can see a microcosm of what all humanity will eventually go through to get to a better place. Ask anyone who has overcome abuse or addiction, and you will see a glimpse of humanity. So multiply that person's experience by 1000, or 1 million, and you can see why society is in such tumult, going through phases in turn but different timing.

We don't have to argue all day. There are no natural laws. Believers and athiests have both conocted their own dramas and not surprisingly they mock each other.

You are funny.
People did not invent the laws of the universe.
We did not create how our human conscience works.

We inherit patterns in our psychology from our parents, that's just how humans are.
We did not invent that. We can change HOW we respond, but we can't change the fact that we DO respond to each other.

What about the process of birth and death? Of sex and reproduction?
Are you saying humans control and created all that?

How did humans invent the DNA that determines our physical traits and development?

Maybe you are calling this something else besides natural laws.

What do you call the laws of science, of gravity, of seasons, of birds and reptiles
hatching from eggs, while humans and mammals develop different and have live births?

It's been proven over and over.Children are taught what is "proper" and what is not.

Okay and what mechanism in human nature
conditions us to MIMIC others? isn't that a natural law that, as you said,
"children are taught"

Look at the teaching process. Look at how the conscience is conditioned.
CAUSE and EFFECT.
action x brings response X
action z brings response Z.

If there weren't any rules, then anything would happen
x would randomly bring about response A or M or K
y would randomly bring about response B or P or Q

So how could children or anyone LEARN if there is no
pattern of one cause yielding a certain effect?

Isn't that a form of natural laws?

Did you or I create the psychology by which children learn by imitation?
Is this mechanism "manmade" or come by nature of being human

My entire career was counseling. Crisis intervention in the county ER and addiction counseling in various settings, ages and degrees. Society is nothing but a bunch of different people going thru familiar processes over and over. Some get better. Some stay the same,. Some get worse. It's been happening since the beginning of man. And THAT is a long segment.

Okay and what mechanism in human nature
conditions us to MIMIC others? isn't that a natural law that, as you said,
"children are taught"

Look at the teaching process. Look at how the conscience is conditioned.
CAUSE and EFFECT.
action x brings response X
action z brings response Z.

If there weren't any rules, then anything would happen
x would randomly bring about response A or M or K
y would randomly bring about response B or P or Q

So how could children or anyone LEARN if there is no
pattern of one cause yielding a certain effect?

Isn't that a form of natural laws?

Did you or I create the psychology by which children learn by imitation?
Is this mechanism "manmade" or come by nature of being human

People ( and animals ) mimic in order to survive.

Yes and people can overcome false conditions, recover from abuse,
and start life with a clear slate.

As for children, if they follow what people do, instead of what they say, you can get drastically different results.

I find if we focus on teaching adults to be more consistent with thought, word and action,
the children will naturally follow. Sometimes it is the children who push for higher standards of compassion for others, and inspire adults to let go of conditions and look at the bigger picture.

Anyone can grow and change at any age.
With forgiveness and spiritual healing, people have changed overnight.
Cycles of oppression and abuse from the past will eventually break, it's just a matter of time, because people want happiness and security in life, and don't want suffering. So eventually all causes of problems will get addressed, because someone will protest.

The human spirit is driven toward freedom from fear and suffering, and the conscience will not stop until anything in the way is removed or resolved.

dilloduck I think you are looking at a limited segment of the entire learning curve. You would have to see the whole process from start to finish to see where each person is.
Selfish conflict and destruction is one stage, but if you look at people who got past that, you can see a microcosm of what all humanity will eventually go through to get to a better place. Ask anyone who has overcome abuse or addiction, and you will see a glimpse of humanity. So multiply that person's experience by 1000, or 1 million, and you can see why society is in such tumult, going through phases in turn but different timing.

What up E?

The "House on the prairie" societal sample is a myth. Not one of us is observed from birth to death in any normal sense. From what I have observed most human change is accidental or out of necessity. We don't choose our place of birth and barely can see far enough ahead to make changes in ourselves.

Does death or near death cause change? Rarely. Most ODs go right back to their addiction. People act out like they were taught to act. Changes in these patterns are rare. Only the rich reach out for psychiatric help and they take years to change. All that ever really occurs is that they recognize there may be a problem. It is all futile really.

I had a neighbor that developed the "Primal Scream" therapy. He admitted in our long talks that he never helped anyone.

I had another neighbor, a psychiatrist, who upon seeing my mercenary nature attempted to get me to murder the interloping boyfriend of his long standing girlfriend outside his marriage.

Trust me..the world is crazy. You would be better served to learn to swim with the current than against it.

Just because someone calls them self a christian doesn't make them a christian or a Muslim a Muslim. The moral code I'm talking about is in the bible or whatever religious book used. If any "christian" isn't making an attempt at following the bible then they aren't a christian. It's that simple. You can find preachers/priests who molest. You can also find atheists who molest. You act as if I believe anyone who claims a religion is perfect.
This is what we'll do. We will look at the bible and see if any christian follows it's moral code. Any morals could not be self examined outside of the bible because that would mean you were using a moral barometer outside of the bible. This means everything and I mean everything that God proclaims in the bible is moral. There is no way you can claim any of his actions or laws or lessons as bad or wrong or misunderstood or even open to interpertation.

Now the amount of material to be covered in this topic is overwhelming. So I will only give a few examples.

-The Bible allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave.
-The Bible allows Child abuse including bashing babies against rocks.
-The Bible allows the killing of pregnant women by slicing them with swords.
-The Bible allows mass killing and genocide

This is just a few to get you thinking. You also stated this: If any "christian" isn't making an attempt at following the bible then they aren't a christian.

I will say that if any christian were to follow the bible without any kind of secular morality installed within themselves they would make the Westboro Baptists seem like disney on ice.

Last edited:
The teachings of Jesus consistently call for peaceful coexistence. You are confused about Christianity. It would be like saying the United States is pro slavery because it once was legal here.

We don't have to argue all day. There are no natural laws. Believers and athiests have both conocted their own dramas and not surprisingly they mock each other.

You are funny.
People did not invent the laws of the universe.
We did not create how our human conscience works.

We inherit patterns in our psychology from our parents, that's just how humans are.
We did not invent that. We can change HOW we respond, but we can't change the fact that we DO respond to each other.

What about the process of birth and death? Of sex and reproduction?
Are you saying humans control and created all that?

How did humans invent the DNA that determines our physical traits and development?

Maybe you are calling this something else besides natural laws.

What do you call the laws of science, of gravity, of seasons, of birds and reptiles
hatching from eggs, while humans and mammals develop different and have live births?

Why didnt we evolve so that instead of a handshake we had sex with each other to say hello. Or better question is why did we evolve out of it because that is what monkeys do.

The teachings of Jesus consistently call for peaceful coexistence. You are confused about Christianity. It would be like saying the United States is pro slavery because it once was legal here.
Are you saying like our constitution the bible can later be amended?

Just because someone calls them self a christian doesn't make them a christian or a Muslim a Muslim. The moral code I'm talking about is in the bible or whatever religious book used. If any "christian" isn't making an attempt at following the bible then they aren't a christian. It's that simple. You can find preachers/priests who molest. You can also find atheists who molest. You act as if I believe anyone who claims a religion is perfect.
This is what we'll do. We will look at the bible and see if any christian follows it's moral code. Any morals could not be self examined outside of the bible because that would mean you were using a moral barometer outside of the bible. This means everything and I mean everything that God proclaims in the bible is moral. There is no way you can claim any of his actions or laws or lessons as bad or wrong or misunderstood or even open to interpertation.

Now the amount of material to be covered in this topic is overwhelming. So I will only give a few examples.

-The Bible allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave.
-The Bible allows Child abuse including bashing babies against rocks.
-The Bible allows the killing of pregnant women by slicing them with swords.
-The Bible allows mass killing and genocide

This is just a few to get you thinking. You also stated this: If any "christian" isn't making an attempt at following the bible then they aren't a christian.

I will say that if any christian were to follow the bible without any kind of secular morality installed within themselves they would make the Westboro Baptists seem like disney on ice.
Christians say god hit the reset on all that and all you need to follow is what Jesus said and you'll be fine. He was a nice guy. I read the red letter bible. Loved to hear himself talk. Lol

Well then you need to repply to the right post you are responding to. It's very easy. You go to the post you want to reply to and hit respond. Funny you say the video looks stupid when you come on here and proclaim that atheists are rude and mock others but when I show you evidence of christians being 10 times worse you completely ignore it. Now I can't prove but I believe you are a liar and you are not agnostic. Agnostic people usually see both sides where you clearly do not.
You cherry pick one video of a christian being rude claiming that as evidence and I don't watch it.
I could link many, many more but why bother if you can't respond or even watch the first one.

That's your version of me being rude.
No, I never said you were rude. I just find it odd that you are proclaiming atheists as rude and when I had evidence to show christians being worse you simply dismissed it. That is called taking a hypocritical stance.
If it was something that I considered real evidence I'd take it into account.
How is it not real evidence. Please elaborate.

I know I can find similar videos of atheists so what's the point in watching it?
The point was to show you your original stance was one sided and incorrect. Like I said before you can find instances on this forum on both sides being rude to each other. To proclaim only one is, is being dishonest. Also please provide thses videos were atheists are being as bad as the christians in the video I put up.
I know some Christians are rude but my claim stands based off the "myth" about atheism that was created because many people have experienced it within their own lives.
Sorry but you are going to have to explain this statement. What is the "myth" about atheism?
I like religion. Does me liking religion disqualify me from being agnostic?
No, but your blatant one sided approach is very suspect.
My statement is that essentially that the typical American atheist is more likely to viciously attack others beliefs and refer to them as stupid than other people. The OP had an article called ten myths about atheists. One of the myths was that they are rude and I am saying that it is in fact not a myth. It is there for a reason. Like a stereotype. Black people good at basketball, Asians good at math, or black people liking watermelon. I doubt there is any research into the claims I make for or against them. A video can be made by anyone and posted. I don't take online videos as serious evidence of a hateful culture because you could find ten videos and it wouldn't shock me at all that there are ten videos out there of Christians saying hateful things to atheists. That's why there's no point in watching it is because I already believe it exists. Jehovah witnesses may be annoying but I have yet to have one call me an idiot and say I can't be reasoned with. On the reverse side I have experienced this multiple times from discussions with atheists. I don't know why you would think that an atheist is above saying hateful things to people when there is literally no moral code as an atheist. You may be a good atheist but what about the next atheist? He could have his own set of principles completely the opposite of what you believe. There is no consistency. In a religion it is already outlined what you should do. If you don't follow it then you're fake.
I can prove to you that there is no moral code for christians either. Care to take the challenge?
I like it once an athiest said to a christian that said they dont believe non christians go to hell, to quit the religion because that's what it says.

But then you will see religion will get rid of that dogma as society doesnt like that so christianity will change with the times.

And if non christians dont go to heaven, where do we go? Where does it say that in the bible and why is this the first we're hearing about this? Also why for years have so many christians believed non believers went to hell? Who told them that? Their churches.

I've heard christians say good people get a chance to accept god in the end. If so at that point I'll accept god. But that's probably wishful thinking but hey, if it makes the end easier why not. Who's it hurting? But spoiler alert its all in your head.

I've heard christians say good people get a chance to accept god in the end. If so at that point I'll accept god. But that's probably wishful thinking but hey, if it makes the end easier why not. Who's it hurting? But spoiler alert its all in your head.

Do you really think that being near death will change your mind?

I think that would be the very last thing on my mind.

I posted about a documentary on the wonderful cartoonist, Gahan Wilson (it has been showing on Free Speech TV, if you're interested). He's in his 80s and talked of knowing that soon, he would not be here and feeling no anxiety or fear about that.

Are people are afraid of dying or of death? Or of pain and chronic illness at the end?

God is not a part of my life and really can't imagine that he could be a part of my death.

Do you really think that being near death will change your mind?

I think that would be the very last thing on my mind.

I posted about a documentary on the wonderful cartoonist, Gahan Wilson (it has been showing on Free Speech TV, if you're interested). He's in his 80s and talked of knowing that soon, he would not be here and feeling no anxiety or fear about that.

Are people are afraid of dying or of death? Or of pain and chronic illness at the end?

God is not a part of my life and really can't imagine that he could be a part of my death.
And if there is a god he's given me no good reasons to believe in him. Every "belief" theists have comes from their hearts not their minds.

Do you need god to be good? I say no. Do you need a god to create the cosmos? Probably not.

I was told that christians follow the moral code through the bible. In fact his exact words were "The moral code I'm talking about is in the bible or whatever religious book used. If any "christian" isn't making an attempt at following the bible then they aren't a christian."
Also I've heard thousands of christians say this whether it was on an internet forum, a public arena, the media, countless books and in person. Pulling out "just what Jesus said would mean you would have to follow these passages.

-"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place."
-“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Now you may want to argue Jesus meant this or Jesus meant that but I think I just proved my assertion correct that no christian gets their moral code through the bible.

Well naturally-----as are everything an atheist believes.

Forum List

Back