10 reasons why so many people are moving to Texas

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Tom Geoghegan BBC News, Washington @ BBC News - 10 reasons why so many people are moving to Texas
_67854558_texas_comp.jpg

Half of the 10 fastest-growing cities in the US are in Texas, according to new figures. Why?
Every way you look at it, there are a lot of people moving to Texas.

Five of the 10 fastest-growing cities in the country between 2011 and 2012 were in Texas, according to new figures from the US Census Bureau. New York is way out in front in terms of added population, but Houston is second with San Antonio and Austin fourth and fifth.
Read more at the link.

Texas is a great place to visit but when given the opportunity to move there (promotion), we declined.
The reason was the education system, which is less than stellar. At the time both my daughters were in grade school and after researching the education system,we decided to stay put in a state that ranked in the top five nationally. Both of our daughters went on to college and both graduated with honors and have done very well for themselves thanks to a good education.
That said, I have friends of mine that winter in Texas's "Hill Country" and they enjoy living there part-time.

10 reasons why so many people are moving to Texas

It is on the Mexican border

Texas is a great place to visit but when given the opportunity to move there (promotion), we declined.
The reason was the education system, which is less than stellar. At the time both my daughters were in grade school and after researching the education system,we decided to stay put in a state that ranked in the top five nationally. Both of our daughters went on to college and both graduated with honors and have done very well for themselves thanks to a good education.
That said, I have friends of mine that winter in Texas's "Hill Country" and they enjoy living there part-time.

Forget public education. There are charter schools popping up all over Texas that provides a much better education.

I lived in Texas several times in my life. I visited Victoria during the annual Victoria Days event, and watched them select, "Miss Vacant Lot" in 1979. I attended that cow pie throwing contest, but did not get a good seat because my view was blocked by the sign reading, "Licking your fingers after cow pie throwing is prohibited". The annual dominos tournament in Waco was thrilling! Watching drunk, nude college students fload down the Guadalupe river in the Spring was inspiring! One has not lived until they have been to a bar on saturday night where the band plays behind chicken wire. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that I am still waiting for the state to become civilized before I move there again.

Any of you who have children in school and are thinking of moving to Texas, think carefully.

Last edited:
I lived in Texas several times in my life. I visited Victoria during the annual Victoria Days event, and watched them select, "Miss Vacant Lot" in 1979. I attended that cow pie throwing contest, but did not get a good seat because my view was blocked by the sign reading, "Licking your fingers after cow pie throwing is prohibited". The annual dominos tournament in Waco was thrilling! Watching drunk, nude college students fload down the Guadalupe river in the Spring was inspiring! One has not lived until they have been to a bar on saturday night where the band plays behind chicken wire. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that I am still waiting for the state to become civilized before I move there again.

Don't forget the Freer Rattlesnake Round Up!

Actually, if people are moving to Texas...more power to them. I won't be one of them....ever. I've done my time in Texas Hell.

Any of you who have children in school who are thinking of moving to Texas, think carefully.

Unless they are football players or pretty cheerleaders.

Wait until all those Californians that are moving in start demanding the quality of life issues they left behind.

Wait until all those Californians that are moving in start demanding the quality of life issues they left behind.

In the smaller towns, hamlets, and villages, such demands will run smack into the local families who control the folks through poverty and intimidation.

In the smaller towns, hamlets, and villages, such demands will run smack into the local families who control the folks through poverty and intimidation.

I remember seeing SHARE CROPPERS as still a viable way of doing business. :eek:

Forum List

Back