CDZ A Comprehensive Look At The Uneven Playing Field

It's just a shame that some people allow others to portray them as inferior to explain away their faults.

It's plainly obvious that slavery was terrible. It is equally plainly obvious that no black person today was affected by slavery in any way, shape, or form.

Those who choose to do so have equal opportunity, and more importantly ABILITY , to succeed in life as anyone else.

Stop letting liberals convince you that blacks are inferior.

Last edited:
With regard to the context of this thread -- black folks and their fortunes -- the economic story is mixed.

160315142609-chart-unemployment-rate-falls-780x439.jpg

At 8.8% in February, the share of jobless black Americans is the lowest its been since April 2008. While the unemployment rate for blacks is still higher than it is for whites, it's far lower than the 17.3% rate reported in January 2010.

160315142616-chart-median-income-for-blacks-780x439.jpg

Blacks have seen their median income stagnate, along with the rest of the population. Median income stood at $35,398 in 2014, just a touch below where it was in 2009, when Obama took office. But it has climbed back from $33,926 in 2011.

I think the chart above says it all if one understands the reality and the extant history black Americans face. I think for many if not most black folks, the situation now is seen through the lens of "Jim Crow," "separate but equal," lynchings, and forced segregation. From that vantage point, and seeing a black President, along with myriad wildly and typically successful blacks, America looks pretty good and the current circumstances, while not perfect by any means, are yet a world apart from the U.S. 20-something and younger blacks' parents and grandparents knew and describe.

Now if someone comes along with a clear plan with some "meat on the bone" explaining how they'll directly address this....

160125130136-racial-wealth-gap-780x439.jpg

...Blacks may well be willing to give them a chance if they also are credible.

Trump claims to want to be a part of fixing that, but he's not offering any details that give blacks comfort. If one were to ask me, I'd say it isn't particularly hard for Trump or anyone else to find out how to be credible to the black community. What worked for me when I first began to mentor young black kids in D.C. was my just asking them and their mothers/parents, "What will you need to see from me for you to trust that I have yours and your child's best interests in mind?" One'd be amazed what one can learn just by asking. Just as the kids couldn't become great students and responsible individuals without my showing them and they sincerely following through on the input I gave them, I couldn't gain their trust without their showing me how to do so and in turn sincerely following their instructions.

That's how one creates "win-win" situations, which is a critical success factor in business. Trump should know that and know how to apply it to running for office, but I don't see any evidence of that. All I see is Trump telling everyone "stuff," but asking for their input on nothing, other than a vote.

Let's be real. There is absolutely NOTHING a non Democratic candidate could do to sway the majority of blacks. NOTHING.

IF 88% of ANY group consistently votes for one single party, especially a party that has done NOTHING of value for that group, there is something wrong with that group. That's just a fact.

As in..... middle American whites consistently voting for trickle-down economics that don't trickle down?

You're hoist on your own petard.

I know the phrase. How is it applicable to me and in this conversation?

It is policies being pushed by progressives, which you support, that are driving the black folks out of their homes.

Policies that are pushed by progressives include the Head Start program, free public college tuition, free health care, etc. All of these would put poor blacks in a position NOT to be pushed out of their homes, which is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

Your thesis is retarded and played out by Rush Limbaugh and Ron Paul clones.

None of those programs are free. That's the problem. Progressives love to point to Germany as an example of a country that offers free college tuition. What they ignore is that the number of kids who qualify to go to college is very, very small. They take a test in middle school and that sets them on their course. Forever. Score low and you are set on a vocational track. Score high enough and yes your college is indeed "free" however, millions of folks have been paying very high tax rates to pay for that "free" college tuition.

Indeed, they are not. Taxes need to be collected to sustain a modern society. Welcome to 1865.

With regard to the context of this thread -- black folks and their fortunes -- the economic story is mixed.

At 8.8% in February, the share of jobless black Americans is the lowest its been since April 2008. While the unemployment rate for blacks is still higher than it is for whites, it's far lower than the 17.3% rate reported in January 2010.

Blacks have seen their median income stagnate, along with the rest of the population. Median income stood at $35,398 in 2014, just a touch below where it was in 2009, when Obama took office. But it has climbed back from $33,926 in 2011.

I think the chart above says it all if one understands the reality and the extant history black Americans face. I think for many if not most black folks, the situation now is seen through the lens of "Jim Crow," "separate but equal," lynchings, and forced segregation. From that vantage point, and seeing a black President, along with myriad wildly and typically successful blacks, America looks pretty good and the current circumstances, while not perfect by any means, are yet a world apart from the U.S. 20-something and younger blacks' parents and grandparents knew and describe.

Now if someone comes along with a clear plan with some "meat on the bone" explaining how they'll directly address this....

Trump claims to want to be a part of fixing that, but he's not offering any details that give blacks comfort. If one were to ask me, I'd say it isn't particularly hard for Trump or anyone else to find out how to be credible to the black community. What worked for me when I first began to mentor young black kids in D.C. was my just asking them and their mothers/parents, "What will you need to see from me for you to trust that I have yours and your child's best interests in mind?" One'd be amazed what one can learn just by asking. Just as the kids couldn't become great students and responsible individuals without my showing them and they sincerely following through on the input I gave them, I couldn't gain their trust without their showing me how to do so and in turn sincerely following their instructions.

That's how one creates "win-win" situations, which is a critical success factor in business. Trump should know that and know how to apply it to running for office, but I don't see any evidence of that. All I see is Trump telling everyone "stuff," but asking for their input on nothing, other than a vote.

Let's be real. There is absolutely NOTHING a non Democratic candidate could do to sway the majority of blacks. NOTHING.

IF 88% of ANY group consistently votes for one single party, especially a party that has done NOTHING of value for that group, there is something wrong with that group. That's just a fact.

As in..... middle American whites consistently voting for trickle-down economics that don't trickle down?

I suppose if you limit your comments to single issue voters, and accept your premise that "trickle down economics" haven't worked, you may have a point. BUT most people aren't single issue voters, So a party may have OTHER values that help those white middle class voters, so since we KNOW that economically the Democratic Party has utterly failed blacks as a whole over the last 40 years can you tell me which other Democratic policies do blacks feel SO strongly about that they are willing to vote Democratic despite the massive failures in such overwhelming numbers?

Dude. Progressive Democrats controlled BOTH Houses of Congress for 40 continuous years beginning in the 1930's. They also controlled the Presidency for the majority of that time. The net result of all of that "power to the people" legislation is the wealthiest 2% of the nations population went from controlling 76% of this nations wealth to controlling 90% of the wealth, while at the same time dropping down to the now famous "one percent".

Progressive policies made things worse, not better.

It's just a shame that some people allow others to portray them as inferior to explain away their faults.

It's plainly obvious that slavery was terrible. It is equally plainly obvious that no black person today was affected by slavery in any way, shape, or form.

Those who choose to do so have equal opportunity, and more importantly ABILITY , to succeed in life as anyone else.

This is weapons-grade ignorance.

Explain how a person today is affected by slavery. GO!

Dude. Progressive Democrats controlled BOTH Houses of Congress for 40 continuous years beginning in the 1930's. They also controlled the Presidency for the majority of that time. The net result of all of that "power to the people" legislation is the wealthiest 2% of the nations population went from controlling 76% of this nations wealth to controlling 90% of the wealth, while at the same time dropping down to the now famous "one percent".

And blacks were hurt the worst of all.

I really have to question at this point. Are these well intentioned people who just don't know any better, OR do they ulterior motives? Not the people IN power, we know they have ulterior motives, but just ordinary Americans who continuously vote Democrat. Do they not realize the damage Progressive polices have done?

I really have to question at this point. Are these well intentioned people who just don't know any better, OR do they ulterior motives? Not the people IN power, we know they have ulterior motives, but just ordinary Americans who continuously vote Democrat. Do they not realize the damage Progressive polices have done?

In most cases they don't. The propaganda machine is very adept at keeping people dumb and deaf, not to mention blind. Poor education is the beginning of that method. The youth today are taught what to think, not how to think. That is evident in all of these threads. And, when you present them with facts that refute what they have thought all of these years they ignore them. It is now a religious type faith that they have, that they are right and damn all evidence that says otherwise.

In most cases they don't. The propaganda machine is very adept at keeping people dumb and deaf, not to mention blind. Poor education is the beginning of that method. The youth today are taught what to think, not how to think. That is evident in all of these threads. And, when you present them with facts that refute what they have thought all of these years they ignore them. It is now a religious type faith that they have, that they are right and damn all evidence that says otherwise.
Sadly true. even in this the CDZ where one would think people wouldn't bother to come into unless they wanted REAL debate you find people who just flat out don't want to hear actual facts.

We get it. Democrats and liberals are responsible for all the ills of all people. Sheesh

Not all. Just most. Dude I'm a liberal Democrat. I love helping people and the government has a place in that. The problem is progressives want government to be the end all and be all of human life. This is a sort of thinking that is unfortunate because they invariably grab up all of the available resources and leave none to do beneficial work as they have to take care of the bureaucrats who are supposed to run the programs.

That's a complete straw-man argument. And the inefficiency argument goes double for private businesses, who more often than not are the ones contracting with the government, and wasting public money. I have zero confidence in the private sector, for example, to wholly handle necessary public services like health care and policing. There will be horrific inequality and inefficiency, and this has been proven in many countries in South America where we sent in specially trained capitalists to de-nationalize every aspect of govt industry, to horrifying results.

You got part of it correct. The government contracts with private companies who just happen to be friends of theirs. Remember Solyndra? Half a billion dollars of taxpayer money went right into the pockets of friends of obama and Nancy Pelosi. Her son in law I believe it was was a major investor. Funny how the People of the US get screwed, but the politicians and their friends never seem to lose.

I wonder why that is?

Solyndra is not an example of what I'm talking about. I'm discussing the federal government contracting out GOVERNMENT WORKS to private agencies. Like fighting wars, policing communities, and other traditional government roles.

Solyndra was given a grant to continue its private sector work. That's not the same thing. And plenty of green companies succeeded while you and other rightwingers beat the Solyndra drum to death for 7 years.

Name a single green company that has managed to survive without massive amounts of taxpayer support.

So you don't want to talk about the real issue? You just want to beat to death a 2009 talking point from Fox News?

Why does the black community need 228 year and the Hispanics need only 84 years? Who are helping the Hispanics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racism is quite a bit easier when you can easily spot the group you're trying to marginalize.

So you don't want to answer the question, then you don't want the solution. There are reasons for the disparity between blacks and Hispanics. We want to solve a problem we need to take a deep look as to why, not brush it off. Thanks for posing the issue then revert to stupidity.

The racial politics and history of blacks/Hispanics in this country are very divergent. If you want me to educate you on the issue, I can. But 9th grade civics should've handled it.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone more off-base.

Democrats support affirmative action and other policies to give minorities a leg up because they recognize that these people have potential to offer our country, and it's been untapped because of systemic historical discrimination and ongoing racism.

It's Republicans who think that there was no policy in the past that puts blacks/Hispanics/etc. at a disadvantage today. They think the impact of slavery and Jim Crow today is cured. If you think that, the only conclusion you CAN come to is that you believe the races are genetically inferior.

I suppose if you limit your comments to single issue voters, and accept your premise that "trickle down economics" haven't worked, you may have a point. BUT most people aren't single issue voters, So a party may have OTHER values that help those white middle class voters, so since we KNOW that economically the Democratic Party has utterly failed blacks as a whole over the last 40 years can you tell me which other Democratic policies do blacks feel SO strongly about that they are willing to vote Democratic despite the massive failures in such overwhelming numbers?

The economy isn't a "single issue." It's THE issue.

This is weapons-grade ignorance.

Explain how a person today is affected by slavery. GO!

Same way you can explain how some people in parts of the South have plantations that have been in their family for 200 years.

One is entitled to one's informed opinion. One is not entitled to one's own facts.
-- Harlan Ellison & Daniel Patrick Moynihan (paraphrased)​

Progressive Democrats controlled BOTH Houses of Congress for 40 continuous years beginning in the 1930's.

Not factually accurate:

(click the image to access its source)​

Progressive Democrats controlled BOTH Houses of Congress for 40 continuous years beginning in the 1930's.

Not factually accurate. Progressive Democrats didn't exist until 2004. There were two political parties called the Progressive Party (one was nicknamed the Bull Moose Party), but neither of them is the Progressive Democrats.

Off Topic:
What is it with this forum, with current politicians, and with a host of other folks who manage to find a voice these days and for whom merely checking their own assumptions/"facts" before uttering them is something they just don't do. People just think/believe whatever they want to think /believe and put it out there as though the mere fact that it's what they think/believe is enough to make it be true. And then when someone tells them they are mistaken, they become furious, defensive, vulgar, indignant, etc. in response.

The remarks above are but one illustration of the trend of having no regard whatsoever for the truth, for facts. And it is a trend because it happens in public discourse far to often and with regard to easily verifiable facts to merely be simple misstatements.

Additionally, it's as though there is this strange schism going on in the hearts and minds of folks who share their ideas. On one hand, they exhibit great amounts of pride in their taking umbrage at being rebutted or shown their error, yet on the other, they don't display enough worldly pride (aka the virtue of diligence) to simply fact check themselves before making their remarks. It's as though folks are more interested in taking pride in their ability to defend their remarks and ideas than they are in adopting and sharing accurate/cogent facts/ideas from the get-go.

Last edited:

Democrats support affirmative action and other policies to give minorities a leg up because they recognize that these people have potential to offer our country, and it's been untapped because of systemic historical discrimination and ongoing racism.

It's Republicans who think that there was no policy in the past that puts blacks/Hispanics/etc. at a disadvantage today. They think the impact of slavery and Jim Crow today is cured. If you think that, the only conclusion you CAN come to is that you believe the races are genetically inferior.

Of course there are conservatives who believe blacks are inferior. But that has nothing to do with the fact that those of us who are saying "look at the way Democratic policies have absolutely failed blacks for 50 years now " You can't argue that point though, it's plainly obvious that Democratic policies have FAILED blacks, so you must instead resort to ad hom attack to cover up your own weak argument.

Gary, name a Democratic policy over the last 50 years that you claim has improved black lives and then show us stats that prove your claim.

Of course there are conservatives who believe blacks are inferior. But that has nothing to do with the fact that those of us who are saying "look at the way Democratic policies have absolutely failed blacks for 50 years now " You can't argue that point though, it's plainly obvious that Democratic policies have FAILED blacks, so you must instead resort to ad hom attack to cover up your own weak argument.

Gary, name a Democratic policy over the last 50 years that you claim has improved black lives and then show us stats that prove your claim.

Why do you hone in on "Democratic policies" as if they exist in a vacuum to affect blacks alone? The truth is that we have had Republicans in Congress and the executive and the judicial branch who have undermined democratic policies and pushed us further right, particularly in the past 30 years. A "progressive" policy was not put forth by Clinton in 1996 to create mandatory minimum sentences in federal prison, it was a handout to the Republican Revolution that demanded law and order, and thereby destroyed the futures of millions of black men and their children in ghettos throughout the nation.

Most of the blacks in the U.S. lived in the South, where they had ZERO control over their political fate. It's not even debatable that the white power structure in the south -- up until 1965 -- prohibited blacks from voting. Period. Please explain how the "Democratic Policy" of Civil Rights and Voting Rights in 1964 and 1965 would've put the (already desperately poor and disenfranchised blacks) in a position of being poor and disenfranchised?

Nah, never mind, you can't. Because you're wrong. Since the Great Society and Civil Rights in the 60s, black poverty has been on the decline.

PovRace.gif

Moreover, in 1973, Nixon declared a "war on drugs" and it was well known that blacks would be disproportionately affected by this "war". Any reasonable expert today will tell you that the war was a political and social failure, and has created the world's largest underclass of imprisoned people while providing zero assistance to the families left behind.

"Progressive" policies aren't responsible for any blight in black neighborhoods that you see. You're simply off base, and wrong. Again.

Why do you hone in on "Democratic policies" as if they exist in a vacuum to affect blacks alone? The truth is that we have had Republicans in Congress and the executive and the judicial branch who have undermined democratic policies and pushed us further right, particularly in the past 30 years. A "progressive" policy was not put forth by Clinton in 1996 to create mandatory minimum sentences in federal prison, it was a handout to the Republican Revolution that demanded law and order, and thereby destroyed the futures of millions of black men and their children in ghettos throughout the nation.

Most of the blacks in the U.S. lived in the South, where they had ZERO control over their political fate. It's not even debatable that the white power structure in the south -- up until 1965 -- prohibited blacks from voting. Period. Please explain how the "Democratic Policy" of Civil Rights and Voting Rights in 1964 and 1965 would've put the (already desperately poor and disenfranchised blacks) in a position of being poor and disenfranchised?

Nah, never mind, you can't. Because you're wrong. Since the Great Society and Civil Rights in the 60s, black poverty has been on the decline.

PovRace.gif

Moreover, in 1973, Nixon declared a "war on drugs" and it was well known that blacks would be disproportionately affected by this "war". Any reasonable expert today will tell you that the war was a political and social failure, and has created the world's largest underclass of imprisoned people while providing zero assistance to the families left behind.

"Progressive" policies aren't responsible for any blight in black neighborhoods that you see. You're simply off base, and wrong. Again.

I hone in on Democratic policies because those are the ones I'm asking you to defend. You bring up the war on drugs, Hell fire man, I was involved in the war on drugs in terms of it was my job , and I agree, it was a stupid waste of money and effort and didn't help anyone.

I'm asking you SPECIFICALLY about Democratic ideas. The war on poverty. Tell me one thing about it that actually helped black people.

You can't so of course you will move the goal posts , again.

PovRace.gif

I hone in on Democratic policies because those are the ones I'm asking you to defend. You bring up the war on drugs, Hell fire man, I was involved in the war on drugs in terms of it was my job , and I agree, it was a stupid waste of money and effort and didn't help anyone.

I'm asking you SPECIFICALLY about Democratic ideas. The war on poverty. Tell me one thing about it that actually helped black people.

You can't so of course you will move the goal posts , again.

Wait, what?

I just described a whole series of legislation that demonstrably and dramatically decreased black poverty (with a f&*^ing graph for crissakes). xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back