18 year old charged with sex with 14 year old.

"Altman, a Rockledge Republican who represents Sebastian, plans to propose a bill next year dealing with the age limits in Florida’s sex offenses law. It’s illegal for a person 18 or older to have sex with someone younger than 16 in Florida, regardless of consent. In Hunt’s case, her then-14-year-old girlfriend filed charges in February over sexual engagement, which is detailed in an arrest affidavit.

“There are just better ways of dealing with this issue than through our courts and criminal justice system,” Altman said. “They’re using the same system designed to go after murderers, rapists and child abductors. That’s just flat out wrong. And it’s hurting these kids.” ....

Altman stressed that judges need to have more discretion in these cases.

“Our criminal justice system should be designed to allow human reason, rationale and judgment to come into this, and not just simple enforcement of hard, cold numbers,” Altman said.

Hunt’s attorney, Julia Graves, said in a prepared statement that she would fight “to have the (state) law changed so no other teenager finds themselves in this position.”

Though Altman said he hasn’t been in touch with the family, he’s moving forward with his bill next legislative session.

“We have 18-year-olds that are in high school that are classmates with 15-year-olds, 14-year-olds,” Altman said. “ ... I think we need to take a very hard look at this and try to provide rational standards that really are appropriate to our youth. These kids should not have to be going through what they’re going through right now.”

State Sen. Altman says he hopes to revise sex offenses law, offering protection to 18-year-olds like Kaitlyn Hunt » TCPalm Mobile

I really don't understand why anyone would want to justify a 13 year old being involved in a sexual relationship. We need to not forget this relationship started when the younger one was 13. How can any rational, caring adult justify a 13 year old being involved in a sexual relationship? The older girl at that time was 17. There is a HUGE difference there. The 17 year old was old enough to have been sexually active for a couple of years, and she pulled a 13 year old into that kind of behavior. The older person needs to know that is wrong. Someone that age should realize 13 is too young to be involved in a sexual relationship.

As far as the courts dealing with this in a different way, perhaps, as long as it doesn't lead to our accepting that it is perfectly okay for 12, 13 and 14 year olds to be sexually active, especially with people several years their senior.

"Altman, a Rockledge Republican who represents Sebastian, plans to propose a bill next year dealing with the age limits in Florida’s sex offenses law. It’s illegal for a person 18 or older to have sex with someone younger than 16 in Florida, regardless of consent. In Hunt’s case, her then-14-year-old girlfriend filed charges in February over sexual engagement, which is detailed in an arrest affidavit.

“There are just better ways of dealing with this issue than through our courts and criminal justice system,” Altman said. “They’re using the same system designed to go after murderers, rapists and child abductors. That’s just flat out wrong. And it’s hurting these kids.” ....

“Our criminal justice system should be designed to allow human reason, rationale and judgment to come into this, and not just simple enforcement of hard, cold numbers,” Altman said.

Hunt’s attorney, Julia Graves, said in a prepared statement that she would fight “to have the (state) law changed so no other teenager finds themselves in this position.”

Though Altman said he hasn’t been in touch with the family, he’s moving forward with his bill next legislative session.

“We have 18-year-olds that are in high school that are classmates with 15-year-olds, 14-year-olds,” Altman said. “ ... I think we need to take a very hard look at this and try to provide rational standards that really are appropriate to our youth. These kids should not have to be going through what they’re going through right now.”

State Sen. Altman says he hopes to revise sex offenses law, offering protection to 18-year-olds like Kaitlyn Hunt » TCPalm Mobile

I really don't understand why anyone would want to justify a 13 year old being involved in a sexual relationship. We need to not forget this relationship started when the younger one was 13. How can any rational, caring adult justify a 13 year old being involved in a sexual relationship? The older girl at that time was 17. There is a HUGE difference there. The 17 year old was old enough to have been sexually active for a couple of years, and she pulled a 13 year old into that kind of behavior. The older person needs to know that is wrong. Someone that age should realize 13 is too young to be involved in a sexual relationship.

As far as the courts dealing with this in a different way, perhaps, as long as it doesn't lead to our accepting that it is perfectly okay for 12, 13 and 14 year olds to be sexually active, especially with people several years their senior.

She wasnt 13, she was 14 then turned 15.

I didn't do myself any good by googling I know that.

One thing that concerns me is that whatever this relationship was/is --it had been going on prior to one of them turning 18. So, legally--that's ok?

There are things that I really just don't want to know.

Can you please provide proof of what your saying.

Where are you getting your facts? I've repeatedly told you, and provided links to back up what I'm saying, that she wasn't 13. This is about a relationship between a sophomore and a senior. 2 girls who went to the same school, played on the same team, and sat in the same honors class.

What if she was an advanced student, who was a 9 year old sophomore?

Still okay?

It may not have been against the law back then, depending upon the state.

Parents get to protect their children from being preyed upon sexually by adults, or by other children. If someone sexually abuses them, then that person is breaking the law.

Get over it.

Where are you getting your facts? I've repeatedly told you, and provided links to back up what I'm saying, that she wasn't 13. This is about a relationship between a sophomore and a senior. 2 girls who went to the same school, played on the same team, and sat in the same honors class.

How is a 14 year old in 10th grade? When I was in 10th grade, I was 15, and I was younger than most of the others. I was 17 when I graduated and didn't turn 18 until the next autumn. It is normally 13-14 or 9th grade; 15-16, for 10th grade; 16-17 for 11th; and 17-18 for 12th. How is it a 10th grader is 14? If the average 10th grader were 14, then the average 12th grader would be 16, and they aren't. I don't care anyway; my point is, whether 13 or 14, it is too young to be involved in a sexual relationship. You are saying it's okay if one is a sophomore and one a senior, but there is at least 3 years difference between them, which at that age is a big deal. That's my opinion and I will not waver from it. I have extensive experience and contact with teenagers. I am on the side of the parents. I would not want my child to be influenced sexually by an older person, period. I would do anything in my power to prevent it. I am a she-bear when it comes to protecting children. Children are sexualized too early already in our society. They need to be allowed to be young and to come to their sexuality through their own personal maturity and development, not influenced by older kids.

Last edited:

How is a 14 year old in 10th grade? When I was in 10th grade, I was 15, and I was younger than most of the others. I was 17 when I graduated and didn't turn 18 until the next autumn. It is normally 13-14 or 9th grade; 15-16, for 10th grade; 16-17 for 11th; and 17-18 for 12th. How is it a 10th grader is 14? If the average 10th grader were 14, then the average 12th grader would be 16, and they aren't. I don't care anyway; my point is, whether 13 or 14, it is too young to be involved in a sexual relationship. You are saying it's okay if one is a sophomore and one a senior, but there is at least 3 years difference between them, which at that age is a big deal. That's my opinion and I will not waver from it. I have extensive experience and contact with teenagers. I am on the side of the parents. I would not want my child to be influenced sexually by an older person, period. I would do anything in my power to prevent it. I am a she-bear when it comes to protecting children. Children are sexualized too early already in our society. They need to be allowed to be young and to come to their sexuality through their own personal maturity and development, not influenced by older kids.

No, you made a specific point that the younger girl was 13. Which is incorrect. The girl turned 15 in the middle of the school year, same as the older girl turned 18 in the middle of the year.

You're entitled to your opinion that a 3 year age difference is a big deal at that age.

I definitely don't think it's appropriate, and if I were the younger girls parents I would have told my child she couldn't see the older girl. However, I don't believe in ruining an older child's life because of it.

I don't believe in allowing an adult to ruin my kids life.

Sorry, my 14 year old isn't going to be the sexual toy of anyone.

After reading through the thread--I assume jurors selected are going to have similar thoughts, questions and beliefs and perhaps be unable to return a verdict? Or there can/will be appeals if it is guilty? Lives put on hold for possibly decades.

Abstinence sounds like the better option given the alternatives.

Expelled from school, facing legal proceedings and consequences v. graduating from high school, perhaps with honors, starting college and enjoying some of life's better moments.

That would be all I would know to tell my kids. I assume 'someone'--parents, school or other did attempt to discuss all of this. Protect yourself.

'Love'--wanting what is best for the other person and related topics --sounds like more discussion of this would have been beneficial.

I definitely don't think it's appropriate, and if I were the younger girls parents I would have told my child she couldn't see the older girl. However, I don't believe in ruining an older child's life because of it.

The younger girl's parents told the older girl's parents. Told the older girl. The school tried to take some ineffective action. Going to the police was the last resort when all else had failed.

Parents of Kaitlyn Hunt?s alleged victim: We had no choice but to report lesbian relationship | The Raw Story

Hunt's parents seem to feel like refusing to have their daughter sexually molested is some kind of anti gay agenda. Because this is a lesbian relationship the younger girl's parents should have allowed it to continue.

No, you made a specific point that the younger girl was 13. Which is incorrect. The girl turned 15 in the middle of the school year, same as the older girl turned 18 in the middle of the year.

You're entitled to your opinion that a 3 year age difference is a big deal at that age.

I don't want the young woman's life ruined either; however, several ideas occur. One, if she had done what the parents wanted in the first place, she wouldn't be in this situation. I am sure they voiced their concerns and objections. She disregarded them; she was disrespectful to the parents and ignored their reasonable concern for their child. Two, there is a message sent here, if this is ignored, we condone the idea that it is okay for older kids to seduce and drag much younger kids into sexual relationships. Three: older kids need to know the law and follow it. It is just plain stupid she didn't know there was a law against what she was doing. Her life is not going to be ruined. All she has to do is take the plea deal and be done with it. Lesson learned. Message sent out to other teens that there are laws and there is a reason for them. As I said in this thread before: once you are 18, you have all the rights that go along with that, and all the responsibilities. About the only thing an 18 year old cannot do in the States is drink, and that is to protect them from their own bad judgement when it comes to drinking and driving. In other countries where most kids don't have their own cars, the drinking age is lower.

Last edited:
Hunts parents are pushing the gay aspect because its getting them attention and they are doing everything they can to save their child.

Kate's parents say that the other girls parents never contacted them about the relationship. The girls saw each other all the time, hung out at each others houses and the parents were friendly, speaking at games etc.

The parents disagree about how it came to a head, but the how doesn't change my opinion on the law as its written in Florida.

The law in Florida is just fine the way it is. It puts the age of consent at 16, which is still too young for a sexual relatinship, but is a reasonable compromise. It should not be changed just because this is a lesbian relationship and if the younger girl's parents were okay with the relationship they would never have gone to the police. If they opposed it because it was a lesbian seducing their daughter, they opposed it from the beginning. Or, at least when they found out that it wasn't friends, but something else.

Hunts parents are pushing the gay aspect because its getting them attention and they are doing everything they can to save their child.

Kate's parents say that the other girls parents never contacted them about the relationship. The girls saw each other all the time, hung out at each others houses and the parents were friendly, speaking at games etc.

The parents disagree about how it came to a head, but the how doesn't change my opinion on the law as its written in Florida.

I think both yours and Katz's (below) posts sound quite reasonable.

The law in Florida is just fine the way it is. It puts the age of consent at 16, which is still too young for a sexual relatinship, but is a reasonable compromise. It should not be changed just because this is a lesbian relationship and if the younger girl's parents were okay with the relationship they would never have gone to the police. If they opposed it because it was a lesbian seducing their daughter, they opposed it from the beginning. Or, at least when they found out that it wasn't friends, but something else.

They could very well have thought it was just friends, then when they realized there was a sexual component, tried to stop it. To me, this doesn't have to do with being gay or straight.

The younger girl's parents told the older girl's parents. Told the older girl. The school tried to take some ineffective action. Going to the police was the last resort when all else had failed.

Parents of Kaitlyn Hunt?s alleged victim: We had no choice but to report lesbian relationship | The Raw Story

Hunt's parents seem to feel like refusing to have their daughter sexually molested is some kind of anti gay agenda. Because this is a lesbian relationship the younger girl's parents should have allowed it to continue.

I struggle a bit with the younger girl's response as well as the older girl's.

It sounds like 'nothing anyone said' sunk into either head.

From a brief experience teaching middle school students--11-14--they were far more worldly than I was at that age. I tend to assume this could be true in this situation.

They could very well have thought it was just friends, then when they realized there was a sexual component, tried to stop it. To me, this doesn't have to do with being gay or straight.

They were informed by the basketball coach that the girls were not just friends.

If the authorities really wanted to put the screws on Hunt's parents, they could easily have charged them with a conspiracy allegation or charged them as an accessory.

They were informed by the basketball coach that the girls were not just friends.

If the authorities really wanted to put the screws on Hunt's parents, they could easily have charged them with a conspiracy allegation or charged them as an accessory.

So many issues.

I suppose the prosecutor will say--'This is the law'.

And the defense attorney will say--who knows? Something which includes sexual preference issues. That is where we are.

Forum List

Back