54 of 64 Colorado Sheriffs Sue State Over New Gun Laws

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I said when they passed these new anti-gun laws it would blow back on the anti-Constitution crowd. I stand by my belief that this will not go away by next year's elections.

A group Colorado sheriffs have followed through with their threat and have filed lawsuit against new state gun restrictions adopted in the aftermath of last year's mass shootings in Aurora and Connecticut. Through the lawsuit, the sheriffs are trying to invalidate the regulations, arguing that the measures violate the Second Amendment.

Two laws passed this spring by the Colorado Legislature that are set to take effect July 1, limiting the size of the of ammunition magazines to 15 rounds and expanding background checks to private and online firearm sales are at the heart of the lawsuit.

The lawsuit involves sheriffs from 54 of the state's 64 counties, and most represent rural, gun-friendly areas of the state where they were elected. They said it was their duty to uphold the U.S. Constitution.

According to the Associated Press, El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa said "We each took an oath. The line in the sand has been drawn, and we will stand united," at the Friday Denver press conference announcing the lawsuit.

According the AP, sheriffs argue the laws have many flaws that will make it nearly impossible for citizens to comply, and they insist the measures won't improve public safety but will restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Colorado sheriffs file lawsuit against gun laws - Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Forum List

Back