10 reasons why so many people are moving to Texas

I knew this would be good.
Links and photos please.

Good lords...that was when I was stationed in Kingsville then Corpus in the late 70s. Get a grip....besides there was nothing out there TO take a picture of.......flat...cotton...flat...cotton....sharecropper shack...flat...cotton...cotton gin....flat...cotton...cotton....flat....sharecropper shack...flat...cotton...for about 40 miles.

In the 70's? Lies by omission are still lies.
And I can promise you this. If anyone lived in those shacks it was by choice.

Um....you know....sharecropping is by choice too. Didn't you know that?

Good lords...that was when I was stationed in Kingsville then Corpus in the late 70s. Get a grip....besides there was nothing out there TO take a picture of.......flat...cotton...flat...cotton....sharecropper shack...flat...cotton...cotton gin....flat...cotton...cotton....flat....sharecropper shack...flat...cotton...for about 40 miles.

In the 70's? Lies by omission are still lies.
And I can promise you this. If anyone lived in those shacks it was by choice.

Um....you know....sharecropping is by choice too. Didn't you know that?

No shit nimrod. So whats your point?

A friend of mine believed the funnest, craziest, sexiest, and most dangerous women come from Houston.

I gave a presentation to a student audience from Kashmere, and those teen girls were amazing. I nearly went and became black. Wow!

I lived a lot of years in and out of Texas, and no other state flat compares for most beautiful and fun female personalities in the states.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1711937765229.png

1711937829487.png

• Taxes: We all know property taxes are high in Texas. They actually weren't that bad for us and ranged from 2% to 3% depending on the neighborhood. We bought a home at 2.1% and, with the homestead exception, were paying at 1.79% (vs. 1.25% in California). Don't buy at 3%; you won't be able to sell and your house won't appreciate.
  • Power: Energy is incredibly expensive. You want a big house, and they're so cheap, but then it costs a fortune to heat and cool. We were paying $400 per month during the summer and winter and we were uncomfortable (our thermostat was set to 79 degrees F in the summer, and 65 degrees F in the winter). To be comfortable would have cost us $700 to $1,000 per month.
  • Water: Water is also shockingly expensive. In NW Austin they pump water from Lake Travis, which is only a few miles away, but that doesn't stop greedy water collectives from shaking you down. We paid $89 per month just for the privilege of being connected to city water (using 0 gallons). And they just jacked that base rate to $97. We had a well for landscape watering, but otherwise our water bill for a young family, watering about 10,000 square feet of grass would have easily been $300 to $400 per month. New sod? Try $1,200 per month, for water. Our water in San Diego (and now San Jose) was cheaper, during a drought, and we got it from like two states away.
  • Services: We thought living in Texas, stuff would be cheap, but with so many people moving to Austin, the service industry is in red hot demand. Expensive pool maintenance, expensive landscaping services, expensive home repairs, expensive dining and movies.
  • Travel: For reasons described below, most anyone who can leaves Austin for a month or two during the summer to escape the heat. That's expensive since to get anywhere interesting involves flying and hotel stays. Budget another several thousand dollars per year.
  • Weather: Texas weather is hard on houses. Hail storms will ruin your roof, torrential rain and scorpions will get inside. We spent tens of thousands on unexpected home repairs and remediation, and talking to other people, it wasn't uncommon.
  • Finally — key point — lifestyle: Although we doubled the size of our house (and kitchen and yard), we felt more cramped and cooped up in Austin than San Diego or San Jose due to the bad weather and lack of public spaces. A 2,000-square-foot house with a yard in Austin is cheap compared to the same house in San Diego, but offers nowhere close to the same lifestyle because your yard in San Diego is living space and in Austin it's not.

Forum List

Back