A Question for tbe Faithful..... WHY?

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
In 2001, after the death of my father, my faith in what I had been taught to believe about God and this world was completely shattered. I spent almost three years talking to clergy members from a wide variety of faiths and simply asking them one question..... WHY? Not Why did he die? Or why do we all die? Just WHY?

I never got an answer that really satisfied my inquiry. Some chose not to answer at all. Others to play word games. Still others had a ball of Theological mush to give me. None of it made any sense to me.

So I have a question for all the believers here, regardless of faith or agnosticism..... WHY? Feel free to answer the question in whatever way you feel most appropriate, but let's please try to keep this civil and on topic. Thanks.

In 2001, after the death of my father, my faith in what I had been taught to believe about God and this world was completely shattered. I spent almost three years talking to clergy members from a wide variety of faiths and simply asking them one question..... WHY? Not Why did he die? Or why do we all die? Just WHY?

I never got an answer that really satisfied my inquiry. Some chose not to answer at all. Others to play word games. Still others had a ball of Theological mush to give me. None of it made any sense to me.

So I have a question for all the believers here, regardless of faith or agnosticism..... WHY? Feel free to answer the question in whatever way you feel most appropriate, but let's please try to keep this civil and on topic. Thanks.

Why?

I believe life is a lesson and once we have learned what is needed is when we will pass on to the next realm...

God is good, and the right question is what follows after that? Undoubtly something better than you had before.

Everyone has to die.
We all have an appointed time.
It's part of God's play which we will not understand completely until we are done with this life.

If you don't believe it God, it's just random and there is no reason.

Every even causes a chain reaction.
The results are not always immediate.
Your father's death may have caused someone to turn to God instead of AWAY from God
Maybe not you, but maybe others.
God nor the universe owes you any explanations. You must learn to deal with your own sufferings with grace, and not in bitterness or anger.

Death is part of life
People take it too damn seriously

December 2013: Within days of each other I lost my best friend. My dad. Two aunts.

I understand what is physical, corporeal must die. I understand we are also made up of spirit, and that spirit is eternal. My "Why" question is more specific. Being composed of body and spirit, why can't our spirits communicate with people whose bodies have died? Probably because we need our focus to be in the here and now.

As far as your WHY. The best answer I've ever read appeared in Richard Bach's Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah. The answer to WHY is: To learn and to have fun. Everything else branches out from those two answers.

Perhaps the only difference between having one loved one die at a time and four dying all at once is that when it is one at a time, at least you know who your grief is for. The worst part of my grief is often not knowing who, exactly, I was grieving for at that particular moment. Then, I knew I could never be truly happy again. I was wrong. I understand why it became the tradition to allow a year for grieving. It was a good six months before grief showed any signs of letting up, before I knew, Yes, things would once again be okay, that life was to be treasured, and was well worth living. The happiness (even though I still miss everyone) I had known before all these deaths slowly returned.

The question "why" is not specific enough thus has to be assumed and your approach with that question is not honest nor sincere.
Come to the right people in the right manner with the right question and they should answer you with no problem otherwise they are the ones not being honest and sincere.

That being said I repeatedly discussed the answer to purpose, it's in the meaning of the name in the Holy city. Shalem.

Why death, it's not natural, so we must despise it and work to overcome or extend it's inevitability therefore become more Shalem. Without life you would not know how empty and vile death is.
Without death you would not know how precious and full life is and covet it and appreciate it or those in it that soon pass.
You would just take life and people for granted.

R.I.P. Ed Snider much appreciated by his many fans he created by his dedication to making his Hockey team Shalem.

We die to make room for the next generation. Why keep the envelop after you've got the seed?

As for what's next? Nothing. You go to sleep, you don't wake up. Maybe we have souls, but I doubt it.

What's the point of life then? Who said there was one beyond procreate? Human awareness is just a happy accident of the universe, so have the best life you can.

A Question for tbe Faithful..... WHY?

So I have a question for all the believers here ...

maybe for the faithful and believers to see life to the end will be its own reward and so were something to follow.

Forum List

Back