54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Good stuff. Why should they speak english at home instead of a language they find more comfortable?

Just a hunch.... If you can't speak English at home, odds are, you don't speak English outside it either

-Geaux
So what's your excuse? You're interacting with people outside your home right now. If you're consistent, you'll change your faux Frenchified name to Goforit.

Looks a little bland, but at least you won't be a hypocrite, Go.

You are speaking from ignorance.
One liner replies absent of explanation are unacceptable.
Expound upon your posts. No one understands what it is you are trying to convey.
It appears you are just arguing to argue.

People speak various languages at home to varying degrees at varying points in the assimilation process for varying reasons. YOU are just speaking out of complete ignorance.
The more that highspanic people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.
It's not about what is legal or not. It's about something that reflects divisiveness.

Bullfuckingshit. You don't "assimilate" at home. You assimilate on the outside.

The only "divisiveness" here is from the linguistic-superiority-complex crowd like you that wants to reach inside people's private family lives.

They tried to do that to Indians in Canada... to Cajuns in Louisiana... to Irish in their own country... a cultural imperialism bent on destroying the will of the extant soul so it can be replaced. "Resistance is futile... you will be ... assimilated".

Besides ---- you don't learn English (or any other language) by tinkering with others who are themselves learning the same new language and making the same mistakes. You learn it by interacting with fluent speakers.
Assimilation starts at home. The more you deny that the more you endorse segregation.

Again, utter bullshit. Oh wait, that's what you just did.
You don't need to assimilate with your own family. That's already done when you're born.

Think about it.

-Geaux

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Good stuff. Why should they speak english at home instead of a language they find more comfortable?

Just a hunch.... If you can't speak English at home, odds are, you don't speak English outside it either

-Geaux
So what's your excuse? You're interacting with people outside your home right now. If you're consistent, you'll change your faux Frenchified name to Goforit.

^^^^^^^^^^ :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: ^^^^^^^^^^^

-Geaux

-Geaux

^^^^^^^^^^ :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: ^^^^^^^^^^^

So you admit you're a hypocrite who wants to barge into other people's homes and dictate what language they have to speak. Good luck enforcing your dictatorship.

Why don't you tell us why you think you have a right to dictate what language people speak in the privacy of their own homes?

Why do you think they have the right to live in the open as illegals and refuse to show respect to their host country?

-Geaux

What made you think that Asians are illegals? What proof do you have that they do not respect this country? Trust me Asians value and respect this country far more than some Americans in this board. Just because they speak their dialect at home doesn't mean they do not respect this country. WHO are you again?

What made you think I was talking about Asians? However, the article did point out that those who shun English are the those who speak Spanish as the top alternative.

Geaux

Your link and your post is about Asians shun English at home.... I've been posting and asking you questions about asians not Spanish ( Hispanics)..

You're confused I see.

No, the post is about how Spanish is the alternative to English followed by Asians. Thus, they shun English

-Geaux

????????????????????????????????

Expound upon your posts. No one understands what it is you are trying to convey.

People speak various languages at home to varying degrees at varying points in the assimilation process for varying reasons. YOU are just speaking out of complete ignorance.
The more that highspanic [sic] people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.......

Wrong again, buffoon.
Explain. Or else you're just a troll.

What do you need explained? That is NOT how it works. What part of that is unclear?

The more that highspanic people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.
It's not about what is legal or not. It's about something that reflects divisiveness.

You have never, ever been inside such a home, have you?
Lots of times, troll. I live in a highspanic [sic] dominated community. .....

Everyone reading this thread knows you are full of shit.

The language that a family speaks at home is not only nobody else's damn business, it is NOT an indication of assimilation or the lack thereof.​

-Geaux

54% of us Greeks shun English at home too you Malaka.

You're actually equating using one's mother tongue at home to separate drinking fountains?

Not speaking English at home discourages assimilation....

Learn a second language you stupid fucking American.

Not speaking English at home discourages assimilation....

Where are you from?

Why do you think they have the right to live in the open as illegals and refuse to show respect to their host country?

-Geaux

What made you think that Asians are illegals? What proof do you have that they do not respect this country? Trust me Asians value and respect this country far more than some Americans in this board. Just because they speak their dialect at home doesn't mean they do not respect this country. WHO are you again?

What made you think I was talking about Asians? However, the article did point out that those who shun English are the those who speak Spanish as the top alternative.

Geaux

Your link and your post is about Asians shun English at home.... I've been posting and asking you questions about asians not Spanish ( Hispanics)..

You're confused I see.

No, the post is about how Spanish is the alternative to English followed by Asians. Thus, they shun English

-Geaux

????????????????????????????????

"Spanish followed by Asians" - I'm telling you, the biggest linguistic problem in this country is people who can't speak English as a First Language. No wonder they're scared of bilingualism (in addition, they probably believe it has something to do with sex, and that makes it extra scary).

Where are you from?
I was born in America but my parents were born in Greece so they taught me a second language. Most "Americans" don't know a second language. But in most other countries, people can usually speak 2 or more languages. Makes Americans looks stupid.

I don't consider myself a White American. White Americans were born in America, so were their grandparents and they are mutts. They have lost touch with their roots.

-Geaux

This likely means more bilingual americans. Personally, I thought that the chicano kids who couldn't speak spanish were a sad lot.

-Geaux

This likely means more bilingual americans. Personally, I thought that the chicano kids who couldn't speak spanish were a sad lot.
Usually its because they let idiots like the OP shame them into disrespecting their culture.

-Geaux

They are certainly made fun of in the Spanish speaking community that's for sure.

-Geaux

Usually its because they let idiots like the OP shame them into disrespecting their culture.
Don't think we weren't embarrassed of our Big Fat Greek families when we were growing up. In your late teens is when you start being proud of where you come from. But when you are young you just want to fit in. You just want to be like everybody else.

I was born in America .....

I don't consider myself a White American. White Americans were born in America, so were their grandparents ....

WTF?

What drug-addled fever produced that bizarre, irrational 'theory'?

-Geaux

A lot of these kids' parents were native English speakers, to be fair. But, true, there were chicanos who were racist against immigrants. The prop 187 debate brought that out nasty.

The more that highspanic [sic] people speak Spanish to one another at home the less they have been encouraged to assimilate.......

Wrong again, buffoon.
Explain. Or else you're just a troll.

What do you need explained? That is NOT how it works. What part of that is unclear?
Troll bin.

Forum List

Back