12 Years A Slave: Why Did I Win Best Picture?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
tumblr_n1ugh8VpZr1rm001ko8_r1_500.jpg

I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

Is racism Hollywood's topic dejour now? Is that why it won?

Last edited:
I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it, but it won an Oscar for best picture.

Maybe you should see it before making judgements.

And finally dealing with slavery in a truthful manner instead of the "Gone With the Wind" and "Song of the South" fairy tales..is a good thing.

I saw the movie but have no interest in the Oscars. I use my own judgement on what I like.

It was a good movie, well acted and very believably portrayed. It's based on a book that's based on a true story. Parts are horrible to watch and no doubt would fan the flames of emotion with certain elements of society. But picking the scabs of emotional scars is what Hollywood loves to do. Since I have no white guilt I just watched the movie as entertainment but for some it obviously meant more.

No more than the Godfather made organized crime Hollywoods "topic detour" being that it was the first movie whose SEQUEL also won Best Picture, as did the original.

I saw 12 Years A Slave twice. I thought it was a good movie that was a human interest story that was based on a sad fact, but it had a happy ending, and unfortunately it will probably now be viewed as a "guilt trip" ploy or a form of "racial agitating" by those who are hypersensitive to the very term "racism". The good news is that enough people saw it for what it really was.....
a compelling story that had all of the elements that make a movie good entertainment.

Last edited:
It is obviously a left wing Holywood depiction of slavery

We need a conservative movie which shows slaves singing and dancing, slaves joining the Confederate Army to fight to maintain slavery and of course more black slave owners

I saw the movie but have no interest in the Oscars. I use my own judgement on what I like.

It was a good movie, well acted and very believably portrayed. It's based on a book that's based on a true story. Parts are horrible to watch and no doubt would fan the flames of emotion with certain elements of society. But picking the scabs of emotional scars is what Hollywood loves to do. Since I have no white guilt I just watched the movie as entertainment but for some it obviously meant more.

I agree, and for those who are so thin skinned that they would have guilt feelings, they need to know that even though the main character was captured by some "bad characters", he was also saved by some good ones who were concerned enough to listen to his story and help him make it home.

We need a conservative movie which shows slaves singing and dancing, slaves joining the Confederate Army to fight to maintain slavery and of course more black slave owners

Funny, Democrats were the slave owners bud.

Open a book for once.

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

There were no Republicans at the time.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

You might want to take your own advice.

Mudwhistle has an agenda, as he accuses the same of the movie producers.

Open a book for once.

And it was liberals who fought against slavery

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

The Republican party was the LIBERAL wing of the Whig party..who did own slaves.

Are you saying that Democrats didn't oppose abolition?

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

Open a book for once.

Sure enough were.

You're saying Lincoln wasn't a Republican? Why did they create a Republican Party?

I enjoy it when Republicans reminisce about the time when they actually fought for the rights of the downtrodden

My question is this, why must Hollywood continue race-baiting?

Isn't it just a veiled attempt to foment racial tension, and isn't this all just political?

Obama said the Cold War has been over for 20 years. It's yesterday's news to him. Slavery has been over for roughly 150 years, yet they still want to bring it up and give it awards, as if it is a new subject matter.

Sure enough were.

I enjoy it when Republicans reminisce about the time when they actually fought for the rights of the downtrodden

We still are. Democrats are still enslaving the downtrodden and the rest of us are being ridiculed for trying to prevent it.

Democrats say that working less means more freedom. From what? Freedom from success? Poverty is not freedom. It is the lack of freedom.

Democrats discourage marriage (unless it's same-sex marriage).

Democrats are busy working to increase poverty at the same time they're splurging on corporate welfare in the form of Quantitative Easing, and at the same time they're intentionally driving up the costs of everything. If this isn't a form of enslavement, I don't know what it is.

Last edited:

Not seen the movie yet, but I have read about the true story of Mr. Northrup....the truth is quite compelling....a educated, free black man kidnapped and held in slavery for 12 years...having to hide his education or else be punished....severely.

Forum List

Back