🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

6 big changes coming to public schools thanks to union smashdown

I hope that one of the changes is that they will finally start to think about the parents and the kids, rather than only their own wallets.

Did't read yet...

Yeah except you are going to have less people going tens-of-thousands of dollars in debt to get a thankless job as a teacher that will pay about the same as a manager at a fast food restaurant. You think that will make schools better?

Having no teacher is better than a teacher who only cares about his wallet and screws the kids.

It's incredible that just for once thinking about the kids is this difficult for you. For sure, you can't ever be a teacher so why even comment...

Wait... in any other thread you say it is a good thing for YOU to worry about YOUR wallet over other people, but suddenly it is bad for the teachers to worry about their's?
Teachers are still more than welcome to watch out for their own wallets. They just can't take money out of others' wallets by forcing them to pay for a union they don't want to be a part of. Everyone who thinks stealing is wrong is happy as a result.

Without that Union they don't have anyone negotiating new contracts, salaries, benefits, etc.

I really find it odd how Conservatives on this forum find it ok to look out for their own wallets first... but when other's do it it is a bad thing. So you want the teachers to put other people's children first before their own wallets? Well why do you have a problem with putting other people's children first and giving your tax dollars to CHIP and other programs? Hell I can't tell you how often I've seen Conservatives on this forum complain that if they don't have a school age child they shouldn't have to be forced to pay school tax levies. Without school tax levies schools can't operate.

These teachers go tens-of thousands of dollars in debt for a thankless job with low pay, and then you want to complain when they want to get paid a fair wage for it?

Holy shit you really don't understand how much of a hypocrite you are guys are being do you?
I'm not a conservative. But i still find it odd how people think extortion is ok as long as someone says they're doing it for their own good.

Again, read carefully. If teachers think a union has their best interest at heart, they are welcome to join the union and pay the union dues as a result. Perfectly fine. Unions can still exist, and they can still collectively bargain for their members. The only thing they can't do is extort money from people who aren't in the union.

So what's the problem? Are you that big of a fan of extortion?

You folks do realize that only the teachers who leave the Union would be subject to these items, right? Those who stay in the Hnion will continue to have the same protections Bryce always had.

It is a sad day for education! Man the repukes are just taking the nation back to the middle ages.

How can we get any worse than we are? We spend the most per student and rank somewhere near the bottom in Internationally recognized PISA tests?

This is another example of the proven universal truth that; Anything dimocrap FILTH control they turn to shit.
We are near the bottom entirely because of immigrants and inner city blacks.

Not accurate. At all.

In electives, things like Advanced Trig, Calculus II, Physics II, etc we're even worse.

Our way of 'teaching' just simply sucks. The emphasis is placed on the teacher, not on the student. On the School, not on the schooled.

To the Teachers' Unions, the students are just an excuse for them to steal tens of thousands of dollars for doing next to nothing

Not accurate. At all.

In electives, things like Advanced Trig, Calculus II, Physics II, etc we're even worse.

Our way of 'teaching' just simply sucks. The emphasis is placed on the teacher, not on the student. On the School, not on the schooled.

To the Teachers' Unions, the students are just an excuse for them to steal tens of thousands of dollars for doing next to nothing
White Americans are among the smartest in the world.

The Amazing Truth About PISA Scores: USA Beats Western Europe, Ties with Asia | Newgeography.com

period.

I'd like to know the blogger's methodology and sourcing for his wild claims. I don't believe they exist.

Facts, not opinion. Facts.

U.S. students’ academic achievement still lags that of their peers in many other countries

FT_17.02.14_STEM_table.png

I'd like to know the blogger's methodology and sourcing for his wild claims. I don't believe they exist.

Facts, not opinion. Facts.

U.S. students’ academic achievement still lags that of their peers in many other countries

FT_17.02.14_STEM_table.png
Read the article.

He took the non-whites out of the USA data and the immigrants out of the European data.

White America is much more educated than most European and Asian countries.

Read the article.

He took the non-whites out of the USA data and the immigrants out of the European data.

White America is much more educated than most European and Asian countries.

I read the blog.

How did he separate the whites from the non-whites? Those sources do NOT EXIST.

Where does he get his nonsense from? He lists nothing, he sources nobody.

I don't believe there's any doubt that the less advantaged drag us down a little bit to a lot but the fact remains, our education system SUCKS.

We spend the most of ANY Country on Earth on students, mostly in the form of Teacher's pay, and we get shit in return.

Them's the facts.

Why do you need a Master's Degree and an $80k a year teacher to teach 7th graders?

You don't. It's just another Deep State ripoff

Things I've learned from this post as far as what people want and believe

1) kids bear zero responsibility in performance and work ethic. It's only the teacher. Kids, parents, have zero responsibility as its rarely mentioned. That sentiment is like a neon light glowing.

2) You will cry and whine about it but won't quit your job and teach. Snowflake mentality. Give up your earning potential and move to lagging states and struggling schools and help fix the problem. Its your turn to show america how it should be done.

3) Parents are a big part of the problem but you will never state this. If a teacher tries to discipline a kid back the parents are there defending the kid no matter how disruptive the kid is. Then you blame the teacher. Figures.

4)When the union's are all gone you will then have to look in the mirror to find the reason things haven't improved. Until you fix the degradation of the family things shall continue as is. This fact escaped you.....conveniently.

5) I think bad teachers should be fired and where I live they are let go from time to time and there is no protection for them. No reason has to be given. However good teachers who acquire high test scores can be fired without reason too. And I know many of you would ever back even the best teacher. your hatred for them is comparable to some of the wacko anti trumpers out there. Paint with the big broad brush.

6) Here teachers with a master's degree plus 25 years are making 52 thousand not 80. Im on the school board here. 52 thousand after 25 years is nothing in today's world. Some would complain about that. But they also believe in personal freedom to find a good job. They say teaching is so easy and overpaid yet they had the chance to become one. Hypocritical thinking? Hmmmm

7) local control may very well be the ticket but many of you would state that maybe locals don't always know what's best. Now what?

From the article

]When Wisconsin famously ended agency fees in 2011, union membership plummeted 38 percent, bringing government unionization to a level similar to that among private-sector employment, which is about 6 percent of all employees.

Two-thirds of public school teachers are unionized. Unions are largely responsible for employment rules that prevent hiring and firing teachers according to merit and a principal’s discretion. Union-demanded teacher employment results in salary schedules that pay people according to credentials and length of tenure in a given school district, not teacher quality.

The results are well-documented: significantly less student learning, especially for the children who need extra help. This reduces kids’ future income and employment prospects. It also especially hurts kids with special needs and math and science education, since the people who are qualified to meet those needs typically have far more lucrative and less bureaucratic career options outside of education, where due to union-demanded salary arrangements schools often cannot offer them competitive compensation.

Government employee unions are a major contributor to the tsunami of state and local debt about to engulf the nation, as they are the ones who used their ill-gotten political war chests to demand big benefits for their retirees at the expense of today’s taxpayers. Unfunded government pension liabilities — or the difference between what politicians negotiated with unions and what they’ve saved — now stand nationwide at $19,000 for every single U.S. resident. That’s resident, not taxpayer, so if you have two kids and a wife, that’s $76,000 your family “owes” to people providing no public service now or in the future.

Gradually eroding the dominant power in education will have many effects, among them giving local school districts far more freedom. It remains to be seen what they will do with it. That may take a solid generation to shift, however, given that the people currently at the helm have been shaped by the union-dominated form of public education. Typically even local reforms and changes fade within just a few years, as a peppy administrator moves to a new job or a fresh school board gets worn or voted out.

I think the best way to solve teachers resorting to unions to gain bargaining power that the monopoly school system siphons from them is to give every family substantial bargaining power, through school vouchers. That would restore good teachers’ power by forcing school districts to care about student achievement to attract students, rather than relying upon inertia. If school districts care about achievement, they will start to focus on teacher quality real fast, as teacher excellence is the No. 1 driver of student achievement.

After all the hyperbole, these are the nitty-gritty items of the linked article. Let's deal with those, shall we.

Things I've learned from this post as far as what people want and believe

1) kids bear zero responsibility in performance and work ethic. It's only the teacher. Kids, parents, have zero responsibility as its rarely mentioned. That sentiment is like a neon light glowing.

2) You will cry and whine about it but won't quit your job and teach. Snowflake mentality. Give up your earning potential and move to lagging states and struggling schools and help fix the problem. Its your turn to show america how it should be done.

3) Parents are a big part of the problem but you will never state this. If a teacher tries to discipline a kid back the parents are there defending the kid no matter how disruptive the kid is. Then you blame the teacher. Figures.

4)When the union's are all gone you will then have to look in the mirror to find the reason things haven't improved. Until you fix the degradation of the family things shall continue as is. This fact escaped you.....conveniently.

5) I think bad teachers should be fired and where I live they are let go from time to time and there is no protection for them. No reason has to be given. However good teachers who acquire high test scores can be fired without reason too. And I know many of you would ever back even the best teacher. your hatred for them is comparable to some of the wacko anti trumpers out there. Paint with the big broad brush.

6) Here teachers with a master's degree plus 25 years are making 52 thousand not 80. Im on the school board here. 52 thousand after 25 years is nothing in today's world. Some would complain about that. But they also believe in personal freedom to find a good job. They say teaching is so easy and overpaid yet they had the chance to become one. Hypocritical thinking? Hmmmm

7) local control may very well be the ticket but many of you would state that maybe locals don't always know what's best. Now what?

What an outstanding response! Thank you.

Forum List

Back