Zone1 A question I thought I'd throw out here. Is committing a Sin the same as committing a Mistake or Error?

Cougarbear

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2022
Is committing sin the same as committing a mistake or error? If it is or is not, please explain your understanding. And, let's discuss this because many beat themselves up making mistakes.

Is committing sin the same as committing a mistake or error? If it is or is not, please explain your understanding. And, let's discuss this because many beat themselves up making mistakes.
You don't accidently eat an apple....

no,,

nothing wrong with holding yourself accountable to messing up,,

Sin requires intent. Mistakes do not.
That's a good word. I think it requires the knowledge of evil. And your point about intent is to do evil. Religiously, to do evil against a commandment of God or just do evil against another. Mistakes happen when trying to do good. However, there is intent involved with a mistake too but in reverse. We try to do good, better and best. Evil is only one thing, sin.

That's correct. Sin and transgression are deliberate acts against God. Mistakes are not. Yet, most people believe that a mistake has to be repented of. What do you think?
No I don't believe a mistake must be confessed which means its not a sin.... however a lot of people call their sins mistakes... but they are still sins in the eyes of the creator.... but its all important to ask for forgiveness and to mean it...

No I don't believe a mistake must be confessed which means its not a sin.... however a lot of people call their sins mistakes... but they are still sins in the eyes of the creator.... but its all important to ask for forgiveness and to mean it...
Yes. I agree. I guess if someone wants to confess a mistake just to be sure, I'm okay with that. But, not to confess a sin and call it a mistake to try and wiggle out of it denies the atonement of Christ.

Are all crimes a sin? Or are some just a mistake? And, how would we tell the difference? Murder is an easy one. So is stealing. But, what about some of the others?
sin is a religious issue a crime is a social construct,,

and a mistake is just a mistake but can be a sin or a crime,,

sin is a religious issue a crime is a social construct,,

and a mistake is just a mistake but can be a sin or a crime,,
I agree that a mistake can be a crime. However, one has to have the knowledge that the mistake is also a sin and must have the intent to violate the law of God.

Sin is to willful failure to miss the target of loving and honoring God and others, resulting in the failure to achieve one's full potential.

It is a purposeful, knowing transgression of God's law to get the upper hand against others, or is done is done specifically to spite God and/or God's law.

Sin is regarded as a mistake when there was no willful intent to miss the targets of loving God and others, especially when amends are made to rectify this failure, getting one back on track.

Sin is to willful failure to miss the target of loving and honoring God and others, resulting in the failure to achieve one's full potential.

It is a purposeful, knowing transgression of God's law to get the upper hand against others, or is done is done specifically to spite God and/or God's law.

Sin is regarded as a mistake when there was no willful intent to miss the targets of loving God and others, especially when amends are made to rectify this failure, getting one back on track.
Pretty good. I'd leave off the last statement saying sin can be a mistake. Mistakes just aren't sin because of what you wrote.

Forum List

Back