6 weeks of weight training

An ad hominem...how expected.

You still haven't answered my question.
the point was that every time you speak you reveal how little you know.

I know very little about “black belts” or dojos or karate or whatever. But former jobs and life experience taught me a bit about actual fighting. And you, sir, do not seem to know squat about being in a fight.

(And I suspect you don’t know much more about “real” martial arts, either. Whatever real martial arts entails)

I know very little about “black belts” or dojos or karate or whatever. But former jobs and life experience taught me a bit about actual fighting. And you, sir, do not seem to know squat about being in a fight.

(And I suspect you don’t know much more about “real” martial arts, either)
The black belts I knew would land a street fighter on the sidewalk in under 5 seconds.
If they couldn't, they wouldn't get the belt.
On the other hand, it took 6 to 10 years to get a black belt, not the typical 3 given away in the US.

The black belts I knew would land a street fighter on the sidewalk in under 5 seconds.
If they couldn't, they wouldn't get the belt.
On the other hand, it took 6 to 10 years to get a black belt, not the typical 3 given away in the US.
🤷

I’m sure there’s legit dojos in the US, but most of them seem to be fitness centers similar to Zumba classes or something. Great cardio. Good moral/sportsmanship lessons for the kids. But training *real* fighters?

Put them up against a dude with practical fighting experience and they’d get their asses kicked.

Put them up against a pro MMA fighter and they’re in the hospital with massive internal injuries.

🤷

I’m sure there’s legit dojos in the US, but most of them seem to be fitness centers similar to Zumba classes or something. Great cardio. Good moral/sportsmanship lessons for the kids. But training *real* fighters?

Put them up against a dude with practical fighting experience and they’d get their asses kicked.

Put them up against a pro MMA fighter and they’re in the hospital with massive internal injuries.
I agree with that post 1000%.
That's the sad state of the "Martial Arts" in the US; it's all about money.

Did you get your brown belt in a monastery in Thailand or something?
In Brooklyn.
I got the black eye a week after I got my Brown Belt.
Brown Belt meant I got pretty good at the basics.
My teacher wanted to relay the message that I'm nothing until perhaps Black Belt.

In Brooklyn.
I got the black eye a week after I got my Brown Belt.
Brown Belt meant I got pretty good at the basics.
My teacher wanted to relay the message that I'm nothing until perhaps Black Belt.
And I’m sure you paid him.

I’m not saying it was worthless. As I said, it’s probably a good workout and worthwhile lessons re: dedication, sportsmanship etc.

But thinking it makes you (or anyone) some karate whiz who can take down someone my size or even someone your size who has real-world fighting/brawling experience…. Sorry that’s just childish fantasy.

And I’m sure you paid him.

I’m not saying it was worthless. As I said, it’s probably a good workout and worthwhile lessons re: dedication, sportsmanship etc.

But thinking it makes you (or anyone) some karate whiz who can take down someone my size or even someone your size who has real-world fighting/brawling experience…. Sorry that’s just childish fantasy.
I never said that about myself.
I have yet to see a great street fighter and I grew up in a very tough neighborhood.
Street fighters tend to go after smaller people.

I never said that about myself.
I have yet to see a great street fighter and I grew up in a very tough neighborhood.
Street fighters tend to go after smaller people.
Well, I grew up in a decent neighborhood so I guess I’ll have to take your word there.

I did, however, spend years as a bouncer at a gentleman’s club in a *very* tough neighborhood, and the real fights were fast, gnarly, always involved going down to the ground, grappling and hitting the other guy as hard as you can more than he hits you.

And that’s just fistfights, not even mentioning guns, knifes, brass knuckles or the girls’ stiletto heels and all that.

There’s no pretty martial arts and no rules in a real fight. If you ever get into a real fight, I think you’ll be in trouble

(And I suspect you don’t know much more about “real” martial arts, either. Whatever real martial arts entails)
I can say he very apparently doesn't know squat about either.

Some lift heavy to show off (to whom?)
Ok, it bugs me when people say stuff like this.

They’re lifting heavy because they *can* lift heavy.

The dude in your story who was benching a couple ten-pound plates was lifting as heavy as he apparently could. Was *he* showing off?

You say the only goal is to improve. How can advanced weightlifters improve unless they’re lifting as heavy as they can?

Should they not lift heavy because it’s “showing off” and…. what? Some newbie will be intimidated or something?

Ok, it bugs me when people say stuff like this.

They’re lifting heavy because they *can* lift heavy.

The dude in your story who was benching a couple ten-pound plates was lifting as heavy as he apparently could. Was *he* showing off?

You say the only goal is to improve. How can advanced weightlifters improve unless they’re lifting as heavy as they can?

Should they not lift heavy because it’s “showing off” and…. what? Some newbie will be intimidated or something?

It all depends on how they lift. I've seen guys grab 100 dumbbells, move them to where the new guy is working out and do some hammer curls with a smile.

Sure, we can't read minds, but to me that's showing off. More importantly, it's not what I think, but what they know is there intention.

Go as heavy as you need to, but do it for the right objective. I explained the same to someone who suggested that I was "showing off when I lifted heavy. I explained that, no, "I lift what I lift because I NEED to, in order to grow, do you not think I was also lifting much less than this when I began"?

I then told them "the day you see me stand beside the new guy or scream like a wild banshee as if I just dropped a boulder on my toe, then you can question my motives".

It all depends on how they lift. I've seen guys grab 100 dumbbells, move them to where the new guy is working out and do some hammer curls with a smile.

Sure, we can't read minds, but to me that's showing off. More importantly, it's not what I think, but what they know is there intention.

Go as heavy as you need to, but do it for the right objective. I explained the same to someone who suggested that I was "showing off when I lifted heavy. I explained that, no, "I lift what I lift because I NEED to, in order to grow, do you not think I was also lifting much less than this when I began"?

I then told them "the day you see me stand beside the new guy or scream like a wild banshee as if I just dropped a boulder on my toe, then you can question my motives".
I mean, I’ll admit to showing off to some extent. I’ve worked hard for my size and strength level. I’ve earned it. We were all new to lifting at some point, and those of us who weren’t pussies looked up to the bigger, stronger guys rather then get all intimidated or whatever.

I’ll also admit to purposefully lifting way more than someone, and making sure they know it, if they’re already being a d-bag. Or if it’s a group of cocky young guys and I just want to put them in their place. We’re only human. And it’s sort of a normal guy-thing to do. It’s a gym. We’re pumping iron. It’s not a tea party.

Forum List

Back