54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

This is good news for Democrats as segregation and pandering to self-segregating communities keeps the votes nice and organized.
It's an insult to American culture.

Is it?
What is American culture? That is --- what's it made of?
It's made of a convergence of various cultures in the effort for assimilation. Holding onto and focusing on individual heritage in lieu of assimilation is segregation. Remember that segregation thing that MLK essentially gave his life to combat?

You're actually equating using one's mother tongue at home to separate drinking fountains?

Not speaking English at home discourages assimilation....

You are speaking from ignorance.
One liner replies absent of explanation are unacceptable.
Expound upon your posts. No one understands what it is you are trying to convey.
It appears you are just arguing to argue.

"Damage"? What "damage"?
NOn Use of the Language of the land....
The only thing that holds together a nation is a common culture and language. Without these two pillars, a nation is no nation at all.

You don't understand either.
Ok..Tell me what you believe to be incorrect about that statement.
Or are you just trying to start a pointless argument?

Neither culture nor language are fixed, and America has ALWAYS been home to many of both.
Nonsense. There has always been a distinct American Culture.

Describe it.

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Better start kissin' Latino ass, they have the political majority in this area............essay!

I don't need to, cuz, I'm from Strong Beach. LA don't fuck with us. They might have South-Central, but we have Compton and the West Side.
Fighting a race war?

"Damage"? What "damage"?
The only thing that holds together a nation is a common culture and language. Without these two pillars, a nation is no nation at all.

You don't understand either.
Ok..Tell me what you believe to be incorrect about that statement.
Or are you just trying to start a pointless argument?

Neither culture nor language are fixed, and America has ALWAYS been home to many of both.
Nonsense. There has always been a distinct American Culture.

Define it.

"Damage"? What "damage"?

In their own homes.
Another insipid one liner post.
Read down, sir. I expounded upon that very point.....Jeez.

The part of your post I excised neither explains nor excuses your presumption of a right to dictate what languages people are allowed to speak in their own homes.
Then the "excising" is YOUR problem..
Read and understand the entire post. Not just what you decide it means.
We're done.

View attachment 53871
The term Los Angeles is misleading. The city of Los Angeles takes up a relatively small area of the area known as The Los Angeles Basin.

One has to take an overall view of the area to make the OP sensible. Yes, there are areas within the basin where English is a second language and the primary language IS NOT always Spanish. My home neighborhood is now predominantly Korean and one sees signs in Korean everywhere.

I'm not certain what the OP was trying to prove here but I think the point is moot. There are farming locals in the Midwest where some people still speak German, Swedish, and other European languages as a sign of respect to their elders who pioneered the area.

I supposed the OP wants us to remove all ethnic names from local towns and cities and replace them with English.
WHich is NOT the point.....Most of those people when out among the general population do speak English...
Even Amish people, a culture known for self isolation, speaks and uses English when in among the general public.

One thing good about having big brother in charge. The televisions that watch what people are doing in their own homes (like in Orwell's 1984) will put a stop to this using languages other than english.

OK- I have no dispute relative to the Demographics stated

-Geaux

But you posted Asians shun English at home. If your post is correct.....Why is it that Asian kids excel in elementary, high schools, colleges and universities? Not only in California but entire USA. They don't need press 1 for English and press 2 for Spanish. Can you explain that?

Also from the post it reads

"The data, gleaned from Census information from 2009 to 2013, found 60.3 million residents, or more than one in five people over the age of 5, speaks a language other than English at home. Spanish is the top alternative, with 37.5 million home speakers, followed by Chinese with 2.9 million home speakers".

Care to explain why that is?

-Geaux
Why don't you tell us why you think you have a right to dictate what language people speak in the privacy of their own homes?

Why do you think they have the right to live in the open as illegals and refuse to show respect to their host country?

-Geaux

What made you think that Asians are illegals? What proof do you have that they do not respect this country? Trust me Asians value and respect this country far more than some Americans in this board. Just because they speak their dialect at home doesn't mean they do not respect this country. WHO are you again?

What made you think I was talking about Asians? However, the article did point out that those who shun English are the those who speak Spanish as the top alternative.

Geaux

"Damage"? What "damage"?

In their own homes.
Another insipid one liner post.
Read down, sir. I expounded upon that very point.....Jeez.

The part of your post I excised neither explains nor excuses your presumption of a right to dictate what languages people are allowed to speak in their own homes.
Then the "excising" is YOUR problem..
Read and understand the entire post. Not just what you decide it means.
We're done.

You're done when you know you have no argument. The second part of your post does not explain or excuse your presumption to dictate to what language people can speak in their own homes.

And you've yet to explain what you think "American culture" is.

View attachment 53871
The term Los Angeles is misleading. The city of Los Angeles takes up a relatively small area of the area known as The Los Angeles Basin.

One has to take an overall view of the area to make the OP sensible. Yes, there are areas within the basin where English is a second language and the primary language IS NOT always Spanish. My home neighborhood is now predominantly Korean and one sees signs in Korean everywhere.

I'm not certain what the OP was trying to prove here but I think the point is moot. There are farming locals in the Midwest where some people still speak German, Swedish, and other European languages as a sign of respect to their elders who pioneered the area.

I supposed the OP wants us to remove all ethnic names from local towns and cities and replace them with English.
WHich is NOT the point.....Most of those people when out among the general population do speak English...
Even Amish people, a culture known for self isolation, speaks and uses English when in among the general public.

And Go4It's problem - and apparently yours - is that people speak another language in their own homes.

Is it?
What is American culture? That is --- what's it made of?
It's made of a convergence of various cultures in the effort for assimilation. Holding onto and focusing on individual heritage in lieu of assimilation is segregation. Remember that segregation thing that MLK essentially gave his life to combat?

You're actually equating using one's mother tongue at home to separate drinking fountains?

Expound upon your posts. No one understands what it is you are trying to convey.

People speak various languages at home to varying degrees at varying points in the assimilation process for varying reasons. YOU are just speaking out of complete ignorance.

People speak various languages at home to varying degrees at varying points in the assimilation process for varying reasons. YOU are just speaking out of complete ignorance.
The more that highspanic people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.
It's not about what is legal or not. It's about something that reflects divisiveness.

The more that highspanic [sic] people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.......

Wrong again, buffoon.

The more that highspanic people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.
It's not about what is legal or not. It's about something that reflects divisiveness.

You have never, ever been inside such a home, have you?

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Good stuff. Why should they speak english at home instead of a language they find more comfortable?

View attachment 53871

And they'll speak their own Low German at home with each other. It's part of their family culture.

Same thing here.
Dumb shit.

Forum List

Back