45 Business Groups Say "No" to Tariffs

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
These groups, including the Chamber of Commerce, said that imposition of widespread tariffs against China would be harmful to themselves and the to US economy.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and 44 other associations are urging President Donald Trump not to impose sweeping tariffs in response to China’s trade practices, warning the action would “trigger a chain reaction of negative consequences for the U.S. economy.”

The business groups wrote a letter to Trump on Sunday acknowledging “serious concerns” regarding what they described as China’s theft of trade secrets and other practices and policies, but they urged a measured response that avoided tariffs. The groups represent companies such as Apple Inc., Google, and Walmart Inc.

“The Administration should not respond to unfair Chinese practices and policies by imposing tariffs or other measures that will harm U.S. companies, workers, farmers, ranchers, consumers, and investors,” the groups said in the letter.​

Dozens of U.S. Business Groups Warn Trump Against China Tariffs

Economists have long known that tariffs are bad for the economy. So does American business.

Economists have long known that tariffs are bad for the economy. So does American business.
My impulse is usually to be hopeful and give this stuff the benefit of the doubt, at least at first: "Well, they have access to data that we don't". But it's getting tougher to do that.

Possible silver lining here: Trump has already signaled that these are not set in stone. My guess is that this is a standard ham-handed Trump negotiating tactic meant to shake shit up and get things changed. If that's the case, at least he got everyone's attention.

We'll see how this shakes out. We should know by now not to believe pretty much anything he says. I assume he considers that a negotiating tactic.

I do not understand economics------I think Trump is trying really HARD to improve that USA economy

I sure hope so.

I don't want higher taxes.

No chance of that with the Trump , just higher prices for everything.

Prices have been rising OUT OF SIGHT for quite some time now------probably mostly during Obama's time. I do not
blame Obama. I do not understand economics. Taxes is
not the ONLY ISSUE------sheeeeesh

These groups, including the Chamber of Commerce, said that imposition of widespread tariffs against China would be harmful to themselves and the to US economy.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and 44 other associations are urging President Donald Trump not to impose sweeping tariffs in response to China’s trade practices, warning the action would “trigger a chain reaction of negative consequences for the U.S. economy.”

The business groups wrote a letter to Trump on Sunday acknowledging “serious concerns” regarding what they described as China’s theft of trade secrets and other practices and policies, but they urged a measured response that avoided tariffs. The groups represent companies such as Apple Inc., Google, and Walmart Inc.

“The Administration should not respond to unfair Chinese practices and policies by imposing tariffs or other measures that will harm U.S. companies, workers, farmers, ranchers, consumers, and investors,” the groups said in the letter.​

Dozens of U.S. Business Groups Warn Trump Against China Tariffs

It's interesting that

A) Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs have been estimated to lose 5 jobs for every one job it makes.

B) That's before the other nations have imposed their tariffs which will hurt other US companies not related to steel or aluminum.

I sure hope so.

Prices have been rising OUT OF SIGHT for quite some time now------probably mostly during Obama's time. I do not

the average rate of inflation during obama's presidency was under 1.2%

trump is at 2.1% and climbing

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2018

My impulse is usually to be hopeful and give this stuff the benefit of the doubt, at least at first: "Well, they have access to data that we don't". But it's getting tougher to do that.

Possible silver lining here: Trump has already signaled that these are not set in stone. My guess is that this is a standard ham-handed Trump negotiating tactic meant to shake shit up and get things changed. If that's the case, at least he got everyone's attention.

We'll see how this shakes out. We should know by now not to believe pretty much anything he says. I assume he considers that a negotiating tactic.
From the article:
“The Administration should not respond to unfair Chinese practices and policies by imposing tariffs or other measures that will harm U.S. companies, workers, farmers, ranchers, consumers, and investors,” the groups said in the letter.
Well, duh.

One doesn't cut off one's own nose to spite another's face.

Last edited:

My guess is that this is a standard ham-handed Trump negotiating tactic meant to shake shit up and get things changed.
What ever happened to exhibiting the integrity of making an existential case for change? That is, after all, what honest people do.

My guess is that this is a standard ham-handed Trump negotiating tactic meant to shake shit up and get things changed.
What ever happened to exhibiting the integrity of making an existential case for change? That is, after all, what honest people do.
He's not honest. I'm just trying to take him in context.

I sure hope so.

Tariffs are taxes.

Higher tariffs means higher taxes.

I sure hope so.

You think prices are high, expect them to go higher.

Forum List

Back