A question on tipping

thereisnospoon

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2010
mid south
So...A question for the members here.
You go out to your favorite restaurant. Not a chain, but a privately owned eatery. Or lets say your favorite local pub. As you enter, you see a new sign on the door. It says.."dear valued customers. As of ( date) we here at Joes Bar and Grill have instituted a no tipping policy. Instead, a surcharge of 20% ( or whatever...20% is the most common figure) will be added to the bill for each meal/drinks served. This is being done in response to new local regulations that mandate we pay a minimum wage to our employees. The surcharge is to cover the additional cost of labor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause"...
Read this column. Then comment.....Please note. The higher minimum wage is just ONE reason restaurant owners are moving away from tipping.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/20/not-so-fast-on-banning-tipping-please-even-though-i-called-for-it/
oh...Readers may be curious as to my stance....
Having been in the food and beverage business for 5 years I can say without a doubt that I would MUCH prefer to be compensated via gratuities. I believe the gratuity is the ultimate merit system as most normal people appreciate the hard work and attentiveness of a good server/bartender and will tip appropriately. During my tenure I found that to be the case. I would much rather deal with being paid in cash.....Just peel off the 8% to declare to the feds and off I went. And being able to yank down anywhere from $100 to $150 in a 6/7 hour shift would mean being paid a salary up to $30 per hour. Nobody is going to do that.
Even at $15 per hour, I would have LOST income..Plus I believe that paying servers/bartenders by the hour removes incentive to go that extra mile to enhance the customer's experience.

I never understood this blizzaro world where regular labor rules don't apply to restaurants.

I'd rather be done with the tipping . People who live off tips are the biggest tax cheats .

I never understood this blizzaro world where regular labor rules don't apply to restaurants.

I'd rather be done with the tipping . People who live off tips are the biggest tax cheats .
Why do you hate working class people?

My sister was a waitress and regularly raked in $200 a day. How much she reported is questionable but I'm sure it was a fraction of that. It was the unspoken benefit to waiting. They shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Without the bigtitty waitress bending waaay over for your plate, why eat out?

a tip should be 20%.
I doubt any of the righty fascists have ever worked for tips.
they're pissed because in all the years they worked in fast food they never got any .

My sister was a waitress and regularly raked in $200 a day. How much she reported is questionable but I'm sure it was a fraction of that. It was the unspoken benefit to waiting. They shot themselves in the foot with this one.

can't cook? like you.
if I wanted to see tities id go to the strip club .

You go out to your favorite restaurant. Not a chain, but a privately owned eatery. Or lets say your favorite local pub. As you enter, you see a new sign on the door. It says.."dear valued customers. As of ( date) we here at Joes Bar and Grill have instituted a no tipping policy. Instead, a surcharge of 20% ( or whatever...20% is the most common figure) will be added to the bill for each meal/drinks served. This is being done in response to new local regulations that mandate we pay a minimum wage to our employees. The surcharge is to cover the additional cost of labor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause"...
Read this column. Then comment.....Please note. The higher minimum wage is just ONE reason restaurant owners are moving away from tipping.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/20/not-so-fast-on-banning-tipping-please-even-though-i-called-for-it/
Having been in the food and beverage business for 5 years I can say without a doubt that I would MUCH prefer to be compensated via gratuities. I believe the gratuity is the ultimate merit system as most normal people appreciate the hard work and attentiveness of a good server/bartender and will tip appropriately. During my tenure I found that to be the case. I would much rather deal with being paid in cash.....Just peel off the 8% to declare to the feds and off I went. And being able to yank down anywhere from $100 to $150 in a 6/7 hour shift would mean being paid a salary up to $30 per hour. Nobody is going to do that.
Even at $15 per hour, I would have LOST income..Plus I believe that paying servers/bartenders by the hour removes incentive to go that extra mile to enhance the customer's experience.
Absolutely to the bold part.

I agree with the change as being bad for both the customer AND the waitress themselves. The unintended consequences and all. Right now, waiting is one of the only jobs that a worker without marketable skills can do very well in.

i would walk out

can't cook? like you.
I cook every night. I was talking about real titties though, not the plastic ones.

can't cook? like you.
I cook every night. I was talking about real titties though, not the plastic ones.
like it matters.

This little ploy has been spreading.

Coffee shop I visit most mornings tried a 10% mandatory service charge several weeks ago. They posted it prominently on the menu.

Some people didn't notice that and were surprised when they saw it added to their check.

A few deducted it and paid only for the food and left no tip.

Some just got up and walked out.

A very few walked out without paying at all.

Within 2 days the place was empty and the wait-staff was job hunting. The best of them were quickly hired elsewhere.

The policy quickly changed but the best waitresses (for some reason the male staff what had been job hunting didn't get hired elsewhere) had left and some long-time customers did not come back.

can't cook? like you.
like it matters.
To me it does. I can't handle the fake ones without thinking of the bag of gel inside.

can't cook? like you.
like it matters.
To me it does. I can't handle the fake ones without thinking of the bag of gel inside.
not surprising ,you have lots of issues.

can't cook? like you.
like it matters.
not surprising ,you have lots of issues.
Sucking on silicone isn't one of them.

Hmm.
Tax cheats....That flies in the face of the argument that only the 1% are tax cheats....Anyway, the issue of why pays taxes and who does not is not material to the discussion. .
The reason the low wage for servers exists( $2.13) is ensure their wage plus tips equals or exceeds the minimum wage.
And here's a piece of info for you. Most tabs are paid and tipped through the use of a credit or debit card. Therefore, the paper and electronic trail is there to ensure the server declares the correct percentage of their tips.
Hence the reason why we preferred to be tipped in cash. We pay enough of a dowry to the state and federal govt...
Taxation is not for punishment. I'd like you to hold on to that fact

a tip should be 20%.
I doubt any of the righty fascists have ever worked for tips.
they're pissed because in all the years they worked in fast food they never got any .
Ok...Now you've taken your shot at conservatives....Now, would you please elaborate on your view of tipping vs not tipping...
BTW, I am conservative and I have worked ( see my OP) for tips and consider myself to be a generous tipper.
Tipping crosses demographic lines.....
Now, your thoughts..Thanks

Forum List

Back