22 year old college grad objects to Merriam-Webster definition of racism - They're changing it!

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Smart young lady!

Kennedy Mitchum recently graduated from Drake University and lives in Florissant, Missouri, just a few miles away from Ferguson, where protests over the 2014 police shooting of Michael Brown helped solidify the Black Lives Matter movement.​
"I kept having to tell them that definition is not representative of what is actually happening in the world," she told CNN. "The way that racism occurs in real life is not just prejudice it's the systemic racism that is happening for a lot of black Americans."​
Merriam-Webster's first definition of racism is "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."​
Mitchum said she sent her email on a Thursday night and got a reply from editor Alex Chambers the next morning.​
After a few emails, Chambers agreed that the entry should be updated and said a new definition is being drafted.​
"This revision would not have been made without your persistence in contacting us about this problem," Chambers said in the email, which was provided to CNN.​
"We sincerely thank you for repeatedly writing in and apologize for the harm and offense we have caused in failing to address this issue sooner."​

174777-merriamweb.jpg

Keep on bending over and grabbing your ankles.
I had a very smart roommate once who worked for Merriam Webster. That's what they do--they are constantly updating definitions and adding new ones, as words are used and added in the lexicon. It's pretty cool, actually. I don't know that they needed to apologize for "offending" her, but that is what they do.

Smart young lady!

Kennedy Mitchum recently graduated from Drake University and lives in Florissant, Missouri, just a few miles away from Ferguson, where protests over the 2014 police shooting of Michael Brown helped solidify the Black Lives Matter movement.​
"I kept having to tell them that definition is not representative of what is actually happening in the world," she told CNN. "The way that racism occurs in real life is not just prejudice it's the systemic racism that is happening for a lot of black Americans."​
Merriam-Webster's first definition of racism is "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."​
Mitchum said she sent her email on a Thursday night and got a reply from editor Alex Chambers the next morning.​
After a few emails, Chambers agreed that the entry should be updated and said a new definition is being drafted.​
"This revision would not have been made without your persistence in contacting us about this problem," Chambers said in the email, which was provided to CNN.​
"We sincerely thank you for repeatedly writing in and apologize for the harm and offense we have caused in failing to address this issue sooner."​

174777-merriamweb.jpg
Synonym: Black Failure

I had a very smart roommate once who worked for Merriam Webster. That's what they do--they are constantly updating definitions and adding new ones, as words are used and added in the lexicon. It's pretty cool, actually. I don't know that they needed to apologize for "offending" her, but that is what they do.

They 'apologized' because with the atmosphere in the country right now, if you don't fall to the ground and kiss the feet of any black person that complains, you'll likely end up having your business destroyed with boycotts, marches, rioting etc.

Yeah, agree that an apology was unnecessary but that an update was overdue. A lot of young people SAY they're not racist. And they may not be because they don't see color like their parents and grandparents may have.

They often say (and we see it here in USMB ALL the time): "I can't be a racist because I never owned slaves or did anything bad to a black person" (etc). And by Webster's old definition, they were right. It was time for a change.

Kennedy has a solid future!

Smart young lady!
STEP ONE:
  1. Convince some liberal idiot to update racism as defined as meaning saying, thinking or doing anything not in favor of black people even if coincidental.
  2. Now you can accuse all white people of being racist anytime a black person is involved and doesn't win, get their way or is disagreed with!
  3. Make racism the backbone and crux of every issue involving all black people then act surprised when this solves nothing and just drives the races farther apart!

By next year the now useless dictionary will read that saying all human lives matter is an indication of racism. Leftists will try to pass a law making it punishable by death.

No need for a new definition for "racism". If systematic racism is the problem, then simply use the term "systematic racism".

Smart young lady!

YOu are politicizing the very definitions of words.

You are making it impossible for clear communication to occur, because you are debasing the meaning of words.

Violence is the only way to resolve our differences.

Just the latest example of the Leftists/Globalists looking to children to give them the answers. BTW where is Greta von Iceberg? I haven't heard one of her rants for weeks! I guess China Virus and George Floyd kind of knocked her off the A list.

No need for a new definition for "racism". If systematic racism is the problem, then simply use the term "systematic racism".

SYSTEMIC not "systematic" - You should have done better to avoid home skoolin'

The thread is about letting politics ruin the dictionary so that you people can pretend that blacks can't be racist.

Yeah, agree that an apology was unnecessary but that an update was overdue. A lot of young people SAY they're not racist. And they may not be because they don't see color like their parents and grandparents may have.

They often say (and we see it here in USMB ALL the time): "I can't be a racist because I never owned slaves or did anything bad to a black person" (etc). And by Webster's old definition, they were right. It was time for a change.

Kennedy has a solid future!

Um, no. Maybe the term "racial discrimination" needed to be updated but the definition of Racism, as it is currently defined, covers all the bases. The "systemic racism" she refers to (which is highly subjective) stems directly from racism as it is defined; i.e., "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

Personally, I'm almost past the point of caring. Why? Because some blacks see racism everywhere and in everything whites do or say. To some, whatever you do, it is never enough.

So I just behave towards blacks as I do anyone else and leave it at that.

Smart young lady!

174777-merriamweb.jpg
Yep. Blacks think they have "privilege" to fucking whine and cry.

Forum List

Back