🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2014 World Cup Thread

The USA-Portugal match had a bigger TV audience than the World Series or the NBA finals.

With an audience of 25 million viewers for Sunday’s game between the United States and Portugal, the World Cup is moving into elite territory as a sports property on American television. Ratings for the game were the highest for any soccer game telecast in America and reached more viewers than events like the N.B.A. finals or the World Series.

Sunday’s game, which ended in a 2-2 tie after Portugal scored a late goal, attracted a total of 24.7 million viewers across two television networks, ESPN and Univision. The ESPN audience alone — 18.2 million viewers — set a record for a soccer game on American television. The previous record, for the 1999 Women’s World Cup final, which was won by the United States, was 17.9 million viewers. That game was on a broadcast network — ABC — rather than cable television. ...

While not near the totals scored by the N.F.L. playoffs or, certainly, the Super Bowl, the American audience for the World Cup game on Sunday easily eclipsed the N.B.A. finals this year, which averaged 15.5 million viewers, as well as the 2013 World Series, which averaged 14.9 million viewers. The N.H.L. playoffs are not even remotely as popular as the World Cup, having averaged only five million viewers this season.

Very cool. I know I will be watching!

Personally, I think the NBA is dying. Sterling cashed out at the peak!!

I watched the second half. It was what one would expect. Italy went to the final of Euro 2012 playing attractive football. They reverted back to form and got what they deserved.

I thought the red card was fair. He came over the top.
Yup, the red card was indeed warranted, however I was amazed in that Suarez didn't get a red card for biting Italy's Chiellini. Not even a yellow card. Chiellini showed the ref his bite mark, but no dice. Good comedy routine ... lol

It's hard to see in real time. The ref didn't see Suarez bite Branislav Ivanovic either. I have to imagine he's out of the World Cup.

I agree it is hard to see in real time, it was hard to see when he bit Ivanovic, and Otman too.

Suarez biting incident | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

WATCH: Uruguay's Luis Suarez appears to bite Italy defender - CBSSports.com

But when you slow his recent attack down it is clear what he did. He should be banned from the sport, human bites can be deadly.

suarez2.png

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I heard that the match between the U.S. and Portugal had more TV viewers than the NBA finals. Not bad for a sport that isn't supposed to be very popular here.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I heard that the match between the U.S. and Portugal had more TV viewers than the NBA finals. Not bad for a sport that isn't supposed to be very popular here.

Tell that to Stern Jr. and he'll dock the pay of all the refs who coached Spurs games.

Really tried to get into the game today. But watching 90 min of guys kicking a ball around and falling down while only scoring one goal just isn't my thing.
The occasional shots on goal were okay,but they were to far between to make it really exciting.

The reason I could not get a table at either Patricks or Beer Bar was because they were each rented out for a private party.

I need new friends, friends who rent out NYC Taverns for a Private World Cup party

USA played well. Germany was massive on defense. I counted only 1 US Corner.

CaféAuLait;9322640 said:
Yup, the red card was indeed warranted, however I was amazed in that Suarez didn't get a red card for biting Italy's Chiellini. Not even a yellow card. Chiellini showed the ref his bite mark, but no dice. Good comedy routine ... lol

It's hard to see in real time. The ref didn't see Suarez bite Branislav Ivanovic either. I have to imagine he's out of the World Cup.

I agree it is hard to see in real time, it was hard to see when he bit Ivanovic, and Otman too.

Suarez biting incident | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

WATCH: Uruguay's Luis Suarez appears to bite Italy defender - CBSSports.com

But when you slow his recent attack down it is clear what he did. He should be banned from the sport, human bites can be deadly.

suarez2.png
Looks like Suarez is out of the World Cup.

Luis Suárez suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity

Luis Suárez suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity - FIFA.com

The US will play Belgium. Belgium is pretty good but we can beat them.

Then, it will be Argentina. That will be tougher.

We'll play Algeria if they win and Belgium lose. There's probably a ten percent or less chance of that happening. But just saying, it's not set yet. That'd be a fun WC rematch. Though, I'd love to shut up Belgium's obnoxious supporters too.

As for Argentina, I think they looked pedestrian in a weak group. They're very beatable. Though, Messi can take over any game.

I am proud as can be for our team! I just hope the Belgian team is nowhere as good as their beer........ Otherwise we are toast!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were, on average, 2.79 goals per game, one of the highest rates in recent memory.

Advancing into the second round by confederation is as follows

South America - 6 entrants / 5 advanced / 83%
North America - 4 / 3 / 75%
Europe - 13 / 6 / 46%
Africa - 5 / 2 / 40%
Asia - 4 / 0 / 0%

Maybe CONCACAF should get an extra berth at the expense of Europe!

There were, on average, 2.79 goals per game, one of the highest rates in recent memory.

Europe - 13 / 6 / 46%
Africa - 5 / 2 / 40%
Asia - 4 / 0 / 0%

Why?

Europe - 13 / 6 / 46%
Africa - 5 / 2 / 40%
Asia - 4 / 0 / 0%

Why?

Because CONCACAF is doing better than Europe.

Also, because viewership is better than expected in the US, and the US has a LOT of money, TV rights are going to go up here. FIFA, therefore, will be incentivized to make it easier for us to qualify. You do that by giving CONCACAF another place, and its gotta come from somewhere.

Europe - 13 / 6 / 46%
Africa - 5 / 2 / 40%
Asia - 4 / 0 / 0%

Why?

Because CONCACAF is doing better than Europe.

Also, because viewership is better than expected in the US, and the US has a LOT of money, TV rights are going to go up here. FIFA, therefore, will be incentivized to make it easier for us to qualify. You do that by giving CONCACAF another place, and its gotta come from somewhere.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Forum List

Back