A Conservative's view on waterboarding

I am saying, Valerie, that if hundreds or thousands of innocent lives are at stake and time is of the essence, I don't think we can be too picky about what they do to a terrorist to get the information necessary to stop those deaths from happening.

I think intellectual honesty requires that we at least look at that.

It's all well and good to say that honorable people stand on principle and that Christians would not violate their principles no matter what. But what about a principle of savings hundreds or thousands of innocent lives and doing whatever is necessary to do that?

It's sort of the principle involved in dropping the Atomic bomb. Is it justifiable to kill tens of thousands to save millions? That was the choice our leaders were up against at that time.

Was the secret service agent justified in shooting off that toe? It's a question everybody is determinably avoiding isn't it. :)

It is the situation that probably resulted in the directive to the Navy Seals to shoot on sight. Unlike the Nazi leaders in Germany, we were dealing with a person who was plotting and who was capable of causing thousands of more deaths to innocents in the USA and elsewhere. Was it necessary to shoot him? I don't know. I can't celebrate that, but I also can't find it in my heart to feel real bad about the fact they did.

Intellectual honesty requires that all this be included in the debate.

intellectual honesty requires that one not claim that any of the intel that helped get osama bin laden came from torture.

the only thing that indicates that is spin from cheney rummy and company saying that the program "may" have resulted in information.

perhaps listening to facts and not their spin might be helpful. john mccain made that pretty clear yesterday, i'd think.

you either are for or agin... there can't be a middle ground because like being pregnant, there's not really any such thing as being a little bit tortured.

May 14--the Telegraph:
Leon Panetta, the CIA director, has confirmed that controversial "enhanced interrogation techniques" such as waterboarding yielded some of the intelligence information that ultimately led to Osama bin Laden.
Osama bin Laden killed: CIA admits waterboarding yielded vital information - Telegraph

And he confirmed it on national television in an NBC Tonight interview.

There certainly are degrees of pain, injury, maiming, permanent effects. Again it should be part of the debate as to whether that which does not produce intense pain, injury, maiming, or permanent effect is 'torture'. Don't you think it trivializes what is really torture to throw a little discomfort, inconvenience, non-harmful deprivation, humiliation, embarrassment, etc. into the same pot as the horrible things that were done to John McCain and say it is all torture? That there is no difference?

It is much the same illogic as saying the guys putting a calendar pinup in their office cubicle is 'sexual harrassment' to the same degree as the boss requiring sexual favors from employees or they will not receive a raise, or promotion, and/or keep their job.

Again I have never and will not agree that enhanced interrogation should be the policy or practice of our country. And any person who intentionally uses such practices to find out whether somebody knows anything or to embarrass or humiliate people should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

But there is that time that choices must be made when there are innocent lives at stake that the policy no longer works. And I think it is really foolish and short sighted not to acknowledge or at least be willing to include that in the debate.

Was the Secret Service agent wrong to shoot off that toe and thereby save an innocent life? So far none of you who seem to be reluctant to actually debate this issue have been willing to comment on that.

Last edited:
No, not torture. Rather solution!

We need to bring waterboarding back. I don't think the Army Field Manuel, Miranda Rights and a cigarette is going to bring forth much information from a terrorist suspect.

We need to bring waterboarding back. I don't think the Army Field Manuel, Miranda Rights and a cigarette is going to bring forth much information from a terrorist suspect.

I don't want them waterboarding anybody just to find out IF they might know something though. I think that is wrong. And unacceptable.

I don't want them waterboarding anybody just to find out IF they might know something though. I think that is wrong. And unacceptable.

Well sure. I almost put that. Thought it might be correctly inferred, however...Wrong!!!:lol:

It should always be a tool in the box to be used against HVO's who are most definitely leadership, planners, and financiers......Those entities are the ones who will undoubtedly have the info we seek.

Last edited:
It should always be a tool in the box to be used against HVO's who are most definitely leadership, planners, and finaciers......Those entities are the ones who will undoubtedly have the info we seek.
Albeit wrong.

Not to mention any evidence gained by torture will be thrown out at trial.

It should always be a tool in the box to be used against HVO's who are most definitely leadership, planners, and finaciers......Those entities are the ones who will undoubtedly have the info we seek.

It doesn't even have to be an official tool. But again, when it is the lives of innocent citizens on the line, I think we have to understand that sometimes being merciful is the most cruel and wrong choice.

It doesn't even have to be an official tool. But again, when it is the lives of innocent citizens on the line, I think we have to understand that sometimes being merciful is the most cruel and wrong choice.

One of the first things one must understand is human nature and how it can be manipulated in these events especially when the lives of others are at stake.

And what IS the first rule of our government? Defend Liberty...Life, Liberty, Persuit...

And I might bring in a Fictional ROLE of Hollywood [Star Trek] and a 'Vulcan' Axiom: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the FEW or the ONE..." in this instance is appropo when saving lives.

Yes I know it may portend to kick the individual's rights, right in the crotch...but it would be right in line into Government's role IF it saves individuals en masse.

I like those protesters who demonstrate water boarding in the streets of America. Those idiots are so funny. Hey when do you think they will start putting some bamboo shoots under their finger nails? Maybe break some bones? Maybe electrocute their own testies? Gee, I wonder why they never do those things? Because that is real torture. I do not condone those things. But waterboarding? Come on you pvssies.

We have water boarded 3 terrorists. We have water boarded 1000s of our own military as patrt of training. Your all soft!!!

I agree with John McCain when he said that prisoners being tortured, enhanced interrogation will say anything to stop it. I take him at his word since he is the only Senator with first hand experience.

I heard an interview with an FBI interrogator not long ago. He said when you use extreme methods to get information in interviews you sometimes get good information but also you get a lot of bad information which makes the good information suspect. There are just a lot better methods of interrogating than torture.

What most people thoroughly fail to understand, is that this is not conventional war, or a conventional enemy.......These are people that won't be held and then released to go home after the war is over to rebuild their lives and country after a peace agreement has been signed......These are batshit crazy idealogues, who have bastardized a religion to suit their twisted ideals......They are crazy as all get out, but far from stupid. They are not going to quit, they are not going to go away. No matter how we treat them.........THEY......DON'T......CARE!

I am saying, Valerie, that if hundreds or thousands of innocent lives are at stake and time is of the essence, I don't think we can be too picky about what they do to a terrorist to get the information necessary to stop those deaths from happening.

I think intellectual honesty requires that we at least look at that.

It's all well and good to say that honorable people stand on principle and that Christians would not violate their principles no matter what. But what about a principle of savings hundreds or thousands of innocent lives and doing whatever is necessary to do that?

It's sort of the principle involved in dropping the Atomic bomb. Is it justifiable to kill tens of thousands to save millions? That was the choice our leaders were up against at that time.

Was the secret service agent justified in shooting off that toe? It's a question everybody is determinably avoiding isn't it. :)

It is the situation that probably resulted in the directive to the Navy Seals to shoot on sight. Unlike the Nazi leaders in Germany, we were dealing with a person who was plotting and who was capable of causing thousands of more deaths to innocents in the USA and elsewhere. Was it necessary to shoot him? I don't know. I can't celebrate that, but I also can't find it in my heart to feel real bad about the fact they did.

Intellectual honesty requires that all this be included in the debate.

intellectual honesty requires that one not claim that any of the intel that helped get osama bin laden came from torture.

the only thing that indicates that is spin from cheney rummy and company saying that the program "may" have resulted in information.

perhaps listening to facts and not their spin might be helpful. john mccain made that pretty clear yesterday, i'd think.

you either are for or agin... there can't be a middle ground because like being pregnant, there's not really any such thing as being a little bit tortured.

CIA Chief Leon Panetta told NBC News on Tuesday that Intelligence garnered from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him.

CIA chief: Waterboarding aided bin Laden raid - World news - Death of bin Laden - msnbc.com

I agree with John McCain when he said that prisoners being tortured, enhanced interrogation will say anything to stop it. I take him at his word since he is the only Senator with first hand experience.

I heard an interview with an FBI interrogator not long ago. He said when you use extreme methods to get information in interviews you sometimes get good information but also you get a lot of bad information which makes the good information suspect. There are just a lot better methods of interrogating than torture.

That will serve McCain as well as his stance on Immigration...

One of the first things one must understand is human nature and how it can be manipulated in these events especially when the lives of others are at stake.

And what IS the first rule of our government? Defend Liberty...Life, Liberty, Persuit...

And I might bring in a Fictional ROLE of Hollywood [Star Trek] and a 'Vulcan' Axiom: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the FEW or the ONE..." in this instance is appropo when saving lives.

Yes I know it may portend to kick the individual's rights, right in the crotch...but it would be right in line into Government's role IF it saves individuals en masse.

I think it is a bit more complicated than that. The Founders took the view that the needs of the many do not outweight the unalienable rights of one person.

But the scenario in which the unalienable rights of the one are measured against the unalienable rights of the many--as would be the case of one with knowledge of an imminent terrorist attack--then I think we should expect our fearless leaders to choose the greater good.

It is that fundamental principle that I think some of our friends here simply will not acknowledge or deal with.

Was the secret service agent right to shoot off that toe? To say that there could never be such a scenario is ideological naivete at best.

I think it is a bit more complicated than that. The Founders took the view that the needs of the many do not outweight the unalienable rights of one person.

But the scenario in which the unalienable rights of the one are measured against the unalienable rights of the many--as would be the case of one with knowledge of an imminent terrorist attack--then I think we should expect our fearless leaders to choose the greater good.

It is that fundamental principle that I think some of our friends here simply will not acknowledge or deal with.

Was the secret service agent right to shoot off that toe? To say that there could never be such a scenario is ideological naivete at best.

One of the best answers I've read yet to my scenario...

Thank you. I would say this would be one of the most gut wrenching mental battles a good person will ever have to fight. Most especially when it tears at our most firmly held convictions and sense of right and wrong. But now is the time for the debate and not when a decision has to be made.

I agree with John McCain when he said that prisoners being tortured, enhanced interrogation will say anything to stop it.

Different interrogators receive different results. Different methods receive different results.

McRino is a liberal pundit, He was held capitive in a different time and place by ignorent savages. We do not practice their methods.

I agree with John McCain when he said that prisoners being tortured, enhanced interrogation will say anything to stop it.

Different interrogators receive different results. Different methods receive different results.

McRino is a liberal pundit, He was held capitive in a different time and place by ignorent savages. We do not practice their methods.

Exactly. And why McCain has a jaundiced view of it. SAD...but true. McCain is a PATRIOT as far as his war record...but it ceases there...

All the 'Bipartisanship' is codeword by the Media and politicians for CAPITULATION of individual principles...I don't NOW or evr buy into it. McCain Wallows in it...exudes it...he should have RETIRED a long time ago...

Last edited:

Thank you. I would say this would be one of the most gut wrenching mental battles a good person will ever have to fight. Most especially when it tears at our most firmly held convictions and sense of right and wrong. But now is the time for the debate and not when a decision has to be made.

Indeed. WE as a people that intend to survive in the arms of Liberty MUST make a decision...

As of yet, no one that has committed torture is willing to admit it or own up it. Instead they hide or deflect and say it wasn't torture.

IMO, they are not much better than terrorists.

Forum List

Back