80% of Texans don't have flood insurance. Should we bail them out?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Sure. Why not?. Lets also bail out people too cheap to buy fire insurance for their house.

A majority of Texans don't have flood insurance. That could be a problem for the government.

aug 29 2017 According to Insurance Council of Texas, a stunning 80 percent of Texans don't own flood insurance. That means the majority of disaster victims will look to federal agencies, like FEMA, for additional relief. Through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program (IHP), disaster victims who don't have insurance could file to receive up to $33,000 for home repair. They'll also be able to apply for low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA).

DIfx3f9XcAE3CVW.jpg

Bad timing, I haven't heard anything about Texas seceding for ages.

As to the OP, from what I've heard (not investigated really at all mind you) the places worst hit are poverty ridden so the reality is that they don't have /any/ insurance at all. I also hear... I say we bail them out as long as they let us deport their illegal neighbors - we'd break about even if the numbers I've heard are anywhere near accurate heh

That aside, if Texas is still similar to Alaska then these small town residents will get together and fix each others stuff so at least we'll save on labor.

You mean should governments at any level pay for their uninsured losses due to flooding? Hell, no!

Flood insurance is cheap. (It's even cheaper for renters.) There's no excuse for not having it. It rains everywhere in TX, which means flooding it a risk. One's not obligated to insure against that risk, but one is well advised to do so.

Last edited:
See, flood insurance should have been mandatory. Buy it or pay a fine.

If that means nobody has enough money to pay their mortgage I'm sure liberals will come up with a welfare program to help.

As to the OP, from what I've heard (not investigated really at all mind you) the places worst hit are poverty ridden so the reality is that they don't have /any/ insurance at all. I also hear... I say we bail them out as long as they let us deport their illegal neighbors - we'd break about even if the numbers I've heard are anywhere near accurate heh

That aside, if Texas is still similar to Alaska then these small town residents will get together and fix each others stuff so at least we'll save on labor.

Does this look like a poverty ridden area with no insurance?
aptopix-harvey.jpg

listening to npr...only 1 outta 6 have flood insurance ...gov provided flood insurance only goes to 1/4 of a mil....seems if you get a payout from flood insurance one time....that should be all that is allowed...rebuilding in the same spot is senseless even in 100 yr floods

Sure. Why not?. Lets also bail out people too cheap to buy fire insurance for their house.

A majority of Texans don't have flood insurance. That could be a problem for the government.

aug 29 2017 According to Insurance Council of Texas, a stunning 80 percent of Texans don't own flood insurance. That means the majority of disaster victims will look to federal agencies, like FEMA, for additional relief. Through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program (IHP), disaster victims who don't have insurance could file to receive up to $33,000 for home repair. They'll also be able to apply for low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA).

And Trump wants more people to build on places that flood often too.... wahhhhhhhhhhh

Does this look like a poverty ridden area with no insurance?
aptopix-harvey.jpg

Not sure you picked the best picture there. Those all look like businesses to me... There's what some kind of shopping mall or office building in the front left? It almost looks like a school... (Either way it doesn't look flooded from this picture) it might be a huge apartment complex, but if it is I'd write it up as low income housing or section 8 type - folks with money don't live like sardines like that buildings structure implies. Moving on, maybe the white building in the center left might be a flooded apartment building (maybe holds like 150-200 tenants at most.) Kind of to the right center is another place that might be flooded; gray building and the white one behind it might be flooded houses or apartments, both look like they hold even less tenants than the white building. If these building owners (businesses, apartment building owners, same thing) are stupid enough to not carry insurance then bummer their businesses go under - actually a risk all the time, not just during natural disasters so whoopty-shit. Honestly looking at this image I see maybe 4 or 5 buildings that are even flooded, none of which really look like homes or apartments to me.

Here's the kicker though. This is a river that's over flown its banks; you can follow it's path easily across the image by the bridges and shit. Most of the flooded areas are actually just roads which in general recover from flooding alright. The flooding doesn't even make it into the "background" of high rises and doesn't even make it to the building in the left foreground. If you're living on/in a river basin and don't have flood insurance one kind of deserves to have to rebuild out of their own pocket.

On a lark I decided to hunt down this location. I was right, the front left is the University of Huston and you can see on Google Maps - Google Maps that the whole area that is flooded is mostly low lying roads and parking lots, the white building I thought was an apartment is Spaghetti something. Anyway, bottom line, not houses but businesses who are on a river, and should have had flood insurance...

`
`

I'm not at all a vindictive type, despite the fact that Cruz and other Texas congress persons voted against any aid to the victims of Hurricane Sandy. I would advocate for aid for Texans.

N

NO, they are one of many, who get the most bailouts, over and over for the same floodable lands. Some homes have been rebuilt many, many plus times. It's like a free remodel on the gobmint

You mean should governments at any level pay for their uninsured losses due to flooding? Hell, no!

Flood insurance is cheap. (It's even cheaper for renters.) There's no excuse for not having it. It rains everywhere in TX, which means flooding it a risk. One's not obligated to insure against that risk, but one is well advised to do so.
We should go ahead and bail them out, and then pass a federal law requiring everyone to buy flood insurance.

We should go ahead and bail them out, and then pass a federal law requiring everyone to buy flood insurance.

They won't be able to afford it. but they are available.

Forum List

Back