🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

2014 World Cup Thread

Just participating in the world cup touranment in soccer is a bigger acheivement than winning the NFL considering how big and important the sport is throughout the world

You really haven't looked at the list of teams in CONCACAF, have you?

No. You have an odd way of "understanding."

I indicated that I don't care to watch teams which have no chance of winning individual games and/or being competitive in terms of challenging for Tournament Championships.

You suggest that I stop watching.

What other understanding was I to come up with, than that you do not believe the US can win games or the Tournament; since that is the set of circumstances under which I would stop watching?

And this is news to you?

Not at all. My concern is why we continue sending teams/athletes to the Olympics and the World Cup to participate in events where we know that we have ZERO chance of winning. That's a compelte and utter waste of resources so far as I'm concerned.

I thought Bora did a great job coaching in 94, I'm not into the weed enough to know why he wasn't asked to return but the USA has sucked from then until now. Since we don't have the firepower, we'd better play as a team.

The US sucked in '94. The only reason they advanced was due to the horrible accident of a man who paid for it with his life. The closest any US Men's Team has ever come to actually winning anything was the Confed Cup in 2009. Even then, they failed to be able to hold onto a multi-goal lead for 45 minutes and ended up looking just as pathetic as they normally do.

That will likely continue until they come up with a coach who understands what needs to be done to make this team competitive and a bunch of players willing to subjugate their egos and bank accounts to that cause. I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon.

We OWNED Portugal for almost the entire game. OWNED THEM. They were a shrunken head on our belt The USA Has never ever never ever manhandled a team the way they did the Portuguese. It should have been a win, but it was the best showing ever for the USA.

Every place I've checked the score line, it's always 2-2 at Full Time, so obviously the US didn't "OWN" them all that much. Almost doesn't count in futbol.

You're a fucking tool. You didn't watch the Brazil-USA match in 1994, Jake. Please shut the fuck up

No. You have an odd way of "understanding."

I indicated that I don't care to watch teams which have no chance of winning individual games and/or being competitive in terms of challenging for Tournament Championships.

You suggest that I stop watching.

What other understanding was I to come up with, than that you do not believe the US can win games or the Tournament; since that is the set of circumstances under which I would stop watching?

I suggest you stop watching if you're going to whine so much. It's not healthy.

I suggest you stop watching if you're going to whine so much. It's not healthy.

Whining is by no means the only thing I do. My fiance spent about 90 minutes cleaning up after that loss yesterday. The minute the ball went past Howard, I chucked my almost full Snapple bottle at the wall (they shatter really well, btw) and tossed my dinner across the room in fury.

Though I'll be the one patching the hole in the bedroom door from where I kicked it. Probably tonight.

Uruguay beat Italy. Italy set up for a 0-0 draw, and it's defensive tactics cost them, especially after they went down to 10 men after 60 minutes.

Suarez once again bit an opponent. The boy has control issues.

Uruguay beat Italy. Italy set up for a 0-0 draw, and it's defensive tactics cost them, especially after they went down to 10 men after 60 minutes.

I watched the first half from the Beer Bar and couldn't take it anymore. On the rare occasion when they sent 3 men forward they couldn't connect and went the entire first half without even a decent shot on goal.

Went back to the office and waited for the inevitable Uruguay goal.

Caught the highlights on ESPN, probably the worst red card ever

I watched the first half from the Beer Bar and couldn't take it anymore. On the rare occasion when they sent 3 men forward they couldn't connect and went the entire first half without even a decent shot on goal.

I watched the second half. It was what one would expect. Italy went to the final of Euro 2012 playing attractive football. They reverted back to form and got what they deserved.

I thought the red card was fair. He came over the top.

The USA-Portugal match had a bigger TV audience than the World Series or the NBA finals.

With an audience of 25 million viewers for Sunday’s game between the United States and Portugal, the World Cup is moving into elite territory as a sports property on American television. Ratings for the game were the highest for any soccer game telecast in America and reached more viewers than events like the N.B.A. finals or the World Series.

Sunday’s game, which ended in a 2-2 tie after Portugal scored a late goal, attracted a total of 24.7 million viewers across two television networks, ESPN and Univision. The ESPN audience alone — 18.2 million viewers — set a record for a soccer game on American television. The previous record, for the 1999 Women’s World Cup final, which was won by the United States, was 17.9 million viewers. That game was on a broadcast network — ABC — rather than cable television. ...

While not near the totals scored by the N.F.L. playoffs or, certainly, the Super Bowl, the American audience for the World Cup game on Sunday easily eclipsed the N.B.A. finals this year, which averaged 15.5 million viewers, as well as the 2013 World Series, which averaged 14.9 million viewers. The N.H.L. playoffs are not even remotely as popular as the World Cup, having averaged only five million viewers this season.

I watched the second half. It was what one would expect. Italy went to the final of Euro 2012 playing attractive football. They reverted back to form and got what they deserved.

Yup, the red card was indeed warranted, however I was amazed in that Suarez didn't get a red card for biting Italy's Chiellini. Not even a yellow card. Chiellini showed the ref his bite mark, but no dice. Good comedy routine ... lol

Yup, the red card was indeed warranted, however I was amazed in that Suarez didn't get a red card for biting Italy's Chiellini. Not even a yellow card. Chiellini showed the ref his bite mark, but no dice. Good comedy routine ... lol

The ref can't card what he doesn't see.

Greece wins a penalty in stoppage time to advance. I was rooting for Ivory Coast but it was the right call.

And you thought the Portugal last-minute goal was a heartbreak for the US? At least they lived to play another day. I would be so pissed if I was living in Ivory Coast__ downright depressed.

It's hard to see in real time. The ref didn't see Suarez bite Branislav Ivanovic either. I have to imagine he's out of the World Cup.

The USA-Portugal match had a bigger TV audience than the World Series or the NBA finals.

With an audience of 25 million viewers for Sunday’s game between the United States and Portugal, the World Cup is moving into elite territory as a sports property on American television. Ratings for the game were the highest for any soccer game telecast in America and reached more viewers than events like the N.B.A. finals or the World Series.

Sunday’s game, which ended in a 2-2 tie after Portugal scored a late goal, attracted a total of 24.7 million viewers across two television networks, ESPN and Univision. The ESPN audience alone — 18.2 million viewers — set a record for a soccer game on American television. The previous record, for the 1999 Women’s World Cup final, which was won by the United States, was 17.9 million viewers. That game was on a broadcast network — ABC — rather than cable television. ...

While not near the totals scored by the N.F.L. playoffs or, certainly, the Super Bowl, the American audience for the World Cup game on Sunday easily eclipsed the N.B.A. finals this year, which averaged 15.5 million viewers, as well as the 2013 World Series, which averaged 14.9 million viewers. The N.H.L. playoffs are not even remotely as popular as the World Cup, having averaged only five million viewers this season.
Thursday USA v Germany will be the biggest sports TV audience ever

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back