A New Energy/Global Warming Controversy?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

It's called "Methane hydrate", its global supply supposedly dwarfs that of all other fossil fuels combined, it could be the ultimate energy game-changer for America, and those on the man-made global warming side may want to get ready:

Methane hydrates ? bigger than shale gas, ?game over? for the environment? | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network
Bill Chameides: Methane Hydrates: The Next Natural Gas Boom?

methane-hydrate-inventory-map.jpg

I don't see where this would be any more of an environmental concern than regular natural gas, oil or digging up the tar sands. Methane is always a byproduct of exploration and consumption of fossil fuels and it can be captured.

I've read that the Japanese are serious about this.

Yep.

Looking at that map (and based on the fact that most of this stuff is under ice), you have to wonder how the US, Russia and China would look at Antarctica, and whether that would cause some kind of territory dispute.

Remember a few years ago when Russia sent a sub out to plant their flag on the bottom of the Arctic Sea to claim it for themselves? Remember how everybody laughed?

We may not be laughing much longer.

I've read that the Japanese are serious about this.

Yep.

Looking at that map (and based on the fact that most of this stuff is under ice), you have to wonder how the US, Russia and China would look at Antarctica, and whether that would cause some kind of territory dispute.

Remember a few years ago when Russia sent a sub out to plant their flag on the bottom of the Arctic Sea to claim it for themselves? Remember how everybody laughed?

Sure do, that's what was making me wonder.

Neither Russia nor China would let the man-made global warming debate slow them down, even for a minute, they'll go after whatever helps them.

Last edited:
Yep.

Sure do, that's what was making me wonder.

Neither Russia nor China would let the man-made global warming debate slow them down, even for a minute, they'll go after whatever helps them.

Yep, and we'll lag behind, crushed under boogeymen stories about climate change.

Forum List

Back