400 Americans

The Buffet family is one of the wealthiest families in the country, and yet they can't pay their people a living wage. You tell me why that is.
Who is the Buffet family? Are they the people who own all those buffets? Of course they dont pay much. How much skill does it take to manage a buffet? Hell, you dont even need waiters.

They own Walmart, among other holdings, dude.
Dude, you dont have the slightest fucking clue what you aer talking about. Not a shred. Why should someone take you seriously?

Erm, Warren Buffet does not own Walmart? Gee, when did that happen?

Buffett has never owned Walmart. Walmart is primarily owned by the Walton family. Buffett is the primary shareholder for his company Berkshire Hathaway.

My bad. I stand corrected. My question still stands (corrected, of course). The Walton family is one of the wealthiest families in the U.S., and yet threy cannot pay their people a living wage. Why is that?

Who is the Buffet family? Are they the people who own all those buffets? Of course they dont pay much. How much skill does it take to manage a buffet? Hell, you dont even need waiters.

Dude, you dont have the slightest fucking clue what you aer talking about. Not a shred. Why should someone take you seriously?

Buffett has never owned Walmart. Walmart is primarily owned by the Walton family. Buffett is the primary shareholder for his company Berkshire Hathaway.

My bad. I stand corrected. My question still stands (corrected, of course). The Walton family is one of the wealthiest families in the U.S., and yet threy cannot pay their people a living wage. Why is that?

Ah yes....the old "living wage" conundrum.

Would you please define what that means.

[I would argue capitalism is designed to knee-cap competition in order to ensure a greedy few continue to amass more and more wealth with each passing generation.

What a sad little victim you are. Here's a hug.

:smiliehug:

So companies having to compete for your dollar scares the shit out of you. But government removing choice and giving politicians and bureaucrats ubiquitous power, that sounds just about right. They will only care for you and take care of you.

Wow.
"But government removing choice and giving politicians and bureaucrats ubiquitous power, that sounds just about right."
So...the silly little slave imagines all governments since the first hasn't existed to serve its richest citizens (and companies) first and foremost? Keep hopping through all those golden hoops and maybe someday you'll have a cage with gilded bars, but you really should stop confusing capitalism with freedom.
:muahaha:

Have more wealth than half the population of the United States.

Hey Mr. Reagan, when exactly is this trickle down thing going to kick in?

Hey Mr. Bush, since the "job creators" still have the Tax Cut you gave them in 2002 and 2004, why aren't they, you know, creating more jobs?
Say aaaahh... I think somebody should try and break it gently to snagglebutt that Reagan has been dead for quite some time now, and it's 2014...

"But government removing choice and giving politicians and bureaucrats ubiquitous power, that sounds just about right."
So...the silly little slave imagines all governments since the first hasn't existed to serve its richest citizens (and companies) first and foremost? Keep hopping through all those golden hoops and maybe someday you'll have a cage with gilded bars, but you really should stop confusing capitalism with freedom.
:muahaha:

Hmmm...so you quoted me mocking you for wanting more government, and chastised me that government serves the rich. When you're for more government and I'm for less government. Was that supposed to be lucid? What is wrong with you? Seriously.

Ah yes....the old "living wage" conundrum.

Would you please define what that means.

I already have. Scroll back in the conversation.

The Federal government has spent well over $30 TRILLION dollars in just the last 10 years yet the left tells us that's not enough. $30 trillion, just what is the net worth of the 400 I don't know but its nowhere near $30 trillion so if you took every penny they own then what?

And who decides what people "need"

I can give you a list a mile long of what people need and don't need but would that make it any more true than any other opinion?
There have been attempts to quantify fundamental human needs...
"Max-Neef classifies the fundamental human needs as:

• subsistence
  • protection
  • affection
  • understanding
  • participation
  • leisure
  • creation
  • identity
  • freedom"
Ultimately, "We the People" would decide which list of rights was true, but I suspect the vote would reveal marked class distinctions.

Fundamental human needs - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The Walton family does not own WalMart, which is a publicly traded company.
WalMart is run by their managers, which set such things.
If WalMart paid "a living wage" (whatever the hell that is) they would have to raise prices.
WalMart is not in the charity business but there to turn a profit.

Hmmm...so you quoted me mocking you for wanting more government, and chastised me that government serves the rich. When you're for more government and I'm for less government. Was that supposed to be lucid? What is wrong with you? Seriously
We need to define "government." Every government since the first has served its rich first and foremost primarily because of a lack of meaningful democracy. Currently the rich corporations and individuals control the US government's power to an extent unseen since the Gilded Age. Reducing the control the rich exert over the US political economy today will require more democratic control of government, not less government power.

Hmmm...so you quoted me mocking you for wanting more government, and chastised me that government serves the rich. When you're for more government and I'm for less government. Was that supposed to be lucid? What is wrong with you? Seriously
We need to define "government." Every government since the first has served its rich first and foremost primarily because of a lack of meaningful democracy. Currently the rich corporations and individuals control the US government's power to an extent unseen since the Gilded Age. Reducing the control the rich exert over the US political economy today will require more democratic control of government, not less government power.

What a bunch of meaningless babble. Government is government. You are the wench of the rich, you want that which they control to grow ever larger, increasing their own power. That you believe you are fighting them rather than giving them everything they want just hows you to be their puppet controlled by their strings.

What a bunch of meaningless babble. Government is government. You are the wench of the rich, you want that which they control to grow ever larger, increasing their own power.
What would you do to reduce the power Wall Street exerts over the US Government, drown the SEC in your bathtub?

See if you can spot a trend:

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 60 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.

Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:

1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%

A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:

1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%

A 10% Decrease.

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg image
2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez The White House
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis BEA
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = FRB Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--September 18 2014
5/6 = Wealth And Inequality In America - Business Insider

Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

You have built a strawman that does not accurately portray reality.

Have a nice day in Fantasyland.
idiot

Wait just a minute....You people are bitching and moaning about the wealthy being too wealthy. Now you've come up for air and now you're playing the "Obama the greatest job creator in hShytty Reaganist pistory" card.
Which is it?
Shytty Reaganist policy jobs, functional moron chump of the greedy idiot rich GOP..How bout some INVESTMENT in Americans, cheaper college /training loans, infrastructure jobs, dingbat dupes?

Yes, we are dupes. We were conned into believing we can do it on our own while you being the aware, motivated achiever that you are realized you can't and need government to do it for you. LOL. What a tool.

So do you have an Obama job where you get a lower wage and your hours were cut ?
Retired History/French teacher, fool. Pubs just make life harder for the none rich, easy skate for the rich. It matters. See if you can spot the trend, angry white idiot lol:

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 60 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

A 45% increase after 1980.

5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.

Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:

1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%

A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:

1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%

A 10% Decrease.

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg image
2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez The White House
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis BEA
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = FRB Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--September 18 2014
5/6 = Wealth And Inequality In America - Business Insider

Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

The Federal government has spent well over $30 TRILLION dollars in just the last 10 years yet the left tells us that's not enough. $30 trillion, just what is the net worth of the 400 I don't know but its nowhere near $30 trillion so if you took every penny they own then what?

Much of that money was spent on a bloated military fighting unnecessary confilcts that nearly destroyed our economy. In the mean time, earnings by ordinary Americans dwindled significantly, backrupting many while in that same ten years the 400 became even richer. By the way, the net worth of the 400 in question is $2.29 trillion dollars. That averages to about 5.7 billion each. Compare that to the wage of the average American at $44,888.16, and to the 46 million who live at or below the poverty line. If you believe this is not a disparity, I must ask if you are one of thr 400 and if not, who exactly you are defending and why?

If WalMart paid "a living wage" (whatever the hell that is) they would have to raise prices.

Indeed, they are in the slave labor market, and you apparently are their spokesperson. Congratulation.

Indeed, they are in the slave labor market, and you apparently are their spokesperson. Congratulation.
You are rapidly becoming the buffoon of this site. If knowledge were dynamite you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose/

OK so instead of having onerous regulations and some kind of tax relief we'll have onerous regulations AND confiscatory taxes. Brilliant!
You understand the Bush tax cuts expired, right? And growth still sucks and the middle class still has stagnating income. Why would you want to replicate failure?

3.9% GDP is not bad. Better than at just about any time during the Bush administration.
Wait just a minute....You people are bitching and moaning about the wealthy being too wealthy. Now you've come up for air and now you're playing the "Obama the greatest job creator in history" card.
Which is it?

The Buffet family is one of the wealthiest families in the country, and yet they can't pay their people a living wage. You tell me why that is.

Sure - if you can tell me what a 'living wage' is, I'll be happy to tell you all about it.

A living wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their needs that are considered to be basic. This is not necessarily the same as subsistence, which refers to a biological minimum, though the two terms are commonly confused. These needs include shelter (housing) and other incidentals such as clothing, nutrition, transportation, and medical needs. Now, tell me why the richest family in America cannot pay their employees a living wage.

Can you tell me of an employer who doesn't pay a 'living wage', even using your definition?

Before you get all cranked up about McDonalds or Walmart, we need to agree that they, in fact, pay a 'living wage'. The average McDonald worker (excluding teenagers working part-time) make $10.88 per hour. For Walmart, it's $11.81 per hour. For the McDonalds' worker, that's about $22K/year - and for Walmart, that's an annual average salary of about $24K per year.

Both of those meet the governmental definition of living wage.

But, you cry, that's not fair - a person trying to raise a family can't get ahead on only $22K a year. Besides, a lot of them don't work full time, you say. So, let's try to put those complaints to bed. Not full time? Work two jobs. Not enough to support your family? Then, both of you work. Still not enough? Let the kids get a job. I do not accept the responsibility to raise your family.

If you don't want a minimum wage job, don't bring minimum wage skills to the job.

Facts are inconvenient things, so they just ignore them.
Are you ignoring this fact?
ib330-figureA.png.538

The wedges between productivity and median compensation growth Economic Policy Institute

What fact would we be ignoring? Efficiency ??

Cuz, that's what it is .... efficiency. Doing the same job for less money. By what possible reason do you think that the assembly line worker, the burger flipper, deserves more money just because he's there? Want more money? Figure out how to contribute more to the final product.

You get paid for what you contribute to the final product ... period. The comparison between 'productivity and median compensation' is an artificial measurement, contrived to create a false dichotomy, and create a strawman argument that, simply, doesn't hold water.

It's a pant laod because it presupposes the notion that NO ONE earns anything
It presupposes nothing of the kind. Capitalism has created a planet of slums by destroying subsistence agriculture and crafting terms of trade unfavorable to rural life. Since 2007 more than half the world's population has been living in cites radically decoupled from industrialization. The capitalists have "earned" their fortunes and could not care less about the surplus population left in their wake.
Critical Montages Apr s moi le d luge
Let me assure you --- you have NO idea what a 'planet of slums' looks like.

Go to socialist countries and take a look. Then, come back, get down on your knees, and thank God you were lucky enough to have been born in this country.

Forum List

Back