A question on tipping

So...A question for the members here.
You go out to your favorite restaurant. Not a chain, but a privately owned eatery. Or lets say your favorite local pub. As you enter, you see a new sign on the door. It says.."dear valued customers. As of ( date) we here at Joes Bar and Grill have instituted a no tipping policy. Instead, a surcharge of 20% ( or whatever...20% is the most common figure) will be added to the bill for each meal/drinks served. This is being done in response to new local regulations that mandate we pay a minimum wage to our employees. The surcharge is to cover the additional cost of labor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause"...
Read this column. Then comment.....Please note. The higher minimum wage is just ONE reason restaurant owners are moving away from tipping.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/20/not-so-fast-on-banning-tipping-please-even-though-i-called-for-it/
oh...Readers may be curious as to my stance....
Having been in the food and beverage business for 5 years I can say without a doubt that I would MUCH prefer to be compensated via gratuities. I believe the gratuity is the ultimate merit system as most normal people appreciate the hard work and attentiveness of a good server/bartender and will tip appropriately. During my tenure I found that to be the case. I would much rather deal with being paid in cash.....Just peel off the 8% to declare to the feds and off I went. And being able to yank down anywhere from $100 to $150 in a 6/7 hour shift would mean being paid a salary up to $30 per hour. Nobody is going to do that.
Even at $15 per hour, I would have LOST income..Plus I believe that paying servers/bartenders by the hour removes incentive to go that extra mile to enhance the customer's experience.

i would walk out
Please elaborate..WHY would you walk out? Explain in detail....Thanks

All three of my kids worked for tips while going to college. The tips they made were huge compared to an hourly wage job. Face it, it's a commission basically. Taught them that hard work = great pay.

If I saw that sign and ate there, if the service was not up to par, I'd ask to see the manager and want a discount on my ticket.

What a stupid thread.

Americans are the only ones in the world who DO NOT include service in the bill!

What's the big deal? I've worked for tips and know damn well how it works. Do a good job and you get more.

The problem is that tax agencies now require that all tips be added together and then shared among all. That means the dolts and lollards earn the same as the ones who provide real service.

That American establishments are turning to this is far too late. I'd like to see it in effect everywhere.

You go out to your favorite restaurant. Not a chain, but a privately owned eatery. Or lets say your favorite local pub. As you enter, you see a new sign on the door. It says.."dear valued customers. As of ( date) we here at Joes Bar and Grill have instituted a no tipping policy. Instead, a surcharge of 20% ( or whatever...20% is the most common figure) will be added to the bill for each meal/drinks served. This is being done in response to new local regulations that mandate we pay a minimum wage to our employees. The surcharge is to cover the additional cost of labor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause"...
Read this column. Then comment.....Please note. The higher minimum wage is just ONE reason restaurant owners are moving away from tipping.
http://nypost.com/2016/03/20/not-so-fast-on-banning-tipping-please-even-though-i-called-for-it/
Having been in the food and beverage business for 5 years I can say without a doubt that I would MUCH prefer to be compensated via gratuities. I believe the gratuity is the ultimate merit system as most normal people appreciate the hard work and attentiveness of a good server/bartender and will tip appropriately. During my tenure I found that to be the case. I would much rather deal with being paid in cash.....Just peel off the 8% to declare to the feds and off I went. And being able to yank down anywhere from $100 to $150 in a 6/7 hour shift would mean being paid a salary up to $30 per hour. Nobody is going to do that.
Even at $15 per hour, I would have LOST income..Plus I believe that paying servers/bartenders by the hour removes incentive to go that extra mile to enhance the customer's experience.

i would walk out
How republican of you

a tip should be 20%.
I doubt any of the righty fascists have ever worked for tips.
they're pissed because in all the years they worked in fast food they never got any .
Ok...Now you've taken your shot at conservatives....Now, would you please elaborate on your view of tipping vs not tipping...
BTW, I am conservative and I have worked ( see my OP) for tips and consider myself to be a generous tipper.
Tipping crosses demographic lines.....
Now, your thoughts..Thanks
Asked and answered. But since you need to be spoon fed,
If the food is not up to the advertised standard I have walked out many times.
I am a great tipper .
As to taking shots , I haven't even started
You like a lot of conservatives are cronicly thin skinned.

i would walk out
I would too at most places, but the OP specifically said your favorite restaurant. My favorite restaurant has the best food you can get around here, that's a different story.

i would walk out
I would too at most places, but the OP specifically said your favorite restaurant. My favorite restaurant has the best food you can get around here, that's a different story.

it would be change up in my favorite restaurant

i would find a new favorite

i would walk out
How republican of you

why the fuck is that

i would walk out
How republican of you

why the fuck is that
you don't give a damn for those workers who would lose their jobs because you and your republican friends didn't eat there anymore??.or the small business owner forced out of business.?...like I said how republican of you

i would walk out
How republican of you

why the fuck is that
you don't give a damn for those workers who would lose their jobs because you and your republican friends didn't eat there anymore??.or the small business owner forced out of business.?...like I said how republican of you

i tip very well loser

so fuck you on that i dont care bullshit

You frequent businesses to help employ people? You expect people to buy that steamy pile?

You frequent businesses to help employ people? You expect people to buy that steamy pile?

yes because being a leftard

he has fascist leanings

the only acceptable answer is his

--LOL

You expect people to believe your's so why not eddiew?

i would walk out
How republican of you

why the fuck is that

i tip very well loser

so fuck you on that i dont care bullshit
we weren't talking about tipping jon we were talking about you not patronizing the business anymore and I tip well too ....just gave my favorite bartender $100 for Easter That shes a knockout has nothing to do with it

I think this is the better way if the clientele is predominately black.
I have heard that blacks are really bad tippers.
They drive the servers crazy always sending food back,requesting the food to be cooked a certain way
other then how it's explained in the menu.
Then with a dinner party of 10 with a $200.00 tab they might leave a $2.00 tip....

This and the owner being forced to pay a salary higher then they can afford it makes sense
to come up with a way to increase revenue.

i would walk out
How republican of you

why the fuck is that

So you against freedom of CHOICE again?

Forum List

Back