50 years ago today

Tragic.

I wonder what would've happened had the students not attacked the guardsmen with rocks...
First, none of the Guardsmen were killed. Second, the students who were murdered were killed in the parking lot of Taylor Hall while they were changing classes.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

First, whether or not any of the guardsmen were killed is immaterial.

Second, two of the dead were protesters...
Boy I bet you wish you were right. But you're not. If you study history, you would look at the time line. And when is it acceptable to kill demonstrators?

Boy, I bet you wish you were smarter.

But you're not.

You see, I am right:

"The shootings killed four students and wounded nine. Two of the four students killed, Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, had participated in the protest."

Kent State Shooting

And when is it acceptable to kill demonstrators? When those demonstrators attack you, that's when...
So the penalty for protesting is death?

Where did I say that? Right, dipshit, I didn't.

The question was asked "When is it acceptable to kill demonstrators?" The answer is "When the demonstrators attack you", which is what they chose to do at Kent State...

Tragic.

I wonder what would've happened had the students not attacked the guardsmen with rocks...
First, none of the Guardsmen were killed. Second, the students who were murdered were killed in the parking lot of Taylor Hall while they were changing classes.

Boy I bet you wish you were right. But you're not. If you study history, you would look at the time line. And when is it acceptable to kill demonstrators?

But you're not.

You see, I am right:

"The shootings killed four students and wounded nine. Two of the four students killed, Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, had participated in the protest."

Kent State Shooting

And when is it acceptable to kill demonstrators? When those demonstrators attack you, that's when...

The question was asked "When is it acceptable to kill demonstrators?" The answer is "When the demonstrators attack you", which is what they chose to do at Kent State...
Listen up, fuck stick.
IT IS NEVER ACCEPTABLE TO MURDER UNARMED PEOPLE.
NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Tragic.

But you're not.

You see, I am right:

Kent State Shooting

And when is it acceptable to kill demonstartors? When those demonstrators attack you, that's when...
No one attacked the guards.

I am of the mind if the protest was peaceful, the group is well within their rights to protest, however you need to be aware of the consequences.

In this case I think the National Guard could have taken different measures, however pitching rocks at the Guard was not a smart move either.
This is a fair assessment.

Tragic.

But you're not.

You see, I am right:

Kent State Shooting

And when is it acceptable to kill demonstartors? When those demonstrators attack you, that's when...
No one attacked the guards.

You're stupid. That's the only possible explanation.

So your position is that the protesters didn't throw rocks at the guardsmen? Is that what you're saying?

Tragic.

But you're not.

You see, I am right:

Kent State Shooting

Listen up, fuck stick.
IT IS NEVER ACCEPTABLE TO MURDER UNARMED PEOPLE.
NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Generally speaking, I agree.

However, the protesters armed themselves with rocks and they attacked the guardsmen with them.

Kent State was not, by any measure, a peaceful protest...

I am of the mind if the protest was peaceful, the group is well within their rights to protest, however you need to be aware of the consequences.

In this case I think the National Guard could have taken different measures, however pitching rocks at the Guard was not a smart move either.

You need to pick a story and stick to it.

In response to my post, you said no one attacked the guardsmen and, here, you say that it's a "fair assessment" that pitching rocks at the guardsmen was not a smart move>

Throwing rocks at them equates to attacking them. Period.

I already knew that. That is why I support those that went to Lansing and protested there. I don't agree with their cause, however I will fight for their right to protest. No different between the two.

I already knew that. That is why I support those that went to Lansing and protested there. I don't agree with their cause, however I will fight for their right to protest. No different between the two.
Actually there is a very large difference, the students were not bearing arms and they were protesting a unjust war. They were not protesting the government trying to save their lives. But they do have the right to peacefully air their grievance. I don't know that carrying around assault rifles constitutes peace, but it seems that some people can do that without getting killed.

Tragic.

And so that justifies the NG opening fire.

It could, yes, as it demonstrated that the protesters were willing to use violence...
The murdered protesters were unarmed.

Throwing rocks is not unarmed.
The Kent State shootings (also known as the May 4 massacre or the Kent State massacre),[3][4][5] were the shootings on May 4, 1970, of unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, during a mass protest against the bombing in neutral Cambodia by United States military forces.

Actually there is a very large difference, the students were not bearing arms and they were protesting a unjust war. They were not protesting the government trying to save their lives. But they do have the right to peacefully air their grievance. I don't know that carrying around assault rifles constitutes peace, but it seems that some people can do that without getting killed.

We have a fundamental right to protest whatever we believe is unfair. Both felt the government was acting unfairly, both decided to protest.

What a monster ... advocating cold-blooded murder ... children too young to vote ... you need your mother to wash your mouth out with soap ...

I'm not advocating cold blooded murder.

But I'm also smart enough to know that you can kill a person with a rock so, when you throw a rock at someone, you should expect a violent response.

What type of response would you expect?

If demonstrators attack you, you have every right to defend yourself...

A) There is nothing peaceful about hurling rocks at National Guard troops sent to Kent State to preserve
peace and order during student riots.

B) Fifty years ago no one had "assault" rifles. Certainly the Ohio state national guard did not.
The fact that National Guard troops were armed at a university where radical Students for a Democratic Society were active (Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn affiliated) shows that they were cognizant acts of revolution
that were called for would necessarily mean violence, like provoking troops with missiles of all sorts
(such as rocks, which can be deadly).

Tragic.

And so that justifies the NG opening fire.

It could, yes, as it demonstrated that the protesters were willing to use violence...
The murdered protesters were unarmed.

Throwing rocks is not unarmed.
The Kent State shootings (also known as the May 4 massacre or the Kent State massacre),[3][4][5] were the shootings on May 4, 1970, of unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, during a mass protest against the bombing in neutral Cambodia by United States military forces.

I was there in that time, and I read all the reports.

Those of different political persuasions saw different things, just like today.

Since I can throw a rock accurately, I consider them lethal weapons.

Forum List

Back