10 Myths about atheists debunked

I don't think number 6 is really a myth.

I think it applies to the majority of American atheists. Most of them are ex-Christians who's moral code was tied to ther religion since early childhood. When they lose their religion their moral code goes with it.
This is ignorant and wrong.

All the items listed in the linked article are in fact myths, including 5 and 6.

Those free from faith do in fact have a moral code, a moral code which is just as valid as theists' moral codes, as all moral codes come from the same place.

I agree Jonesy, everyone has a moral code.

Incorrect.

'Belief' plays no role in acknowledging the fact that there is no 'god' as perceived by theists, as 'god' and religion are creations of man.

'God' does exist as a human contrivance, the 'collective goodness of all mankind,' for example.

But there is no omnipotent extraterrestrial deity that intercedes on the behalf of mortals, listens and responds to prayers, and issues religious edicts that must be obeyed lest the transgressors suffer some sort of postmortem 'punishment' – that requires no 'belief' to acknowledge to be in fact false.[/QUOTE]

Then present your evidence. Without evidence, belief is all it is.

Let's start here. Define "god" and present your evidence that your definition is accurate.

I am an agnostic.

You can look at pictures of Mt. Olympus and there is no indication of any habitation as described in the Greek myths, and I can explain how lighting in not thrown and that the sun is not a chariot. This is based upon evidence.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster was made up and I can trace the origins of it to support that position. Again, evidence based.
Santa Claus is likewise a construct, the current model being a creation of the Coca Cola company. Evidence based.

Getting somewhere is fine. But pretending you know what you do not know in order to do it is less than honest. Just say I believe there is no god and accept the fact that it is a belief.
What truly silly, confused rambling. Do you somehow look at the moon and see evidence of the gods? Why do you not see Zeus when you look at pictures of Mt. Olympus?

Pretending you know Zeus is not actually on My. Olympus is just your religious belief. Where is your evidence?

Download google earth and take a look. Or, if you have the cash, go to Greece and climb to the top.
So you admit you have no evidence. You're entitled to your religious belief but that's all it is. Your Atheism is just a religious belief.

Ok. It's a belief. No problem. My Atheism is just a religious belief, like all Atheism. I'm glad we finally agree. :)
How does an Atheist hold a religious belief?

You're not well thought out on your various religions.

If you define "religious belief" as a god-based belief, then that is how Atheists hold a religious belief. You just told me my Atheism is a religious belief and I was agreeing with you.

“Atheists are moral, loving and multicultural.”

True.

Those free from faith live joyful, fulfilling lives of meaning and significance, with the correct understanding that there is no 'god' as perceived by theists, where 'god' and religion are creations of man.

And no, being free from faith is not a 'religion.'

Not true, as all blanket statements are not true. Atheists are no more or less moral or live joyful, fulfilling lives than anyone else.

And I have yet to meet an Atheist who was free from faith. Including you.

You know, I really want to know the opinions of an ardent agnostic on the existence of Zeus, the flying spaghetti monster and Santa Claus.

I want to determine for myself if their arguments are really based on healthy skepticism or troubling Solipsism.

Understand, Solipsism is fine and fundamentally correct--the problem is you can't get anywhere with it.

I am an agnostic.

You can look at pictures of Mt. Olympus and there is no indication of any habitation as described in the Greek myths, and I can explain how lighting in not thrown and that the sun is not a chariot. This is based upon evidence.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster was made up and I can trace the origins of it to support that position. Again, evidence based.
Santa Claus is likewise a construct, the current model being a creation of the Coca Cola company. Evidence based.

Getting somewhere is fine. But pretending you know what you do not know in order to do it is less than honest. Just say I believe there is no god and accept the fact that it is a belief.

But we can make the same observation of Heaven not floating in the sky nor existing in a realm between the Sun and Earth.

Can I use that argument, which has been presented as the realm for the Judaic God, as proof that the Judaic God does not exist?

No, you can't. All that proves is there is no heaven floating in the sky or existing in the realm between the Sun and Earth. It might prove that what some people believe isn't true. I can show that what some people believed about George Washington isn't true, but that does not prove he never existed. Reality does not depend upon what human beings do or do not believe.

If you believe this god does not exist, that is perfectly acceptable. I believe that god does not exist. Just don't attempt to pretend it is something more than that. It's just a belief. Atheism is just another god-based belief.

But that is what the authors of Genesis proposed--A flat Earth that floated on a sea and a Firmament that was both solid and transparent seperated a second sea above the Earth. Also the universe itself was mostly a chaotic sea from which monsters lived in. The realm of God was either in the sky above the Earth or in a region higher that was between the Earth and the Sun.

All of which has been disproven--all of which that follows the Logic you used to disprove Zeus.

To give you an idea of what you are doing, I can argue that because you went to Mt Olympus and didn't see the habitats of the Gods nor believe that lighting bolts can be thrown only serves a belief that Zeus does not exist(Apollo is the one in the chariot--I did not ask if Apollo existed or not)

I can then say because you disprove that does not necessitate the non-existence of Zeus. I.E.. Since I can disprove what some people claim about Zeus does not lead to Zeus not existing.

This means that you need new evidence to show that Zeus does not exist since the previous evidence you used does not necessitate Zeus nonexistence.

Your argument was at first skepticism in your disproofs--but you are slowly reaching for Solipsism in your arguments--The proposal for the Judaic God starts in Genesis. If that is disproven, then what in the hell are the later writers talking about?

I think it applies to the majority of American atheists. Most of them are ex-Christians who's moral code was tied to ther religion since early childhood. When they lose their religion their moral code goes with it.

All the items listed in the linked article are in fact myths, including 5 and 6.

Those free from faith do in fact have a moral code, a moral code which is just as valid as theists' moral codes, as all moral codes come from the same place.
That doesn't jibe with my observations. People who lose thier religion often lose their morals with it.

I've seen it happen too many times for anyone to convince me otherwise.

What truly silly, confused rambling. Do you somehow look at the moon and see evidence of the gods? Why do you not see Zeus when you look at pictures of Mt. Olympus?

Pretending you know Zeus is not actually on My. Olympus is just your religious belief. Where is your evidence?

Download google earth and take a look. Or, if you have the cash, go to Greece and climb to the top.
So you admit you have no evidence. You're entitled to your religious belief but that's all it is. Your Atheism is just a religious belief.

Ok. It's a belief. No problem. My Atheism is just a religious belief, like all Atheism. I'm glad we finally agree. :)
How does an Atheist hold a religious belief?

You're not well thought out on your various religions.

If you define "religious belief" as a god-based belief, then that is how Atheists hold a religious belief. You just told me my Atheism is a religious belief and I was agreeing with you.
You're backsliding on the terms of your own argument. Its actually comical how you have completely contradicted your own definition of atheism as a religion. You make hilariously silly statements wherein you insist that you know with certainty that Zeus is not living on Mt. Olympus as a statement of religious faith.

You know, I really want to know the opinions of an ardent agnostic on the existence of Zeus, the flying spaghetti monster and Santa Claus.

I want to determine for myself if their arguments are really based on healthy skepticism or troubling Solipsism.

Understand, Solipsism is fine and fundamentally correct--the problem is you can't get anywhere with it.

I am an agnostic.

But we can make the same observation of Heaven not floating in the sky nor existing in a realm between the Sun and Earth.

Can I use that argument, which has been presented as the realm for the Judaic God, as proof that the Judaic God does not exist?

No, you can't. All that proves is there is no heaven floating in the sky or existing in the realm between the Sun and Earth. It might prove that what some people believe isn't true. I can show that what some people believed about George Washington isn't true, but that does not prove he never existed. Reality does not depend upon what human beings do or do not believe.

If you believe this god does not exist, that is perfectly acceptable. I believe that god does not exist. Just don't attempt to pretend it is something more than that. It's just a belief. Atheism is just another god-based belief.
How is Atheism a "god based belief" when the conclusion is that gods don't exist?

On the other hand, your belief that Zeus doesn't exist is the true god based belief system/religion.

It is a belief system about gods. That it is negative does not change that.

You are going to have to explain to me why a belief that no god exists (without even defining what "god" is) is not a belief system but saying Zeus does not exist is.

I don't believe in Bigfoot. I have no belief system about Bigfoot. I don't have to prove Bigfoot doesn't exist. You have to prove Bigfoot does exist. I'm going to hold your evidence to the same standards we have for scientists.

13h26Oi2mV1420C111474.jpg

“Atheists are moral, loving and multicultural.”

True.

Those free from faith live joyful, fulfilling lives of meaning and significance, with the correct understanding that there is no 'god' as perceived by theists, where 'god' and religion are creations of man.

And no, being free from faith is not a 'religion.'

Not true, as all blanket statements are not true. Atheists are no more or less moral or live joyful, fulfilling lives than anyone else.

And I have yet to meet an Atheist who was free from faith. Including you.
Faith is to believe in the dogma of a given religion and accept it as true; to be free from faith is to acknowledge the existence of religious doctrine and acknowledge the fact that the dogma is false.

All 'gods' and religions are the creation of man, and all religions are equally false.

That doesn't jibe with my observations. People who lose thier religion often lose their morals with it.

Nonsense.

One doesn't start to behave in an 'immoral manner' simply because he no longer practices a given faith.

Morality and religion are not synonymous, and are at times at odds.

I don't know if all religions are equally false.

I tend not to give much credence to religions that propose the impossible(i.e. miracles), make promises or threats since to me that is desperate tactics used by a person that does not believe what he is saying.

Not all religions do that. So you have to figure out other ways to find out if it is truthful or not. Then that is not the end of the story since it can still be practical despite lacking truth.

I'm agnostic and I'm just going to say that atheists are worse than Jehovah Witnesses or any other religious organization I've encountered throughout my life. Most closed minded to other people's belief systems and choices to not be atheist. I know tons of atheists cause I'm in a scientific field therefore work with many. They consistently mock others and are flat out rude about religion. I'd never be atheist as for no other reason than to not be associated with up etty pricks like that.

Nonsense.

One doesn't start to behave in an 'immoral manner' simply because he no longer practices a given faith.

Morality and religion are not synonymous, and are at times at odds.
Whether they are synonymous is 100% irrelevant.

Fact of the matter is I've seen it happen so consistantly that I'm convinced. Especially the ones who lose their religion in their teens and early 20s.

They become very hateful of Christians and their morals simply go out the window. I bet I could accurately identify at least 90% of athiests who are ex-Christians on this board simply by the hate they spew.

BTW, that does not apply to people who were brought up as athiests. Us athiests who are not ex-Christians learned our morals without them being tied to religion and tend to very very tolerant of religious folks.

I'm agnostic and I'm just going to say that atheists are worse than Jehovah Witnesses or any other religious organization I've encountered throughout my life. Most closed minded to other people's belief systems and choices to not be atheist. I know tons of atheists cause I'm in a scientific field therefore work with many. They consistently mock others and are flat out rude about religion. I'd never be atheist as for no other reason than to not be associated with up etty pricks like that.

Hey, We saw atheists like Richard Dawkins make millions from being a self righteous arrogant prick, so we said "Hey, why the F### not?"

No more Mr. Nice Guy--We are going to march on Washington--once our numbers reach 1 million in the US--which may take a couple of decades since rude and arrogant people are the least likely to convert anyone.

Just you watch--by 2070 or 80 or 90--we are going to perform a million angry atheist march on DC! Just you watch!!

Hey, We saw atheists like Richard Dawkins make millions from being a self righteous arrogant prick, so we said "Hey, why the F### not?"

No more Mr. Nice Guy--We are going to march on Washington--once our numbers reach 1 million in the US--which may take a couple of decades since rude and arrogant people are the least likely to convert anyone.

Just you watch--by 2070 or 80 or 90--we are going to perform a million angry atheist march on DC! Just you watch!!
You go for it girl. If marching on Washington makes you happy pursue your dream. I really don't think these stereotypes grew from no where. It's not like the majority of public is sheltered from atheists friends or co workers. I've met and talked with several hundred atheists probably and have grown my opinion from that. Also atheists make very offensive jokes to some people. Really just over the top uncalled for jokes. I'm all for people not being sensitive and freedom of speech but saying things I've heard in public is just gross.

I assume you are an Atheist. Do you hold no opinion on the existence of god? IOW, do you see it as equally likely that there is a god as there isn't? If not, upon what do you base that conclusion?

Because there is absolutely no evidence that a god exists. Only belief. Everything else is tangible and provable.

No. My position is that Atheism is a belief. That is the only conclusion I am putting forth here and it is based upon the statement that any conclusion arrived at in the absence of evidence is a belief.

You will get no argument from me that Theism isn't based upon belief. I am simply holding Atheists to the same standard. If your position is not based upon evidence, then it is based upon belief.

Atheism is not a belief. You are asking the impossible: to provide evidence of something that doesn't exist.

And it is not the same standard. Religion and atheism are two different things. One believes in an omnipotent god(s) and has as set of instructions to live by that have been set out by this god(s). The other just doesn't believe in god(s).

Your argument is silly on so many levels it's hard to know where to start. What do you do for an encore, ask those that don't believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny to prove they don't exist?

If you're going to make an argument for something at least make it rational. You appear to be arguing for the sake of it.

Last edited:

I am an agnostic.

You can look at pictures of Mt. Olympus and there is no indication of any habitation as described in the Greek myths,
there is no indication of a Mt. Sinai as decribed by the christian myths

and I can explain how lighting in not thrown and that the sun is not a chariot. This is based upon evidence.
And I can explain how the earth is older than 6000 years and how it is impossible for snakes to talk. This is based upon evidence.
The Christian god was made up and I can and I can trace the origins of it to support that position. Again, evidence based.
Santa Claus is based on St. Nicolas who was real.

No more a belief than your rejection of Zeus, The Flying Spaghetti monster and everything else you don't believe.

Forum List

Back