71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen

Do you predict a terror attack within the decade?

• Very likely

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Likely

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Not likely

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I hope so because America deserves it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Evidenced by what actions?? The vast majority of us still get on planes. I think there's more anger than fear at the way our lives were forced to change. The human spirit is amazingly resilient, and I happen to believe that Americans are exceptional in their desire to stand strong against the face of adversary.

Not all Americans will still get on planes. But it's more than that, perhaps "attitudes" is a better word than "actions". It's in the causes they - we - choose to support, the nature of the arguments over all issues remotely related to terrorism, the rise of nationalistic fervor and collective paranoia. Did you or anyone else notice the arguments on issues ranging from the NYC mosque to koran burning to the wars and on and on quickly devolve into blamefests and accusations while they rather decidedly avoid any concrete discussion of security - or insecurity, as the case may be? I'd say a lot of Americans are still coping, still adjusting, still evolving and in many ways still struggling with denial over their feelings of insecurity and how best to address them. Which I don't have a problem with per se, but let's then at least be honest about it.

I just don't see fear as the motivating factor in any of those examples. You can argue that fear is an underlying issue for some, and in select circumstances, but it is not what consumes us as a people.

I'd say it's an underlying issue to some degree for a lot of folks, and for more reasons than 9/11 but that was what started the ball rolling with the collective insecurity. Random death and destruction from the sky.....that's certainly a traumatizing event and thought, isn't it? Like I said, I'm not going to make any judgments about individuals, but the signs of a widespread problem are there in the arguments on this board and in the national discourse - or what passes for it. We're sort of stuck in a loop.

Go back under your rock rw, and let the grownups look out for you.

The only thing I demand of the federal government is national security. They cannot monitor every bullied teenager who may plan a Columbine, but they sure as hell can look out for the Anwar al-Awlakis and the Major Hassans in this country. They can also ENFORCE immigration laws to make sure some of these bad actors aren't crossing our borders and overstaying their fake student visas.

Terrorism deniers are fringe as the Rasmussen report points out. They remind me of "troofers".

Wrong again sweetheart..

We need to prepare for all forms of terrorism. You are just as dead if that teenager kills you as if Joe Jihad kills you

Not all Americans will still get on planes. But it's more than that, perhaps "attitudes" is a better word than "actions". It's in the causes they - we - choose to support, the nature of the arguments over all issues remotely related to terrorism, the rise of nationalistic fervor and collective paranoia. Did you or anyone else notice the arguments on issues ranging from the NYC mosque to koran burning to the wars and on and on quickly devolve into blamefests and accusations while they rather decidedly avoid any concrete discussion of security - or insecurity, as the case may be? I'd say a lot of Americans are still coping, still adjusting, still evolving and in many ways still struggling with denial over their feelings of insecurity and how best to address them. Which I don't have a problem with per se, but let's then at least be honest about it.

I just don't see fear as the motivating factor in any of those examples. You can argue that fear is an underlying issue for some, and in select circumstances, but it is not what consumes us as a people.

I'd say it's an underlying issue to some degree for a lot of folks, and for more reasons than 9/11 but that was what started the ball rolling with the collective insecurity. Random death and destruction from the sky.....that's certainly a traumatizing event and thought, isn't it? Like I said, I'm not going to make any judgments about individuals, but the signs of a widespread problem are there in the arguments on this board and in the national discourse - or what passes for it. We're sort of stuck in a loop.

Yes, but it could just as easily be attributed to anger, pride, stubborness, or any other range of emotions. I just don't see fear, specifically, as the overriding source of what moves Americans to respond to these issues of our time.

This topic is actually more complicated than it appears. From a purely tactical point of view, I think it will be a very long time before the jihadists or any other terror group can pull off another attack on the same scale as 9/11. The point here is to never say never because someone will always find a way to beat the odds. But for now, I'd say the odds are very slim to remote that we'll experience a repeat attack.

The reason why I say that this is more complicated than meets the eye is because the bad guys don't have to conduct a repeat attack in order to repeat the same effects of the 9/11 attacks. Blame our media and our instant information age for that. Take a look at that wacko Florida preacher, for instance. His "congregation" consists of what----some 30 or so people? Yet through the internet, he was able to communicate a message that received widespread attention. Even so, that attention was basically limited to the internet until the mainstream media as well as the Obama administration decided to give him some attention.

I'm not trying to compare Pastor Jones' actions with those of international terrorists. All I'm saying is that the crazy actions of some obscure little man whose following is only a handful of equally obscure little people can potentially receive worldwide attention and be the subject of discussion by world leaders, generals and internet message boards. So what I take from this lesson is that terrorists don't need to have the tactical capability to pull off another attack on the same scale of 9/11. The media will give them plenty of attention that it will give the terrorists the same strategic effect of the 9/11 attacks.

Consider this: we suffer shootings on a frequent basis. And I don't mean to trivialize this, but it seems that these shootings are fairly routine. Some pissed off employee comes to work and shoots fellow employees, customers, etc. The media covers it but with less and less intensity as they become more frequent and somewhat routine. Now comes the Ft. Hood shootings, and this story receives major league attention by the news media. On the face of it, when you get right down to it, as a shooting incident by itself, the Ft. Hood shootings were no different than any other shooting, in fact, not as bad as other shootings. But the nation stopped in its tracks and stayed glued to the TV screens as cable news and major TV networks covered this story in spades. The fact that this occurred on a military installation reduces the panic level. But what if he shot up a shopping mall? I'd argue that the effect would be much more devastating across the nation because of the media spin. Keep in mind, shopping centers suffer similar type of violence, mostly gang-related stuff. But we don't hear about those except on the local level. And McDonalds-type shootings are not unusual, but the only real attention they draw is enough to inflame another gun control debate. Had Hasan walked into the shopping mall in Killeen, TX rather than the personnel in-processing center at Ft. Hood, I think there would have been widespread hysteria based on the media spin.

So, no, I don't think the bad guys can pull off another 9/11 type attack right now. But, yes, I think we will suffer the similar effects in the near future with a smaller scale, probably ineffective (from a strictly tactical perspective) attack because of how the media covers these things.

Yes, but it could just as easily be attributed to anger, pride, stubborness, or any other range of emotions. I just don't see fear, specifically, as the overriding source of what moves Americans to respond to these issues of our time.

You don't see fear, paranoia, isolationism, suspicion even of our own let alone the Other? Hmmm...personally I see it everywhere. It's rampant. And understandable, especially when you consider how carefully it's exploited and fed by media and politicians as a tool to peddle their product. I just think we should be honest about it and confront it instead of going around and around in the endless bogeyman chase. That won't solve anything.

You don't see fear, paranoia, isolationism, suspicion even of our own let alone the Other? Hmmm...personally I see it everywhere. It's rampant. And understandable, especially when you consider how carefully it's exploited and fed by media and politicians as a tool to peddle their product. I just think we should be honest about it and confront it instead of going around and around in the endless bogeyman chase. That won't solve anything.

Where did I say I didn't see those things?? I just don't think it's the number one driving force in the minds of every day Americans as they conduct their lives, and yes, even take time to debate issues. Your thoughts may differ, but I won't insist that there is only one interpretation.

Where did I say I didn't see those things?? I just don't think it's the number one driving force in the minds of every day Americans as they conduct their lives, and yes, even take time to debate issues. Your thoughts may differ, but I won't insist that there is only one interpretation.

And I'll hand you that anger and pride are also part of the mix - particularly the "pride" part. In fact, anger and especially pride are a big part of why we're stuck in the rut where we are. But I still believe fear is the underlying primary problem for many Americans, the rest of the mix is more secondary.

But if we all agreed, places like this would be boring as hell. :lol:

Every teacher in America is cognizant that a Columbine style attack could happen anywhere. Our school has mandatory lock down drills once a month. It does not paralyze people, but to say it's not a concern would be foolhardy.

The same goes for Islamic terrorism. To deny its possibility - even probability - is ignorance.

The sense I get from people like rw is "shit happens". Decent people may not be worried about being blown up every day, but they may be concerned that someone else will. That's an adult point of view.

It's not "collective paranoia". It's reality and empathy.

And I'll hand you that anger and pride are also part of the mix - particularly the "pride" part. In fact, anger and especially pride are a big part of why we're stuck in the rut where we are. But I still believe fear is the underlying primary problem for many Americans, the rest of the mix is more secondary.

But if we all agreed, places like this would be boring as hell. :lol:

Oh I don't do boring.:D

Today is the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and 71% of Americans think it’s at least somewhat likely another event this devastating will happen within the next decade. This includes 39% who say it's Very Likely.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only 22% of Adults believe it’s not very or not at all likely another 9/11 will take place in America in the next 10 years.

The number of adults who feel another terrorist attack is possible is up five points from last year when 66% of Americans felt that way.

71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen In Next 10 Years - Rasmussen Reports

I'd be interested to see who would agree/disagree with this report. I believe an attempt is "very likely". A successful attack? I pray not.

Interesting topic...

And the numbers don't surprise me at all. With this crap with the GZ Mosque...Obama and Holder's treatment of offenders...The left's outright denial of the threat and choosing to coddle them?

I am not surprised in the least.

Here is an interesting site that lays out the cells here...and speaks to our Government's blindness/ignorence...

Every teacher in America is cognizant that a Columbine style attack could happen anywhere. Our school has mandatory lock down drills once a month. It does not paralyze people, but to say it's not a concern would be foolhardy.

The same goes for Islamic terrorism. To deny its possibility - even probability - is ignorance.

The sense I get from people like rw is "shit happens". Decent people may not be worried about being blown up every day, but they may be concerned that someone else will. That's an adult point of view.

I've heard of quite a few people who grew up in the days of nuclear drills, and they had actual nightmares about such scenerios. I hope we've done a better job with our youth at teaching them to be prepared, without all the attached anxiety.

Far from it...

If you had bothered to read my posts on this thread, I have repeatedly said we need to prepare for all forms of terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic it is not a movement. However, many of the same tactics to combat foreign terrorists are effective in stopping domestic terrorists.
People in this country are sensitized to reporting even insignificant concerns. It leads to many false alarms, but also results in stopping legitimate terrorist acts.
As a teacher, you know that we no longer ignore the outcast student who grumbles about revenge.
We live in a different world

Support for Islamic terrorist by Muslims is fiction created by Internet bloggers and talk radio hosts who are far more interested in growing their audience and their revenues than they are in responsible journalist. Support for the terrorist is low and falling worldwide. In August 2007, 33% in Pakistan had a favorable view of Al Qaeda. That has fallen to 18%. If Al Qaeda were on the ballot, only 1% would vote for them, 3% for the Taliban. A poll in Saudi Arabia in 2003 showed 49% had a favorable opinion of Al Qaeda. That has falling to 10%. The numbers supporting suicide bombings in Indonesia, Lebanon, and Bangladesh, for instance, have dropped by half or more in the last five years.

With support for the terrorist among Muslim falling, the rising hatred toward Muslims in the US can only have tragic consequence.

Look who's pro-U.S. now: Saudi Arabia - CSMonitor.com
http://www.terrorfreetomorrow.org/upimagestft/TFT Pakistan Poll Report.pdf

Support for Islamic terrorist by Muslims is fiction created by Internet bloggers and talk radio hosts who are far more interested in growing their audience and their revenues than they are in responsible journalist. Support for the terrorist is low and falling worldwide. In August 2007, 33% in Pakistan had a favorable view of Al Qaeda. That has fallen to 18%. If Al Qaeda were on the ballot, only 1% would vote for them, 3% for the Taliban. A poll in Saudi Arabia in 2003 showed 49% had a favorable opinion of Al Qaeda. That has falling to 10%. The numbers supporting suicide bombings in Indonesia, Lebanon, and Bangladesh, for instance, have dropped by half or more in the last five years.

With support for the terrorist among Muslim falling, the rising hatred toward Muslims in the US can only have tragic consequence.

Look who's pro-U.S. now: Saudi Arabia - CSMonitor.com
http://www.terrorfreetomorrow.org/upimagestft/TFT Pakistan Poll Report.pdf

The idea being pushed by the right wing fear mongerers is of an Islamic community that is the same as it was ten years ago. There was once a romantic attraction to jihadists as freedom fighters putting it to the infidels. Muslims around the world recognize the harm the radicals have done to their cause. Most fear the extremists as much as we do.

I've heard of quite a few people who grew up in the days of nuclear drills, and they had actual nightmares about such scenerios. I hope we've done a better job with our youth at teaching them to be prepared, without all the attached anxiety.

All they need see is the footage of the attacks against us...the towers falling...Beheadings of people like Daniel Pearl...they'll get the message LOUD AND CLEAR.

I grew up with the nuclear drills. They would round us up depending on where we lived and have us go down into the basement while we waited for the all clear. As a kid, it was no more upsetting than a fire drill...nobody I knew was traumatized

All they need see is the footage of the attacks against us...the towers falling...Beheadings of people like Daniel Pearl...they'll get the message LOUD AND CLEAR.

Apparently not. Tons of Liberals and Far left loons see them and still do not understand.

I grew up with the nuclear drills. They would round us up depending on where we lived and have us go down into the basement while we waited for the all clear. As a kid, it was no more upsetting than a fire drill...nobody I knew was traumatized

Well good for you...and your word is the final assessment.:lol:

Forum List

Back