🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

About the kid killed on the water slide . Why aren't the parents blamed?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The press has been going on and on about this and blaming the death on the company only. But hell - It's 170 feet high and reaches speeds of 70 mph!!! This ain't no ferris wheel. Any fool can see this is super dangerous and parents should not let their kids on it. BTW the parents have gotten some nice coin out of this.
Decapitated 10-Year-Old Boy's Father Speaks Out After Charges in His Waterslide Death

According to the Associated Press, Caleb’s family reached a nearly $20 million settlement with Schlitterbahn and affiliated companies.

I'll assume the lack of information the waterpark made available to the public about the slide's safety imperfections played a very large part in the situation.

I can't believe he got charged ...people were on and ''safe'' long before the kid got killed
...on one news show, they said the guy's wife was going to go on the ride that day or the next--of course this could be post accident planning
Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, or from an unlawful act that is a misdemeanor or low-level felony (such as a DUI). The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.

1. Someone was killed as a result of the defendant's actions.
  2. The act either was inherently dangerous to others or done with reckless disregard for human life.
  3. The defendant knew or should have known his or her conduct was a threat to the lives of others.
number 3 looks very questionable
number 2 ''reckless disregard for human life'' --I don't see that--but there are many stupid jurors out there....
..it is my understanding the rafts were safe if loaded properly......there are ride requirements for most/all rides......

Involuntary Manslaughter Overview - FindLaw
companies fast track

I've been on big water slides before but I would never get on that one or let my kids on it when they were little. Look at the ride! There is no security for that raft at all. All the slides I've been on have enclosed tubes until you are squirted out the end.

Amazing that these people are being prosecuted for manslaughter while the auto industry is allowed to sell cars that do TWICE the maximum legal speed!!!

I recently seen a news story on this. apparently the park owner(?) had already been warned of the hazards and ignored it. Also during the interview as the reporter & park owner walked past the ride, there were jackhammers working at the base of it and when the reporter asked why they were there & what work was being done.....the owner said he didn't know, had no idea why.

Sorry but that just stinks of willful negligence.....so yeah I can see why they would charge him for murder

The press has been going on and on about this and blaming the death on the company only. But hell - It's 170 feet high and reaches speeds of 70 mph!!! This ain't no ferris wheel. Any fool can see this is super dangerous and parents should not let their kids on it. BTW the parents have gotten some nice coin out of this.
Decapitated 10-Year-Old Boy's Father Speaks Out After Charges in His Waterslide Death

According to the Associated Press, Caleb’s family reached a nearly $20 million settlement with Schlitterbahn and affiliated companies.

The company has the unforeseen negligence and limits of liability burden not a patron...

I recently seen a news story on this. apparently the park owner(?) had already been warned of the hazards and ignored it. Also during the interview as the reporter & park owner walked past the ride, there were jackhammers working at the base of it and when the reporter asked why they were there & what work was being done.....the owner said he didn't know, had no idea why.

Sorry but that just stinks of willful negligence.....so yeah I can see why they would charge him for murder

so why isn't it willful negligence when the auto industry sells cars that do TWICE maximum legal speed and someone is killed by a nut doing 110?

so why isn't it willful negligence when the auto industry sells cars that do TWICE maximum legal speed and someone is killed by a nut doing 110?

The difference here is that it is the drivers choice of how the vehicle is operated. This water slide is at an amusement park or wherever that is geared for kids & adults, for entertainment purposes and any park owner is directly responsible for the proper operation and safety of those rides. In this case he was negligent because he knew the ride was not up to safety standards.
Auto industry is responsible for the safety of the vehicles they make & sell or they suffer the loss in recalls and lawsuits.......but they are not responsible for the drivers choice to operate it in an illegal/unsafe manner

The difference here is that it is the drivers choice of how the vehicle is operated. This water slide is at an amusement park or wherever that is geared for kids & adults, for entertainment purposes

Same thing, moron. The parents chose to let the kid go on the slide. THINK

Forum List

Back