🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2014 World Cup Thread

...it certainly makes next week’s match with Germany more interesting!

My biggest concern is that team that come back from Manaus are drained. They need to spend some time in a hyperbaric chamber soon

:lol:

The US team has exceeded all expectations for me....

now Italy is another story..the blue need a win or tie against Uruguay to advance......

TBH, the plan was always to beat Ghana and then get a tie vs Portugal and then lose to Germany by less than the others and go to the next round on a tie breaker if not outright. Ghana tieing Germany throws a wrench into the spokes; cos now Germany hasn't qualified yet, and they won't be resting their starters.

That said, the way that this happened has been a bit crazy. I never thought we'd play so 'poorly' against Ghana and win and then play so well against Portugal and not get the win.

Okay...my thoughts so far.

* Croatia outplayed Brazil in the opening game. And were it not for the bogus PK call, Brazil would probably be going through to the next round in the second spot. Then we would have seen a Netherlands vs. Brazil match-up. That sucks cos that would've been awesome and unless they meet in the final we won't see it now.

* Fuck Jurgen Klinsmann for cutting Landon Donovan. He's still a top player stilll and our offense struggled against Ghana because of a lack of dynamic option.

* Awesome to see Klose tie the WC goals record. I hope he breaks it (but against the USA in a losing cause if not in the next round). After all, Ronaldo is the most over-rated piece of dung ever anyhow. But the best international scorer ever? Possibly Sanodr Kocsis. He scored 11 WC goals in just 5 games. But he played for Hungary, so he gets less glory. The dude also scored more goals than appearances; 75 in 69 games. That's bad ass!

List of FIFA World Cup goalscorers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* I love Raheem Sterling (and Gerard). But England looked less impressive than ever! Italy looked like nothing at the end of the game vs. Costa Rica either!

* Speaking of Costa Rica, how about them representing the CONCACAF? Three of four North American / Centeral American (CONCACAF) teams could go through to the next round if Mexico and USA join them. All the same, I'll be rooting for Croatia to crush Mexico. Besides being a hater, I think Croatia has played like one of the best five teams thus far. It'd be a shame for them to not advance. That'd make them the hard luck team of the tourney. That's good considering that they were one of the worst teams in qualifying (of the teams that made it to the WC). Though, if there was a worse team in qualifying, it was Mexico!

* Good to see Messi and Rooney finally get on the board in scoring at a WC. That said, I think Argentina aren't that great and I could care less about seeing them make a final. Iran exposed them. Let's hope someone buries them in the next round now.

* France playing great, but there group sucks. I'm looking forward to seeing them go down in flames.

* Australia played really good. They just got stuck in a ridiculously tough group. That goal by Cahill against the Netherlands was insane! Youtube it! Awesome goal!

* Bosnia is another hard luck team. They got screwed as that bad offside call in the Nigeria game took them out of the tourney! That sucks cos they would've been a fun team to see in the next round.

* F Belgium and their 'golden generation.' They would have went down in a stronger group. They'll go down soon enough though.

* Russia has played among the worst. But again, a weak group is saving them as they go through with a win vs. Algeria. And speaking of Algeria-- first African team to score 4 in a WC. But it was against South Korea who are possibly the worst team in the tourney. I guess they figured if North Korea wasn't there....

* Should be some awesome final matches in group play! Can't wait for US vs Germany!

Beat Ghana and the #4 team in the world had to score a last second goal to tie....that's pretty fucking good in my book

They'll still be going home after Thursday, unless Jurgen can cut some sort of deal with the German coach to guarantee a tie. The fact that this team has never gotten through the preliminary round in two consecutive World Cups tells me that they're really not world-class yet, and therefore there's no point in watching them... and I'm a soccer FAN.

...it certainly makes next week’s match with Germany more interesting!

Not really. Then again I'm not one who looks for "interesting". I prefer WINS.

Germany will go after the US but I suspect that if the match is level with 15-20 minutes remaining, they'll sit back for a draw, which would see them win the group. As long as the US doesn't get blown out, they'll advance. However, we aren't a good defensive side, so that's no sure thing.

Again, the tournament has been the best I've seen so far. Teams are going after each other, it's fairly unpredictable, and the average goals per game has been 2.9.

Germany will go after the US but I suspect that if the match is level with 15-20 minutes remaining, they'll sit back for a draw, which would see them win the group. As long as the US doesn't get blown out, they'll advance. However, we aren't a good defensive side, so that's no sure thing.

Winning by not losing, not a very American way of doing things.

Again, the tournament has been the best I've seen so far. Teams are going after each other, it's fairly unpredictable, and the average goals per game has been 2.9.

You need to realize, I'm an American fan, not a World Cup or World Soccer fan. My rooting interests end with the Stars & Stripes.

Let's look at those interests over the last 7 World Cups......

1990 - Knocked out in the Preliminary Round after qualifying for the WC for the first time in 40 years.

1994 - Advance to the Emlimination Round on an own goal that cost a Columbian player his life. Lose first game in Elimination Round

1998 - DEAD LAST in the tournament

2002 - Great start and advance to Elimination Round. Beat Mexico only to lose to Germany.

2006 - Fail to Go Through to Elimination Round.

2010 - Require last ditch goal in third Qualification round game to advance. Lose first game of the Elimination Round

Then we come to this year. The US qualifies for the tournament but had a much more difficult final round than it should have. Klinnsmann plays "musical players" with his team for much of the final round of qualifying and the year leading up to the Cup. Top US scorer of all time left off WC roster, leaving team with only ONE natural "Striker" on the roster.

Prior to the first game the US gets a HUGE break when Germany defeats Portugal by 4 goals in a game which also sees one of Portugals starting Defenders Red Carded and two other players injured prior to playing the US. The US takes this opportunity and starts off beautifully, scoring a first minute goal against Ghana, only to see the teams ONLY natural "striker" pull up lame 21 minutes into the game. The US goes into a total shell, finally giving up the inevitable tying goal in the 82nd minute, and is only bailed out by the incredible luck of a John Brooks goal in the 86th minute. Klinnsmann's ass is bailed out by a guy who almost didn't make the team. Serious conditioning questions are raised with the number of hamstring and cramping issues during the game.

We spend a week talking about how "marvelous" the US performance was, when instead we should have been seriously questioning Klinnsmann's decisions. Either way, the US is in good position to potentially advance, with a win or draw against a now undermaned Portugese team. Then the US gets even more fortune when Ghana and Germany play to a DRAW on Saturday. The US can advance with a WIN against Portugal.

Sunday comes around and the US comes out of the gate like they're asleep, giving up a fifth minute goal to one of the Portugese star players. After another fifteen minutes of lackluster play, they finally realize maybe they should show up and spend the next forty minutes trying to get the equalizer. Jermaine Jones bails their asses out with a gorgeous equalizer and nine minutes later they go ahead when the Captain scores for the second time in two games. Then they fall back into the 10 men behind the ball philosophy that has been the death of so many American teams in the past, and sure enough, they allow Portugal to snatch Victory/Draw from the jaws of Defeat in literally the last seconds of stoppage time..... ASSISTED BY THE TEAM'S MAIN STAR (anyone wanna think about covering him?)

This leaves the US in a precarious position. Instead of being in control of their own destiny, they now have to hope for a draw with Germany or help from Ghana/Portugal to advance.

I'm sorry but regardless of the outcomes on Thursday and going forward this year, the US Soccer Federation needs to come up with a new expectation - Semi-Finals by the end of the 2026 World Cup or we disband the entire US Men's National Soccer program.

Usa! Usa! Usa!

If that team gives me something to cheer about, I'll be happy to join you. Until they do, You'll be shouting alone. 84 years and counting since they won two consecutive games at the World Cup.... not much to cheer about.

You need to realize, I'm an American fan, not a World Cup or World Soccer fan. My rooting interests end with the Stars & Stripes.

1990 - Knocked out in the Preliminary Round after qualifying for the WC for the first time in 40 years.

1994 - Advance to the Emlimination Round on an own goal that cost a Columbian player his life. Lose first game in Elimination Round

2002 - Great start and advance to Elimination Round. Beat Mexico only to lose to Germany.

2010 - Require last ditch goal in third Qualification round game to advance. Lose first game of the Elimination Round

Then we come to this year. The US qualifies for the tournament but had a much more difficult final round than it should have. Klinnsmann plays "musical players" with his team for much of the final round of qualifying and the year leading up to the Cup. Top US scorer of all time left off WC roster, leaving team with only ONE natural "Striker" on the roster.

Prior to the first game the US gets a HUGE break when Germany defeats Portugal by 4 goals in a game which also sees one of Portugals starting Defenders Red Carded and two other players injured prior to playing the US. The US takes this opportunity and starts off beautifully, scoring a first minute goal against Ghana, only to see the teams ONLY natural "striker" pull up lame 21 minutes into the game. The US goes into a total shell, finally giving up the inevitable tying goal in the 82nd minute, and is only bailed out by the incredible luck of a John Brooks goal in the 86th minute. Klinnsmann's ass is bailed out by a guy who almost didn't make the team. Serious conditioning questions are raised with the number of hamstring and cramping issues during the game.

We spend a week talking about how "marvelous" the US performance was, when instead we should have been seriously questioning Klinnsmann's decisions. Either way, the US is in good position to potentially advance, with a win or draw against a now undermaned Portugese team. Then the US gets even more fortune when Ghana and Germany play to a DRAW on Saturday. The US can advance with a WIN against Portugal.

Sunday comes around and the US comes out of the gate like they're asleep, giving up a fifth minute goal to one of the Portugese star players. After another fifteen minutes of lackluster play, they finally realize maybe they should show up and spend the next forty minutes trying to get the equalizer. Jermaine Jones bails their asses out with a gorgeous equalizer and nine minutes later they go ahead when the Captain scores for the second time in two games. Then they fall back into the 10 men behind the ball philosophy that has been the death of so many American teams in the past, and sure enough, they allow Portugal to snatch Victory/Draw from the jaws of Defeat in literally the last seconds of stoppage time..... ASSISTED BY THE TEAM'S MAIN STAR (anyone wanna think about covering him?)

This leaves the US in a precarious position. Instead of being in control of their own destiny, they now have to hope for a draw with Germany or help from Ghana/Portugal to advance.

I'm sorry but regardless of the outcomes on Thursday and going forward this year, the US Soccer Federation needs to come up with a new expectation - Semi-Finals by the end of the 2026 World Cup or we disband the entire US Men's National Soccer program.

Until yesterday, the 1-0 loss to Brazil in 1994 was the USA finest World Cup showing.

The sport is finally gaining traction.

USA-Ghana: ESPN?s Highest-Rated Men?s Soccer Match Ever and WatchESPN?s Largest Audience - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

I heard that according to ESPN, more AMERICAN kids under 18 watch soccer than baseball

Until yesterday, the 1-0 loss to Brazil in 1994 was the USA finest World Cup showing.

USA-Ghana: ESPN?s Highest-Rated Men?s Soccer Match Ever and WatchESPN?s Largest Audience - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

I heard that according to ESPN, more AMERICAN kids under 18 watch soccer than baseball
Actually, we did better in 2002 where we got all the way to the Semis, only missing out on the final because of a disallowed goal against Germany.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm not interested in traction or youth participation. I'm interested in Winning Games and being a threat to Win tournaments, which this team is not.

I'm not interested in traction or youth participation. I'm interested in Winning Games and being a threat to Win tournaments, which this team is not.

Then stop watching.

Then stop watching.

I just want to make sure I understand you clearly.... You are confirming Jurgen Klinnsmann's assertion that the United States cannot win the Tournament, and expanding on it to suggest they have no chance of beating Germany on Thursday afternoon as well.... Is that correct?

Anathema...Debbie Downer.

We got further than expected, no?

You stated you are an "America" fan....so come on man, cheer them on!

Attachments

• $DD.png
    $DD.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 78

I must say I am impressed with the job Klinsmann haved done with USA. The former USA teams known for their great team spirit now also have tactical skills. I also read that there were three times more american supporters than english supporters in Brazil this world cup. Impressive!.

Just participating in the world cup touranment in soccer is a bigger acheivement than winning the NFL considering how big and important the sport is throughout the world

Anathema...Debbie Downer.

I make Debbie look positively joyous.

We got further than expected, no?

Not at all. They haven't done a damn thing yet. They have not qualified for the elimination round. They COULD HAVE, if they'd decided to play the entire game yesterday, but they failed to close it out in the last minute of stoppage time.

You stated you are an "America" fan....so come on man, cheer them on!

I see fandom very differently than most. A real fan does not wear the proverbial "rose colored glasses". A real fan focuses on the realities of the team and the game, thus expecing something to cheer about/for before becoming wildly enthusiastic. I have seen little beyond the first 35 seconds of the game versus Ghana to be that enthusiastic about.

And this is news to you?

I thought Bora did a great job coaching in 94, I'm not into the weeds enough to know why he wasn't asked to return but the USA has sucked from then until now. Since we don't have the firepower, we'd better play as a team.

We OWNED Portugal for almost the entire game. OWNED THEM. They were a shrunken head on our belt The USA Has never ever never ever manhandled a team the way they did the Portuguese. It should have been a win, but it was the best showing ever for the USA.

Last edited:
And this is news to you?

Not at all. My concern is why we continue sending teams/athletes to the Olympics and the World Cup to participate in events where we know that we have ZERO chance of winning. That's a compelte and utter waste of resources so far as I'm concerned.

I thought Bora did a great job coaching in 94, I'm not into the weed enough to know why he wasn't asked to return but the USA has sucked from then until now. Since we don't have the firepower, we'd better play as a team.

The US sucked in '94. The only reason they advanced was due to the horrible accident of a man who paid for it with his life. The closest any US Men's Team has ever come to actually winning anything was the Confed Cup in 2009. Even then, they failed to be able to hold onto a multi-goal lead for 45 minutes and ended up looking just as pathetic as they normally do.

That will likely continue until they come up with a coach who understands what needs to be done to make this team competitive and a bunch of players willing to subjugate their egos and bank accounts to that cause. I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon.

We OWNED Portugal for almost the entire game. OWNED THEM. They were a shrunken head on our belt The USA Has never ever never ever manhandled a team the way they did the Portuguese. It should have been a win, but it was the best showing ever for the USA.

Every place I've checked the score line, it's always 2-2 at Full Time, so obviously the US didn't "OWN" them all that much. Almost doesn't count in futbol.

Last edited:
Then stop watching.

I just want to make sure I understand you clearly.... You are confirming Jurgen Klinnsmann's assertion that the United States cannot win the Tournament, and expanding on it to suggest they have no chance of beating Germany on Thursday afternoon as well.... Is that correct?

No.

You have an odd way of "understanding."

Forum List

Back