A Question About The Crucifixion

Steven_R

Tommy Vercetti Fan Club
Jul 17, 2013
From my recollection when Jesus was crucified, when he died, the world was shrouded in darkness. However, astronomers in China and the Americas recorded no such event (nor did chroniclers in Rome or Judea). So if the event actually happened, why didn't it show up anywhere else?

In Luke 23:44-46 there is the record of darkness falling upon the land during Christ's crucifixion. "And it was now about the sixth hour, and darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour, the sun being obscured; and the veil of the temple was torn in two. And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, 'Father, into Thy hands I commit My spirit.' And having said this, He breathed His last." Is there any non-biblical evidence of the day of darkness mentioned at Christ's death? The answer is yes, there is.

"Circa AD 52, Thallus wrote a history of the Eastern Mediterranean world from the Trojan War to his own time. This work itself has been lost and only fragments of it exist in the citations of others. One such scholar who knew and spoke of it was Julius Africanus, who wrote about AD 221. In speaking of Jesuscrucifixion and the darkness that covered the land during this event, Africanus found a reference in the writings of Thallus that dealt with this cosmic report. Africanus asserts: 'On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.'"1

One might wonder why other historians of the time did not also mention the darkness. First of all, the darkness was localized, so it would not be a widespread phenomena that other historians would naturally record. Second, other historians like Pliny, Tacitus, and Josephus generally were focusing on events that could be verified and were not based in the miraculous. The fact that Thallus mentions the darkness tells us that something did happen, and that there is extrabiblical citation for the event.

Is There Non-Biblical Evidence of a Day of Darkness at Christ s Death Luke 23 44-46 Historians

Crucifixion was very common at that time. Its likely no one even noticed any one in particular.

In Luke 23:44-46 there is the record of darkness falling upon the land during Christ's crucifixion. "And it was now about the sixth hour, and darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour, the sun being obscured; and the veil of the temple was torn in two. And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, 'Father, into Thy hands I commit My spirit.' And having said this, He breathed His last." Is there any non-biblical evidence of the day of darkness mentioned at Christ's death? The answer is yes, there is.

"Circa AD 52, Thallus wrote a history of the Eastern Mediterranean world from the Trojan War to his own time. This work itself has been lost and only fragments of it exist in the citations of others. One such scholar who knew and spoke of it was Julius Africanus, who wrote about AD 221. In speaking of Jesuscrucifixion and the darkness that covered the land during this event, Africanus found a reference in the writings of Thallus that dealt with this cosmic report. Africanus asserts: 'On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.'"1

One might wonder why other historians of the time did not also mention the darkness. First of all, the darkness was localized, so it would not be a widespread phenomena that other historians would naturally record. Second, other historians like Pliny, Tacitus, and Josephus generally were focusing on events that could be verified and were not based in the miraculous. The fact that Thallus mentions the darkness tells us that something did happen, and that there is extrabiblical citation for the event.

Is There Non-Biblical Evidence of a Day of Darkness at Christ s Death Luke 23 44-46 Historians
"The fact that Thallus mentions the darkness tells us that something did happen, and that there is extrabiblical citation for the event."

Umm... sorry but Thallus did NOT mention any event. Some guy named Africanus 200 years later mentioned it. So a guy, 1800 years ago, wrote about a passage, which he read about in a book that is lost to history, that maybe might have been talking about Jesus... PROOF!!! :laugh:

"The fact that Thallus mentions the darkness tells us that something did happen, and that there is extrabiblical citation for the event."

Umm... sorry but Thallus did NOT mention any event. Some guy named Africanus 200 years later mentioned it. So a guy, 1800 years ago, wrote about a passage, which he read about in a book that is lost to history, that maybe might have been talking about Jesus... PROOF!!! :laugh:

That's what I was thinking as well and didn't care enough to research it.

Most of this "history" was made up long after the fact. For the most part, its fiction.

So Jesus died for everyone, but the darkness associated with the event was only seen in Jerusalem and was barely noted at the time?

I'm a doubter, but even for believers, does that make sense?

So Jesus died for everyone, but the darkness associated with the event was only seen in Jerusalem and was barely noted at the time?

Are you serious?

These are people who believe in talking snakes, burning bushes, women turned to salt, not to mention a massive world flood that killed the entire planet's population - the whim of a temper tantrum!

Sassy,
that description of darkness and spearing event along with Jesus claiming he was Baal's son the morning star-rev22;16
Matches that of the morning stars fall in Isaiah 14:12-17.
The verse Christians use describing Lucifer aka the morning star.
Fact: prophecy has many facits/layers those being
1) the historical description, because the Sages knew to see emulations in behavior, events, and power hungry leaders to predict future probable emulations and resemblances=prophecy.
Sure Isaiah is describing king Nebuchadnezzar, however the admitted emulator Saddam said so himself that he was emulating the Babylonian king trying to bring Babylon to it's amcient glory.
So thst is 2) the future emulation prophecy fulfilled because Isaiah14 is also describing Saddams fall, his dishevelled unrecognizable appearance and his being found in a pit. In fact I was the only one to notice and point out that the daye he was found coincided exactly with the verse. Remember in that oart of the world days come before months so 14/12 is the 14th of Dec the day he was captured in his pit.
But prophecy also has a third layer, the spiritual emulation warning, that being the description of the fall of Lucifer Jesus, the image of a msn that Rome created to deceive the world into worshiping Baal and falling for the ole baal harvest seed scam that you see on every single televangelist broadcadt today especially running every show on TBN.

jebel-usdum-lots-wife-pillar-of-salt.jpg

Record from America at the time:

"And it came to pass that when the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the storm, and the tempest, and the quakings of the earth did cease—for behold, they did last for about the space of three hours; and it was said by some that the time was greater; nevertheless, all these great and terrible things were done in about the space of three hours—and then behold, there was darkness upon the face of the land.

20 And it came to pass that there was thick darkness upon all the face of the land, insomuch that the inhabitants thereof who had not fallen could feel thevapor of darkness;

21 And there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;

22 And there was not any light seen, neither fire, nor glimmer, neither the sun, nor the moon, nor the stars, for so great were the mists of darkness which were upon the face of the land.

23 And it came to pass that it did last for the space of three days that there was no light seen; and there was great mourning and howling and weeping among all the people continually; yea, great were the groanings of the people, because of the darkness and the great destruction which had come upon them. (3 Nephi 8:19-23)

Record from America at the time:

"And it came to pass that when the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the storm, and the tempest, and the quakings of the earth did cease—for behold, they did last for about the space of three hours; and it was said by some that the time was greater; nevertheless, all these great and terrible things were done in about the space of three hours—and then behold, there was darkness upon the face of the land.

20 And it came to pass that there was thick darkness upon all the face of the land, insomuch that the inhabitants thereof who had not fallen could feel thevapor of darkness;

21 And there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;

22 And there was not any light seen, neither fire, nor glimmer, neither the sun, nor the moon, nor the stars, for so great were the mists of darkness which were upon the face of the land.

23 And it came to pass that it did last for the space of three days that there was no light seen; and there was great mourning and howling and weeping among all the people continually; yea, great were the groanings of the people, because of the darkness and the great destruction which had come upon them. (3 Nephi 8:19-23)
200.gif

Yes, if you look at it properly. The account of the darkness is found in the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew,and Luke). Matthew and Luke almost certainly copied it from Mark (Matthew in fact quotes the Mark account nearly verbatim). Mark was written 30 years or so after the death of Jesus and probably based largely upon oral tradition. When things like that occur in the Bible there are five possible explanations

a) The event happened and was divinely inspired by God

b) The event happened as a natural phenomenon by some coincidence

c) The event did not happen and the author is using metaphoric symbolism

d) The event did not happen but was added in oral tradition to enhance the story

e) A similar event took place that was exaggerated over time

In reference to the darkness I would make the following points:

- astronomers could very easily use computer models to determine whether there was an eclipse in Judea around the time when Jesus died. I have never looked, myself. As a Christian it's not something I feel is terribly important. Besides, eclipses don't last three hours so if one did occur it would fit the explanation of e better than b.

-It's hard to imagine a three hour period of darkness being symbolic of anything. I could see "Jesus died and the world slipped into darkness" meaning the 'light of the world has been taken away', or 'hope has been lost' or something poetic and symbolic like that. But one that only last for three hours is tough for my to find symbolism in. Three is a very important number in the Bible and is used a lot of ways, but it doesn't mesh well with its traditional symbolic use in this account.

- With doubt cast on a natural phenomenon, little to no historical accounting of the event, and difficult symbolic meaning, the most likely scenario is that the event was added through oral tradition and recorded by the author of Mark when he wrote his gospel. The authors of Matthew and Luke copied the account and (at least in the case of Matthew) added to it to make it even more spectacular and more representative of the apocalyptic nature of early Christian doctrine.

Easy enough thing to fact-check. Most astronomical computer programs can go backwards in time millenia to confirm dates of eclipses which this story is describing. While a 3 hour solar eclipse seems excessively long, most being only a few minutes (as the rotation of the rearth moves the shadow elsewhere on earth,) if it happened it'd be in these programs.

"The Gospel of Luke account appears to describe the event as an eclipse, and some non-Christian writers dismissed it in these terms. However, the biblical details do not accord with an eclipse: a solar eclipse could not have occurred on or near the Passover, when Jesus was crucified, and would have been too brief to account for three hours of darkness. The maximum possible duration of a total solar eclipse is seven minutes and 31.1 seconds.[35] A total eclipse on 24 November 29 CE was visible slightly north of Jerusalem at 11:05 AM.[36] The period of totality in Nazareth and Galilee was one minute and forty-nine seconds, and the level of darkness would have been unnoticeable for people outdoors."
Crucifixion darkness - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

As with most religious things, you either take it on faith or ya don't.

"The Gospel of Luke account appears to describe the event as an eclipse, and some non-Christian writers dismissed it in these terms. However, the biblical details do not accord with an eclipse: a solar eclipse could not have occurred on or near the Passover, when Jesus was crucified, and would have been too brief to account for three hours of darkness. The maximum possible duration of a total solar eclipse is seven minutes and 31.1 seconds.[35] A total eclipse on 24 November 29 CE was visible slightly north of Jerusalem at 11:05 AM.[36] The period of totality in Nazareth and Galilee was one minute and forty-nine seconds, and the level of darkness would have been unnoticeable for people outdoors."

Well I generally don't take Wiki as a very reliable source, but because my interest is now piqued I looked at the NASA database (which can be found here Catalog of Solar Eclipses 0001 to 0100) and the only one I found that comes close to matching the time frame and the area is this one (NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 29 November 24) but the epicenter is nowhere near Jerusalem. The shadow does move in the general vicinity, but boy it would be slight if even noticeable.

I think the best case scenario to argue for a historical event would be to suggest that stories of an eclipse that hit the Arabian Peninsula and the crucifixion account were linked together through oral tradition, exaggerated, and eventually recorded by the author of Mark as occurring simultaneously at Jerusalem when, in fact, they didn't. The Mark account was later copied by the authors of Matthew and Luke, and in the case of Matthew exaggerated again or perhaps linked to a separate tectonic event that also took place somewhere else at a completely different time and was again spliced into the story. That would actually fit very well with how stories developed through oral tradition in ancient times. That's the best case that I think can be made.

Or you can believe it was a divinely inspired event.

Yes, if you look at it properly. The account of the darkness is found in the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew,and Luke). Matthew and Luke almost certainly copied it from Mark (Matthew in fact quotes the Mark account nearly verbatim). Mark was written 30 years or so after the death of Jesus and probably based largely upon oral tradition. When things like that occur in the Bible there are five possible explanations

a) The event happened and was divinely inspired by God

b) The event happened as a natural phenomenon by some coincidence

c) The event did not happen and the author is using metaphoric symbolism

d) The event did not happen but was added in oral tradition to enhance the story

e) A similar event took place that was exaggerated over time

In reference to the darkness I would make the following points:

- astronomers could very easily use computer models to determine whether there was an eclipse in Judea around the time when Jesus died. I have never looked, myself. As a Christian it's not something I feel is terribly important. Besides, eclipses don't last three hours so if one did occur it would fit the explanation of e better than b.

-It's hard to imagine a three hour period of darkness being symbolic of anything. I could see "Jesus died and the world slipped into darkness" meaning the 'light of the world has been taken away', or 'hope has been lost' or something poetic and symbolic like that. But one that only last for three hours is tough for my to find symbolism in. Three is a very important number in the Bible and is used a lot of ways, but it doesn't mesh well with its traditional symbolic use in this account.

- With doubt cast on a natural phenomenon, little to no historical accounting of the event, and difficult symbolic meaning, the most likely scenario is that the event was added through oral tradition and recorded by the author of Mark when he wrote his gospel. The authors of Matthew and Luke copied the account and (at least in the case of Matthew) added to it to make it even more spectacular and more representative of the apocalyptic nature of early Christian doctrine.

Yes. Of the three you mention, I lean towards c (metaphor); and/or e (exaggeration of a cloudy day).

Perhaps Mark had Isaiah 60:2 in mind:

For behold, darkness will cover the earth And deep darkness the peoples; But the Lord will rise upon you and His glory will appear upon you.

Well I generally don't take Wiki as a very reliable source, but because my interest is now piqued I looked at the NASA database (which can be found here Catalog of Solar Eclipses 0001 to 0100) and the only one I found that comes close to matching the time frame and the area is this one (NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 29 November 24) but the epicenter is nowhere near Jerusalem. The shadow does move in the general vicinity, but boy it would be slight if even noticeable.

I think the best case scenario to argue for a historical event would be to suggest that stories of an eclipse that hit the Arabian Peninsula and the crucifixion account were linked together through oral tradition, exaggerated, and eventually recorded by the author of Mark as occurring simultaneously at Jerusalem when, in fact, they didn't. The Mark account was later copied by the authors of Matthew and Luke, and in the case of Matthew exaggerated again or perhaps linked to a separate tectonic event that also took place somewhere else at a completely different time and was again spliced into the story. That would actually fit very well with how stories developed through oral tradition in ancient times. That's the best case that I think can be made.

Or you can believe it was a divinely inspired event.

Wiki isn't the source but the compiler of the source(s) like Drudge isn't the source of news but compiles various conservative sources in one place.

Forum List

Back