A bit more of your merciful god.

That alone should give you pause. Do you think that God who judged previous generations won't do it again?
I think if he was going to he would have by now because as a species human beings suck

There is no contempt in not worshiping something as divine nor is it a snub I would respectfully refuse to do so just like I respectfully refuse to do lots of other things.
Let's try again. A common saying especially about a child, is "He worships the ground that person walks on." Did you ever worship the ground a loved one walked on because that person was that dear to you?

Scripture teaches that God loves us and would love to enter into a relationship with us, a sharing of knowing and being there for each other. Despite an invitation from God, are you saying you would say no and walk away? Are you also saying you would never extend an invitation to God to enter into any kind of friendship? You would withhold all love from God?

By the way, I don't think you know what true worship is. It is a guess, but are you equating 'worship' with a religious rite, like someone is asking you to worship a wedding, for example?

I think if he was going to he would have by now because as a species human beings suck
And there it is. If God acts, He's cruel and merciless. If He doesn't do it right away, He's falling down on the job. The fact that He doesn't pass judgement right away IS because He is merciful. Remember that Sodom and Gomorrah would have been spared had only 10 righteous people been found.

Last edited:
There in nothing that is in the bible that cannot be found from other historical sources so the advice is nothing new and quite frankly that advice is written in a clearer manner than it is in the bible.
So what? I teach may subjects at many schools, often from different books. There is nothing in any math, history, grammar, science book that cannot be found in another book. After one book is written should we forbid anyone else from composing another on the same subject? I.don't.think.so.

Ever read any directions translated from the Chinese? I have. Both funny and confusing. The original languages of the Bible are Hebrew and Greek, primarily, translated into English. Bet something written on the same topic, today, would be much clearer to those of us whose first language is English.

However, there is value in studying translated material because of the opportunity it offers (if one takes the time) to understand other cultures, histories, and languages. I would no more recommend tossing a book because it was first written in another language than I recommend tossing all but one version of textbooks.

Let's try again. A common saying especially about a child, is "He worships the ground that person walks on." Did you ever worship the ground a loved one walked on because that person was that dear to you?

Scripture teaches that God loves us and would love to enter into a relationship with us, a sharing of knowing and being there for each other. Despite an invitation from God, are you saying you would say no and walk away? Are you also saying you would never extend an invitation to God to enter into any kind of friendship? You would withhold all love from God?

By the way, I don't think you know what true worship is. It is a guess, but are you equating 'worship' with a religious rite, like someone is asking you to worship a wedding, for example?

My family was FUBAR and there is not a single person I would even say hello to left.

And if there is a vast power difference it is impossible to be in any type of relationship where there is any equality whatsoever therefore there can be no friendship.

I wouldn't be rude or crass I just wouldn't get involved and no god should ever be offended at that

And there it is. If God acts, He's cruel and merciless. If He doesn't do it right away, He's falling down on the job. The fact that He doesn't pass judgement right away IS because He is merciful. Remember Sodom and Gomorrah that would have been spared had only 10 righteous people been found.
Once again we see a natural or even a man made disaster being given a divine origin.

It was probably an earthquake or a fire that razed those cities.

So what? I teach may subjects at many schools, often from different books. There is nothing in any math, history, grammar, science book that cannot be found in another book. After one book is written should we forbid anyone else from composing another on the same subject? I.don't.think.so.

Ever read any directions translated from the Chinese? I have. Both funny and confusing. The original languages of the Bible are Hebrew and Greek, primarily, translated into English. Bet something written on the same topic, today, would be much clearer to those of us whose first language is English.

However, there is value in studying translated material because of the opportunity it offers (if one takes the time) to understand other cultures, histories, and languages. I would no more recommend tossing a book because it was first written in another language than I recommend tossing all but one version of textbooks.
Hey I read the bible several times cover to cover> I used to have coffee with a Rabbi once a month and we had some great conversations about the OT.

But I also read lots of other books on philosophy, anthropology, ethics, logic etc. and those were all a better source of information than the bible so why would I pick the bible over any of those sources as being the best source when it's obvious that many of those works were just rehashed in the bible.

Like I said the only reason to choose the bible as the source of choice for those subjects is because you want the religious dogma attached to them

But I also read lots of other books on philosophy, anthropology, ethics, logic etc. and those were all a better source of information than the bible so why would I pick the bible over any of those sources as being the best source when it's obvious that many of those works were just rehashed in the bible.
No one has ever asked me to pick any book over any other--Bible included. I read them all. Each book I have is a favorite source for something, but I certainly don't toss a book because it is my favorite source for only one or two things. No one has ever asked me to keep the Bible and do away with all the others. Further, each book approaches topics from a new/different perspective. For me, this is fascinating--the differences, the many different approaches. Shrug. I don't feel the need to criticize/downplay any of them. It would be like seeing my younger brother as merely a rehash of my older brother. There is more to both than hash. :)

Anyway, I am sorry if someone made you feel you had to choose the Bible over other books. Can't really relate to that because no one ever made me feel that way.

Once again we see a natural or even a man made disaster being given a divine origin.

It was probably an earthquake or a fire that razed those cities.
More likely an asteroid that exploded above them on entry into the atmosphere.

I never believed in the eternal life thing. I have accepted that my time as me is finite
And that belief is fine and has no bearing on our main point, which is if at any time God was proven to exist in your finite time, you would have no interest in Him, other than acknowledging He is a part of the universe.

No one has ever asked me to pick any book over any other--Bible included. I read them all. Each book I have is a favorite source for something, but I certainly don't toss a book because it is my favorite source for only one or two things. No one has ever asked me to keep the Bible and do away with all the others. Further, each book approaches topics from a new/different perspective. For me, this is fascinating--the differences, the many different approaches. Shrug. I don't feel the need to criticize/downplay any of them. It would be like seeing my younger brother as merely a rehash of my older brother. There is more to both than hash. :)

Anyway, I am sorry if someone made you feel you had to choose the Bible over other books. Can't really relate to that because no one ever made me feel that way.
The fact is the bible is not a good source for anything other than the religious aspects. That is my opinion and no one ever asked me to choose. But then why would I choose a poorly written book on philosophy, ethics , or any other subject over one that is better written?

And how you compare to different people to books is one of those really poor analogies you like to use.

The fact is that some books are better sources for any subject matter than others. They are not all equal.

Last edited:
And that belief is fine and has no bearing on our main point, which is if at any time God was proven to exist in your finite time, you would have no interest in Him, other than acknowledging He is a part of the universe.
And?

Shrug. If you didn't get the point, you didn't get the point. I don't see the problem.
You wouldn't.

It's a poor analogy as one person cannot be a rehash of another in any way shape or form unless you are talking about clones

That alone should give you pause. Do you think that God who judged previous generations won't do it again?
He saved mankind by destroying mankind? It what ways is mankind better behaved today vs. 2,000 years ago?

the heavens will not intervene again to prevent the self destruction of humanity than being instrumental in its certainty when warranted.

the c bible fails to address the flood event in proper perspective - noah was all that prevented humanity from being stricken by the heavens as irredeemable, in the sense of doing so beforehand they gave humanity a second chance and relayed again the mission granted a&e for their own self determination for remission to paradise - of their own accord.

the same message as the 1st century events that were denied by the jews and latter substituted with servitude to a madeup messiah.

Forum List

Back