A Dozen GOP Senators Dine With Obama While Rubio And Cruz Stand With Rand...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
So few Republicans stood with Rand Paul. The Old-Guard let us down again. But Kudos to those few who did stand up.

A dozen Republican senators, including John McCain (R-AZ), Bob Corker (R-TN), Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Ron Johnson (R-WI), chose to dine with President Obama at a Washington hotel Wednesday evening rather than join Senator Rand Paul on the Senate floor to provide him brief ten-minute question breaks during his historic filibuster.

Paul took the Senate floor at 11:17 am on Wednesday and held the floor for nearly thirteen hours. Republican Senators who stayed with Senator Paul and provided him short respites during his filibuster (under the Senate rules, a filibustering Senator may allow brief questions without yielding the floor) included Marco Rubio (R-FL), Ted Cruz (R-TX), and John Thune (R-SD).

The dozen GOP Senators who dined with Obama while Paul filibustered CIA Director nominee John Brennan in opposition to the unconstitutional authorization of drone killings of American citizens on American soil may have expressed a spirit of bipartisanship, yet the imagery and optics juxtaposing the two events could prove difficult to overcome.

Other senators who joined the dinner with Obama included Mike Johanns (R-NE), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Pat Toomey (R-PA), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), John Hoeven (R-ND), Dan Coats (R-IN), and Richard Burr (R-NC).

A Dozen GOP Senators #DineWithObama While Rubio and Cruz #StandWithRand

Things like this that are reported without answering the No. 1 question: WHY did the GOP Senators meet with the President?, drive me crazy. Yes, if it was to undermine their colleague Rand Paul, then it was despicable. If it was scheduled before the filibuster in order to work out the problems with budget, deficits, etc. then it is defensible. Do we know which is the case?

Things like this that are reported without answering the No. 1 question: WHY did the GOP Senators meet with the President?, drive me crazy. Yes, if it was to undermine their colleague Rand Paul, then it was despicable. If it was scheduled before the filibuster in order to work out the problems with budget, deficits, etc. then it is defensible. Do we know which is the case?

These are very dark days for the Republican Party. But there are few rays of light. Rand Paul and a few others really are trying to make a difference. Time for the Old-Guard to go.

And interestingly the contents of that dinner were sans any media coverage and there is a total information blackout on what the discussion was about? Very curious.

For Washington-watchers looking for positive signs from President Obama’s unusual dinner with Republican senators on Wednesday night, there was this: Senators John McCain of Arizona and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma each gave waiting reporters a thumbs up as lawmakers exited the private dining room.

Perhaps their gesture merely expressed gratitude that the president had picked up the tab – out of his own pocket – for the gathering he initiated at the tony Jefferson Hotel, just blocks from the White House and across Lafayette Park.

But given the near blackout on information and the security cordon surrounding the hotel, Washington will be digging for days for more substantive reports about what – if anything – the supper might mean for progress on the budget, immigration, gun safety or any other issue central to Mr. Obama’s second-term agenda
G.O.P. Senators Give Obama Dinner Thumbs Up - NYTimes.com

And interestingly the contents of that dinner were sans any media coverage and there is a total information blackout on what the discussion was about? Very curious.

For Washington-watchers looking for positive signs from President Obama’s unusual dinner with Republican senators on Wednesday night, there was this: Senators John McCain of Arizona and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma each gave waiting reporters a thumbs up as lawmakers exited the private dining room.

Perhaps their gesture merely expressed gratitude that the president had picked up the tab – out of his own pocket – for the gathering he initiated at the tony Jefferson Hotel, just blocks from the White House and across Lafayette Park.

But given the near blackout on information and the security cordon surrounding the hotel, Washington will be digging for days for more substantive reports about what – if anything – the supper might mean for progress on the budget, immigration, gun safety or any other issue central to Mr. Obama’s second-term agenda
G.O.P. Senators Give Obama Dinner Thumbs Up - NYTimes.com

I'm not interested in the slightest what their meeting was about. The joke's on us as usual. Nothing good will come of any of their meetings.

These are very dark days for the Republican Party. But there are few rays of light. Rand Paul and a few others really are trying to make a difference. Time for the Old-Guard to go.

Sen Lindsey Graham: there aren't enough "angry white guys" to bring Republicans to power:eusa_whistle:

Sen Lindsey Graham: there aren't enough "angry white guys" to bring Republicans to power:eusa_whistle:

Lindsey Graham represents the worst of the worst when it comes to the Old Guard. His time has passed.

It is a fact that not all the GOP senators approved of Sentator Rand's filibuster. John McCain is on the record that he was not and that his suggestion that the Administration intends to use drones to murder U.S. citizens without due process is simply absurd and false. That in fact would and probably is making an interesting debate.

The question remains that if McCain is right, why won't the Administration simply say that? So far it is mum.

And it still doesn't explain whether the meeting with the President was in competition with Senator Rand's filibuster, or the filibuster was scheduled after the dinner meeting was already set.

It is a fact that not all the GOP senators approved of Sentator Rand's filibuster. John McCain is on the record that he was not and that his suggestion that the Administration intends to use drones to murder U.S. citizens without due process is simply absurd and false. That in fact would and probably is making an interesting debate.

The question remains that if McCain is right, why won't the Administration simply say that? So far it is mum.

And it still doesn't explain whether the meeting with the President was in competition with Senator Rand's filibuster, or the filibuster was scheduled after the dinner meeting was already set.

Personally, i could care less. No good comes out of such secret meetings. They should have stood with Rand Paul instead.

and yet, Rand's filibuster managed to bring Holder to a second response, along with Carney:

Obama Administration Responds To Rand Paul On Drones | TPM LiveWire

So he was successful in finally getting the reponse to the question the filibuster was all about. Good for him. From your link:

. . . .The U.S. government cannot target an American citizen who is not engaged in combat on American soil, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Thursday during his daily press briefing. . . .

. . . .Appearing on CNN on Thursday afternoon, Paul declared that Holder's response was satisfactory and that he would allow a vote on Brennan's nomination.

"I'm quite happy with the answer and I'm disappointed it took a month and a half and a root canal to get it," Paul said. . . .

Personally, i could care less. No good comes out of such secret meetings. They should have stood with Rand Paul instead.

If they had already accepted an invidation to the dinner, they would be honor bound to attend. They didn't have to dis Paul or diminish his efforts in the process.

As for secret meetings, I am torn. I dislike secrecy too, but also know from my own experience that when outside observers are there and the media cameras are rolling, people are not nearly as likely to be open, honest, precise, and frank in their comments and it is far more difficult to work out differences and reach consensus.

For instance back when Cheney was meeting with oil company execs and others in the energy business, he also disallowed the press and casual observers purely for the reason that people could not speak their true convictions when the media was there to interpret or misinterpret what they said. Now admittedly out of that process and subsequently, we got an energy policy that mostly only the most flaming ardent fanatical liberal could love, there is room to debate whether those secret meetings were the best way to get the best information or not.

If they had already accepted an invidation to the dinner, they would be honor bound to attend. They didn't have to dis Paul or diminish his efforts in the process.

As for secret meetings, I am torn. I dislike secrecy too, but also know from my own experience that when outside observers are there and the media cameras are rolling, people are not nearly as likely to be open, honest, precise, and frank in their comments and it is far more difficult to work out differences and reach consensus.

For instance back when Cheney was meeting with oil company execs and others in the energy business, he also disallowed the press and casual observers purely for the reason that people could not speak their true convictions when the media was their to interpret or misinterpret what they said. Now admittedly out of that process and subsequently, we got an energy policy that mostly only the most flaming ardent fanatical liberal could love, there is room to debate whether those secret meetings were the best way to get the best information or not.

The 'media' hasn't done their job in years. No problem there.

For instance back when Cheney was meeting with oil company execs and others in the energy business, he also disallowed the press and casual observers purely for the reason that people could not speak their true convictions when the media was their to interpret or misinterpret what they said. Now admittedly out of that process and subsequently, we got an energy policy that mostly only the most flaming ardent fanatical liberal could love, there is room to debate whether those secret meetings were the best way to get the best information or not.

The 'media' hasn't done their job in years. No problem there.

The main problem is when you allow the media to pick and choose what will be reported and to cherry pick phrases in order to interpret what somebody said, the result is usually something different than what actually happened. So a mutual agreement to meet without the press so that everybody was at less risk by speaking freely. . . .I can see the rationale for that.

For instance back when Cheney was meeting with oil company execs and others in the energy business, he also disallowed the press and casual observers purely for the reason that people could not speak their true convictions when the media was there to interpret or misinterpret what they said. Now admittedly out of that process and subsequently, we got an energy policy that mostly only the most flaming ardent fanatical liberal could love, there is room to debate whether those secret meetings were the best way to get the best information or not.

Old Guard Republicans have been selling out for years. In my experience, nothing good comes of these secret 'compromise' meetings. The end-result is the Old Guard screwing us.

Old Guard Republicans have been selling out for years. In my experience, nothing good comes of these secret 'compromise' meetings. The end-result is the Old Guard screwing us.

I know that is your opinion as you keep saying.

But do you honestly think you haven't also been screwed by the Democratic left? That you haven't been screwed by the selective interpretations of stuff the media feeds us every day?

Who do you trust more to adopt the best policy? Those old guard Republicans or Barack Obama? Would you have been less critical if Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz had had a private meeting with the President?

And if you were in a position of leadership, who would you appeal to in order to arrive at a consensus compromise in a difficult issue? People you thought were willing to compromise? Or those who are on record as disapproving of everything you do and unwilling to give an inch?

It's all relative.

But do you honestly think you haven't also been screwed by the Democratic left? That you haven't been screwed by the selective interpretations of stuff the media feeds us every day?

Who do you trust more to adopt the best policy? Those old guard Republicans or Barack Obama? Would you have been less critical if Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz had had a private meeting with the President?

And if you were in a position of leadership, who would you appeal to in order to arrive at a consensus compromise in a difficult issue? People you thought were willing to compromise? Or those who are on record as disapproving of everything you do and unwilling to give an inch?

It's all relative.

Done with the Old Guard compromises. Sorry to be so blunt, but screw em. It's time for them to go. Enough is enough.

Think there are enough "angry communists" like you, to put the white guys in death camps yet?

The dream is genocide, dream the dream, comrade.

It's all relative.

Done with the Old Guard compromises. Sorry to be so blunt, but screw em. It's time for them to go. Enough is enough.

Perhaps so, but unfortunately you have to convince a majority of the voters in each of their states that they need to go in order to get rid of them. And whatever their contituents think about them, we have the Senate we have until at least 2015 at which time only 1/3rd of them can be replaced. And we have the President that we have until 2017.

Our only hope is to so inform, educate, and change the minds and hearts of the people that they will rise up and demand and achieve real change for the better. We won't do that by giving an angry finger to whatever they do without hearing their side of the story first. And nobody's mind was ever changed by somebody who insulted them or told them they were going to hell.

Forum List

Back