A World Without Work?

I would suggest that the ideas in the OP are basically correct; eventually (perhaps soon), there will be no need for human labor. As technology increases in capability and capacity, machines will be able design, build, and maintain themselves and other newer machines. They will do so better than humans.

Human society could quite easily live with high standards of living, lavish livestyles, and a huge amount of leisure time. Why is this unlikely to happen?

BECAUSE wealth is defined by the claim of the rich on the labor of the working class. If wage labor disappeared, so would wealth; the aristocracy must maintain the labor class to keep their hold on power. Even if that labor is completely unnecessary.

Will they be smart enough to see that for themselves, or will government have to compel them to do so?

Or, perhaps we'll just develop a new definition of wealth.

Why do you cling to the duality of "wealth" vs. "poverty?" Why do you believe it is a necessary distinction?

Ok, give me another means of measurement.

Will they be smart enough to see that for themselves, or will government have to compel them to do so?

Or, perhaps we'll just develop a new definition of wealth.

Why do you cling to the duality of "wealth" vs. "poverty?" Why do you believe it is a necessary distinction?

Why, exactly, are you needing to measure something? Seriously.

I suppose that's a fair question and one which reveals how wedded I am to old concepts.

However, how do we determine who is doing "well" from those who are not?

Actual physical and mental health, not acquisition of frivolous (non-need) assetts, control and power.

I suppose that's a fair question and one which reveals how wedded I am to old concepts.

Actual physical and mental health, not acquisition of frivolous (non-need) assetts, control and power.

So, physical and mental health is among the highest ideals for human beings? Is there anything else? And, by what standard would you measure them?

So, physical and mental health is among the highest ideals for human beings? Is there anything else? And, by what standard would you measure them?

They *would be,* the very highest ideals - if we weren't sociologically contorted to worship money and ownership of things.

Imagine being born in the middle of the woods and knowing nothing of this structured world we live in.

What would you value highest? Health & (for lack of a better word) playfulness.

@ Oldguy, if you're really intrigued by the subject - watch that youtube I posted when you get a shot. It's pretty awesome.

And who determines what I need or don't need? What of it if I buy something I don't need? I bought myself an EOS 60D for Christmas, I certainly didn't need it... so what?

And who determines what I need or don't need? What of it if I buy something I don't need? I bought myself an EOS 60D for Christmas, I certainly didn't need it... so what?

Thats not the point - it's not "control," i.e. stopping you from having anything you want or classifying anything you want or dont want as needs or not needs.

The point is to use technology to maximize happiness as a species, and happiness is a person to person thing but it most certainly doesn't start with having a thousand men tamp down a highway once the steamroller's been invented.

Good, hard-nosed work feels good for the soul - this is true - but Really? Only when it accomplishes something of significance to yourself or those you care about.

One employed per household used to be enough.

Now, day-cares raise most people's children.

Now, in terms of nature/nurture itself - that signifies a sickness.

Thats not the point - it's not "control," i.e. stopping you from having anything you want or classifying anything you want or dont want as needs or not needs.

The point is to use technology to maximize happiness as a species, and happiness is a person to person thing but it most certainly doesn't start with having a thousand men tamp down a highway once the steamroller's been invented.

Good, hard-nosed work feels good for the soul - this is true - but Really? Only when it accomplishes something of significance to yourself or those you care about.

One employed per household used to be enough.

Now, day-cares raise most people's children.

Now, in terms of nature/nurture itself - that signifies a sickness.

Well, I kinda get what you are saying... a lot of people have committed themselves to lifestyles that require two incomes; and that is sad. Hell, I drive cars till the wheels fall off and don't take lavish vacations.. and ya know what? I never have a car note and I have zero debt... outside a small mortgage that is.

Forum List

Back