After 54 Years, The U.S. And Cuba Formally Restore Ties

pwjohn

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Buttlick Kentucky
After 54 years of animosity, the United States and Cuba have formally restored diplomatic ties.

That means that the U.S. opened an embassy in Havana and Cuba opened an embassy in Washington, D.C., this morning.

In truth, both countries had for years already been running robust interest sections in both capitals. Today, however, both of those missions were upgraded.

During a ceremony full of pomp and circumstance, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez raised the Cuban flag at the embassy in Washington.

The last time the Cuban flag flew in that location was in 1961, before the U.S. broke ties with the communist island.

After 54 Years The U.S. And Cuba Formally Restore Ties The Two-Way NPR

Disgusting. Really nothing more to be said about it. Just one more reason why Embassy Row needs to be carpet bombed out of existence.

After 54 years of animosity, the United States and Cuba have formally restored diplomatic ties.

That means that the U.S. opened an embassy in Havana and Cuba opened an embassy in Washington, D.C., this morning.

In truth, both countries had for years already been running robust interest sections in both capitals. Today, however, both of those missions were upgraded.

During a ceremony full of pomp and circumstance, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez raised the Cuban flag at the embassy in Washington.

The last time the Cuban flag flew in that location was in 1961, before the U.S. broke ties with the communist island.

54 years too late.

It was a ridiculous, inane, and failed policy pursued by both Democratic and Republican administrations.

I'm sure the recently arrested political prisoners are jumping for joy.

Great. Now maybe Cubans who left under the commie regime can get reparations from the Castro boys who took their homes, possessions, etc. in exchange for letting them leave the country.

Fat chance.

In a way, it is kind of a shame that the Cuban embargo is over. First of all, it has been so successful. I mean, we really showed those Cubans that we mean business! Also, it was the only place in the world to which our own government made it illegal to travel, from the USA. Now, our own government is voluntarily giving up coopted power that it never had in the first place. Who knows where that will lead!

So I guess Cuba is now ready to pay for all the property they seized from American Citizens and Companies.

Well, I guess that's one area where Obumble may ultimately be judged by history as 'getting it right'.

It's not like the Cubans pose a threat to the US any longer by allowing the Soviets to position nuclear weapons and large-scale military bases there.

I read somewhere in the past few years that the post-Soviet Roooskies once again had Visiting Military Ship (naval, air?) privileges with Cuba.

But it's not like the old days, and the Cubans are not the rabid Soviet suck-up Commie Instigators and Proxies that they once were.

Kennedy was probably on the right track in attempting to bring the Castro regime down through economic pressure.

But, we didn't have buy-in from much of the Western Hemisphere, or the rest of the world, so, our own economic pressure was weakened from Day One.

And, truth be told, Cuba has been a third-world banana republic shit-hole for many decades, and has always had trouble, ruling themselves without a strongman-bully.

What we'd been doing started out as a good idea, but it didn't work, and, in the meantime, the threat posed by Cuba has large evaporated.

We should probably have abandoned the approach a decade or two or three ago.

Obumble merely looked at it and figured it was time to pull the plug on an ancient tactic that had long-since become a joke.

Good for him.

( and, God, it damned-near killed me to write that last sentence
wink_smile.gif
)

So I guess Cuba is now ready to pay for all the property they seized from American Citizens and Companies.

Absolutely! And as soon as the money comes in, the USA will pay back Spain, for having taken it all away from them!

That was via a treaty at the end of a war. Nice attempt at equivalency, but it doesn't float.

Neither did the battleship Maine, but that wasn't Spain's fault!

Again, another dodge at actually addressing the issue.

Absolutely! And as soon as the money comes in, the USA will pay back Spain, for having taken it all away from them!

That was via a treaty at the end of a war. Nice attempt at equivalency, but it doesn't float.

Neither did the battleship Maine, but that wasn't Spain's fault!

Again, another dodge at actually addressing the issue.

Speaking of "dodge", I would love to pick up a 1960 model from Havana!

Forum List

Back