A real alarmist viewpoint

Ray........I'll tell you something science related I'm far more worried about = the island of LaPalma off the northern coast of Africa. For centuries, steam has been building up inside the northernmost quadrant of the cone. If it blows, half the island falls into the sea and a 1,000 foot tsunami is coming my way with an arrival time of about 6 hours on the eastern seaboard. These scientific realities are not a matter of if...........they are a matter of when from all Ive read.

If you're not aware of this Ray, you're focusing on the wrong thing my friend...........

What are people going to say if that happens, the scientists knew about it and we were spending trillions on fucking windmills!!!:blowup::blowup::blowup::slap:

Actually, the same is true for the West Coast, and Hawaii.

Hawaiian Landslides

What can a layman say about such a methane disaster scenario except:

Gee, I sure hope they're wrong.
In an article published in the September issue of Geology, Gregory Ryskin, associate professor of chemical engineering, suggeststhat huge combustible clouds produced by methane gas trapped in stagnant bodies of water and suddenly released could have killed off the majority of marine life and land animals and plants at the end of the Permian era -- long before dinosaurs lived and died.

The mechanism also might explain other extinctions and climate perturbations (ice ages) and even the Biblical flood, as well as be the cause of future catastrophes.

Ryskin calculated that some 10,000 gigatons of dissolved methane could have accumulated in water near the ocean floor under high pressure. If released quickly, perhaps triggered by an earthquake, the resulting cloud of methane would have an explosive force about 10,000 times greater than the world's entire stockpile of nuclear weapons. The huge conflagrations plus flooding and overturned oceans would cause the extinctions. (Approximately 95 percent of marine species and 70 percent of land species were lost.)

In an article published in the September issue of Geology, Gregory Ryskin, associate professor of chemical engineering, suggeststhat huge combustible clouds produced by methane gas trapped in stagnant bodies of water and suddenly released could have killed off the majority of marine life and land animals and plants at the end of the Permian era -- long before dinosaurs lived and died.

The mechanism also might explain other extinctions and climate perturbations (ice ages) and even the Biblical flood, as well as be the cause of future catastrophes.

Ryskin calculated that some 10,000 gigatons of dissolved methane could have accumulated in water near the ocean floor under high pressure. If released quickly, perhaps triggered by an earthquake, the resulting cloud of methane would have an explosive force about 10,000 times greater than the world's entire stockpile of nuclear weapons. The huge conflagrations plus flooding and overturned oceans would cause the extinctions. (Approximately 95 percent of marine species and 70 percent of land species were lost.)
Sounds like there's not a damn thing we can do about it, huh?

How come there are people out there who cant see this? If we're going down, we're going down! Not much sense in getting angst about it. What Ive always found most fascinating about the way the warmers think is not about the passion related to the greenhouse gas effect on temperatures........but rather, this idea that mankind could actually do something about it........dictate to nature. Sorry..........I have a better chance of scoring with Katie Perry tonight!!!

Drill Baby, DRILL!

Quickly.. Gee I thought we had depleted all those fossil fuel sources OleRocks???

Well Flatulance, here is what we know at present;

Arctic Methane Emergency Group - AMEG - Home

For sure, what we don't know is how much methane will outgas from present GHGs in the atmosphere. What we do know is that the outgassing we have seen in the last two years was totally unexpected, and as the amount of ice decreases, we are going to see more. How much more, and in what time frames are the big questions now.

A guy named Dr.Pinna offers the most succinct reflection:

Dependency of SLRDs on time series lengths for averages of NEH gauges. : Hotspot of accelerated sea-level rise on the Atlantic coast of North America : Nature Climate Change : Nature Publishing Group

The Earth today is vastly overpopulated with Human animals who operate under the force of the Conservation of Energy. Humans are compelled to use external energy in the form of heat, which produces electricity or moves engine parts.

Human animals will not reduce their numbers, nor will they use their own internal energy for movement or work. They will always use external energy in the form of hydrocarbons in order to move or work. As a consequence the Planet Earth must undergo accelerated Global Warming.

At a certain point the heat will destroy the human species and probably all other species.

--------------------------

We are locked into a course, where warming and SLR will accelerate, at least until 2050, no matter what we do. What we should do is re-green deserts and polluted areas, particularly. But how to do this, past all the zombies in Zombieland is a matter of waiting until zombies start to burn.

For sure, what we don't know is how much methane will outgas from present GHGs in the atmosphere. What we do know is that the outgassing we have seen in the last two years was totally unexpected, and as the amount of ice decreases, we are going to see more. How much more, and in what time frames are the big questions now.

No look -- you're the expert on outgassing.. :badgrin: Just tell me which it is.. Have we depleted the fossil fuel reserve or are we just discovering that we live on top of a giant fuel-air timebomb? I want to make investments based on the answer..

No look -- you're the expert on outgassing.. :badgrin: Just tell me which it is.. Have we depleted the fossil fuel reserve or are we just discovering that we live on top of a giant fuel-air timebomb? I want to make investments based on the answer..

Dude......I always thought "outgassing" was a term derived from peoples opinions of the Bill Maher show.

Perhaps you should invest in an education, first.

Perhaps you should invest in an education, first.

Arrogant elitist chicken-shit...

Must be an adversion to drilling the earth.. Here's the OldRocks way of harvesting methane.

flacaltenn-albums-fun-stuff-picture4580-cowmethane.jpg

Arctic News: Arctic Methane Alarm

A 2009 study by Drew Shindell found that increases in global methane emissions did cause a 26% hydroxyl decrease. Because of this, methane now persists longer in the atmosphere, before getting transformed into the less potent carbon dioxide.

A Centre for Atmospheric Science study suggests that sea ice loss may amplify permafrost warming, with an ice-free Arctic featuring a decrease in hydroxyl of up to 60% and an increase of tropospheric ozone (another greenhouse gas) of up to 60% over the Arctic. This lack of hydroxyl means that methane will persist in the atmosphere for longer at its high global warming potency.

Heard a radio report late last night from a scientist who studies the sun ( The JOhn Bachelor Show is awesome).......says we know so little about the sun AND its impact on our planet. Just recently, scientists have discovered that solar tornado's happen all the time across the surface, not caused by wind, but by changes in magnetic forces.

Solar Tornadoes Dance Across Sun's Surface in NASA Video | Sun Tornado & Solar Flares | Space Weather, Sun Eruptions & Solar Dynamics Observatory | Space.com

Guy talked about us not understanding why these forces are changing and that the frequency of tornados in cyclical. Hmmm..........I thought there is a pretty good chance all these changes are not a result of SUV"s roaming across the surface of the sun.

I think it is fascinating that the science oriented board members have no interest about the effects of the sun on our planet. Quite compelling.

Even minor fluctuations in sunspot activity have significant effects on our atmosphere..............but the environmentalits are not at all interested. Hmmmmm................

http://theresilientearth.com/?q=content/scientists-discover-sun-does-affect-earths-climate

Last edited:
Interestingly.............here is the take by the IPCC scientists on the suns effects.................

Over the time-scale of millions of years the change in solar intensity is a critical factor influencing climate (e.g., ice ages). However, changes in solar heating rate over the last century cannot account for the magnitude and distribution of the rise in global mean temperature during that time period and there is no convincing evidence for significant indirect influences on our climate due to twentieth century changes in solar output.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/science/effect-of-sun-on-climate-faq.html

The article never defines "convincing evidence". Accordingly, its an opinion.......but many easily led folks see "no convincing evidence" being reported by a scientist and they invariably believe it BECAUSE IT IS A SCIENTIST saying it.

Thats the whole BS of all this "science". Its as open to interpretation as political science for Christsakes...........in other words, none of this shit is provable.............as its always been.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back