Almost half of Americans work in low paid jobs

Sadly, a Bachelors in Biology is basically useless...might get you teaching job.

Want to do anything with Biology you need a Masters at a minimum.

You're 100 percent correct. I have a bachelor's degree in Marine Biology. I was young and stupid, I was near graduating when I realized that my chosen field only paid nominally and then only if you had a Ph.D. I never used the degree. I do not regret earning the degree, it taught me discipline, personal responsibility and working toward goals. In that way, it served me well!

Nah, Andy's right. It's these damn kids today. Spoilt! No appreciation! No work ethic! Why when we were toddlers our parents made us eat dirt! And we liked it! WE LOVED IT!
:abgg2q.jpg:

My parents lived in an upper middle class neighborhood. When I was in high school, the kids drove Camaro and BMWs to school.

When I was in middle school, I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas. I wanted a second joystick, so I could play with a friend. My parents pointed to the snow outside, and said.... "looks like people need their driveways shoveled".

I spent 3 days of my Christmas break, shoveling sidewalks to buy a Atari joystick.

When I was high school with all the Camaro and BMW kids, I was driving a 1984 Mazada pickup truck, because that's what I could afford to pay the payment on.

I do not see anything wrong with people working for what they want.

I find it entirely evil, to demand I pay taxes, so others can get free stuff.
I wonder how liberals will try to refute that logic?

but we know they will try
Where's my free Atari joystick? I got robbed!

Plus the importance of education.

View attachment 292868

Yeah, but I think you are conflating two separate things.

The importance of education is limited to your willingness to put in the work.

What I'm trying to caution against, is that what I see some people (not specifically you), tend to do, is think that if you hand out free education, and push "no child left behind" policies, that this will somehow result in people working better jobs.

No it won't. I know people right now that have 4-year degrees, and no job, specifically because they suck at working. Handing people a degree, does not magically give them work ethic.

And this ideology right here, is exactly why you have seen numerous grade scams in the US, where they pass kids who have no business getting a passing grade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8f88ae-f9ab-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

The first, an African immigrant who had taught special education, was stunned to see one student’s name on Rossiter’s list. “Huh!” Rossiter quoted the teacher as saying. “That boy can’t add two plus two and doesn’t care! What’s he doing in pre-calculus? Yes of course I passed him — that’s a gentleman’s D. Everybody knows that a D for a special education student means nothing but that he came in once in a while.”​

So when you say education is important.... not as much as caring is important. You can drop out of college, and start a successful computer company and apple for a logo, if you care enough.

You can be handed all the education you want, and still end up flipping burgers at Whopper King, if you don't care.

Most colleges enroll students who aren’t prepared for higher education

Almost a majority of students coming out of high school, are not qualified. They have been given free education, free grants, sucking down billions on billions of tax dollars a year, and still not qualified to sort mail for the post office, if you don't care.

So I actually would argue the correct statement is not "the importance of education" but rather "the importance of a work ethic".

And sometimes you can get a great education, be a hard worker, and still be having problems.

My niece graduated college with a degree in biology. It was her quest to get into medical research. Good kid, high grades, and energetic as all hell. She's still waiting tables in Florida.

She can't find a job in that field no matter how hard she tries. My cousin, who is a Doctor in a research lab, had her fly to Maryland to show her around. She contracted my sister (her mother) and said how impressed she was with my nieces knowledge of medical work. The problem was, she couldn't get her a job there because they had a strict no-family policy.

So she moved from Cleveland to Florida because they have more labs there, and as I stated, still waiting tables as she has for the last seven years.

I don't know about the doctor. That seems odd to me, since there is such a high demand for those.

However, the Biology major, I am beginning to see that a Biology major is a crap degree. You are now the 3rd or 4th story involving biology majors, that can't find work.

I have a guy working with me right now, with a degree in biology, and he's working for $15 an hour, unboxing, and re-boxing computers with me, who has no degree at all.

That leads me to the question... how are these choices happening? How are people picking degrees that have no future? And what are we doing to help them pick better fields to get an education in?

Are we just telling these students "Dur... follow yer heart!" and they are, end up with useless degrees?

Something is happening here, and I'm not sure what it is.

It takes time to get a degree. If you are lucky, and hard working, at best, 4 years.

A lot can change in four years.

And even if it does not, nothing in for certain. YOu look at the environment, you place your bet and take your chances.

Sometimes you win. SOmetimes, you get fucked. For no reason.

4 years is taking your time and not working hard.

And that is somewhat true. I've known people that did nothing but study, and they were taking class year round, including summer, and were don with a 4-year degree, in 2-years.

I've also known people who spent 8 years going to school, taking just one class every quarter, and working full time, while having a family.

And in some ways, they turned into a benefit because they ended up changing their major to something more useful than what they had originally planned.

View attachment 292868

What I'm trying to caution against, is that what I see some people (not specifically you), tend to do, is think that if you hand out free education, and push "no child left behind" policies, that this will somehow result in people working better jobs.

No it won't. I know people right now that have 4-year degrees, and no job, specifically because they suck at working. Handing people a degree, does not magically give them work ethic.

And this ideology right here, is exactly why you have seen numerous grade scams in the US, where they pass kids who have no business getting a passing grade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8f88ae-f9ab-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

The first, an African immigrant who had taught special education, was stunned to see one student’s name on Rossiter’s list. “Huh!” Rossiter quoted the teacher as saying. “That boy can’t add two plus two and doesn’t care! What’s he doing in pre-calculus? Yes of course I passed him — that’s a gentleman’s D. Everybody knows that a D for a special education student means nothing but that he came in once in a while.”​

So when you say education is important.... not as much as caring is important. You can drop out of college, and start a successful computer company and apple for a logo, if you care enough.

You can be handed all the education you want, and still end up flipping burgers at Whopper King, if you don't care.

Almost a majority of students coming out of high school, are not qualified. They have been given free education, free grants, sucking down billions on billions of tax dollars a year, and still not qualified to sort mail for the post office, if you don't care.

So I actually would argue the correct statement is not "the importance of education" but rather "the importance of a work ethic".

And sometimes you can get a great education, be a hard worker, and still be having problems.

My niece graduated college with a degree in biology. It was her quest to get into medical research. Good kid, high grades, and energetic as all hell. She's still waiting tables in Florida.

She can't find a job in that field no matter how hard she tries. My cousin, who is a Doctor in a research lab, had her fly to Maryland to show her around. She contracted my sister (her mother) and said how impressed she was with my nieces knowledge of medical work. The problem was, she couldn't get her a job there because they had a strict no-family policy.

So she moved from Cleveland to Florida because they have more labs there, and as I stated, still waiting tables as she has for the last seven years.

I don't know about the doctor. That seems odd to me, since there is such a high demand for those.

However, the Biology major, I am beginning to see that a Biology major is a crap degree. You are now the 3rd or 4th story involving biology majors, that can't find work.

I have a guy working with me right now, with a degree in biology, and he's working for $15 an hour, unboxing, and re-boxing computers with me, who has no degree at all.

That leads me to the question... how are these choices happening? How are people picking degrees that have no future? And what are we doing to help them pick better fields to get an education in?

Are we just telling these students "Dur... follow yer heart!" and they are, end up with useless degrees?

Believe it or not, we had to talk her out of her real dream which was to become a marine biologist. When we finally convinced her that there was no work in that field, and she could see fish at Sea World, she refocused towards medical, which one would think there would be a world of opportunities. Didn't work out that way.

Ugh... So I think that really is it. That people are just going "I like starfish!" and making life choices on how they feel, instead of... I don't know... what jobs are actually out there?

Sadly, a Bachelors in Biology is basically useless...might get you teaching job.

Want to do anything with Biology you need a Masters at a minimum.

You're 100 percent correct. I have a bachelor's degree in Marine Biology. I was young and stupid, I was near graduating when I realized that my chosen field only paid nominally and then only if you had a Ph.D. I never used the degree. I do not regret earning the degree, it taught me discipline, personal responsibility and working toward goals. In that way, it served me well!

So what did you end up doing with you life? You got me curious now.

It takes time to get a degree. If you are lucky, and hard working, at best, 4 years.

A lot can change in four years.

And even if it does not, nothing in for certain. YOu look at the environment, you place your bet and take your chances.

Sometimes you win. SOmetimes, you get fucked. For no reason.

Said like someone who has not had to deal with the bullshit distribution of studies fuck yous, they like to fuck you with.

Nope, said like someone that did it and someone that got their masters in less than 2.

And how long ago was that?

Finished my Masters in 2014.

How long before that, did you get your bachelors?

This new generation is hard working and ultra productive otherwise the economy would not be so good. It takes people producing. You know, the thing CEOs and bosses were never very good at.
so that's why we have the worst inequality and upward Mobility ever anywhere and it keeps getting worse? No matter how many $7 an hour jobs there are....is that why the highest percentage of this newest generation is living at home still? Read something get some actual facts for crying out loud super duper.....

Well, Dems are useless twats.
You are just babbling. You admire the new generation and they are mainly Democrats... LOL

Nah, the new generation of Dem twats are even worse than the previous generations of Dem twats.

Said like someone who has not had to deal with the bullshit distribution of studies fuck yous, they like to fuck you with.

Nope, said like someone that did it and someone that got their masters in less than 2.

A while.

A while.

1. Today, they are all about forcing you to take extra bullshit classes.

2. And even if it is as easy as you recall, A. Good for you, and B. does not help the vast majority that need at least 4 years.

View attachment 292868

Believe it or not, we had to talk her out of her real dream which was to become a marine biologist. When we finally convinced her that there was no work in that field, and she could see fish at Sea World, she refocused towards medical, which one would think there would be a world of opportunities. Didn't work out that way.

Ugh... So I think that really is it. That people are just going "I like starfish!" and making life choices on how they feel, instead of... I don't know... what jobs are actually out there?

That's it. Her bedroom was always decorated with fish. She loved fish since a little girl, particularly dolphins.

They tell us the happiest people are those who like to do things as a hobby, and then find a way to make money at it. If you love what you do for a living, you never worked a day in your life.

Good theories to live by, however not applicable for most people. I used to love to play guitar, but so did 10 million other Americans. I taught music when I was younger for many years, but not even close to being able to make a living at it. It was a good part-time job though.

Good thing I never tried. Today, kids get on YouTube and try to learn everything that way as a shortcut. Many don't pursue it after a while because unlike video games and cell phones, you have to put in physical work to play an instrument. It takes time and dedication, something many younger people don't have today.

That's it. Her bedroom was always decorated with fish. She loved fish since a little girl, particularly dolphins.

They tell us the happiest people are those who like to do things as a hobby, and then find a way to make money at it. If you love what you do for a living, you never worked a day in your life.

Good theories to live by, however not applicable for most people. I used to love to play guitar, but so did 10 million other Americans. I taught music when I was younger for many years, but not even close to being able to make a living at it. It was a good part-time job though.

Good thing I never tried. Today, kids get on YouTube and try to learn everything that way as a shortcut. Many don't pursue it after a while because unlike video games and cell phones, you have to put in physical work to play an instrument. It takes time and dedication, something many younger people don't have today.

In an American with a better jobs and trade and immigration policy, the competition for decent jobs would be less. It would be easier to try for one of the cool jobs, such as "marine biologists" and if you failed, it would not ruin your life, because ever related niche would not be flooded with people who had been working that system since they were 3.

Yeah, exactly. By all means if you love doing something, and you can make the hobby into a career.... I'm all for it. Both my parents drove me crazy when I was younger, because they kept telling me they loved what they did so much, that every day was like a "kid at a playground" (which is how my father described himself at his job).

But that never happened for me. You just have to do, what you have to do. That's life. You can't make money on dreams.

Many don't pursue it after a while because unlike video games and cell phones, you have to put in physical work to play an instrument. It takes time and dedication, something many younger people don't have today

And I don't know how to fix that. I don't even know if it can be fixed.
Is there any way to teach dedication?

Ain't personal experience lovely? And so conveniently unverifiable? Well. don't look now, but you're prattling on exactly like feminists at a Liberal student bitchfest..
The personal is political, also termed The private is political, is a political argument used as a rallying slogan of student movement and second-wave feminism from the late 1960s. It underscored the connections between personal experience and larger social and political structures. In the context of the feminist movement of the 1960s and 1970s, it was a challenge to the nuclear family and family values.[1] The phrase has been repeatedly described as a defining characterization of second-wave feminism, radical feminism, women's studies, or feminism in general.[2][3]

The phrase, and the idea behind it, was developed in response to Liberal political theory which saw a division between the "public" sphere of politics and the state, and the "private" sphere of the home. In this conception of politics, the "private" sphere was a sphere which was apolitical; the Liberal belief in ensuring the maximum amount of liberty for individual citizens led to a Liberal consensus that the state should have as small a role as possible, and not interfere in the "private" lives of its citizens. Both the phrase and the idea behind"
{...}

Yeah, exactly. By all means if you love doing something, and you can make the hobby into a career.... I'm all for it. Both my parents drove me crazy when I was younger, because they kept telling me they loved what they did so much, that every day was like a "kid at a playground" (which is how my father described himself at his job).

But that never happened for me. You just have to do, what you have to do. That's life. You can't make money on dreams.

Many don't pursue it after a while because unlike video games and cell phones, you have to put in physical work to play an instrument. It takes time and dedication, something many younger people don't have today

Quite a number of people are making money off of playing video games now. ANd more would be, if YOUTUBE hadn't gone asshole.

No one saw that coming.

A while.

2. And even if it is as easy as you recall, A. Good for you, and B. does not help the vast majority that need at least 4 years.

1. Still the same number of credit hours is needed, that has not changed.

In an American with a better jobs and trade and immigration policy, the competition for decent jobs would be less. It would be easier to try for one of the cool jobs, such as "marine biologists" and if you failed, it would not ruin your life, because ever related niche would not be flooded with people who had been working that system since they were 3.

I don't think that the 5 million immigrants coming here from Uganda and so on, are tying up Marine Biologist jobs.

As for 'better jobs'. There is no magic method, or policy method, of forcing the economy to have better jobs.

There is no way to 'make better jobs'. There is no policy in government that is "now companies need to make better jobs", and then magically it happens.

The jobs that exist... are the jobs that exists. You can encourage growth of the economy, by reducing government burdens... but there is no method that makes Walmart decide "Hey we need fewer door greeters, and more chief executive engineer analysts!".

You can't make the economy produce the jobs you want. You need to gain the skills for the jobs that exist.

A while.

1. Still the same number of credit hours is needed, that has not changed.

1. All I know is I have heard a lot about people getting fucked, with last minute "need more classes" or "that credit doesn't count now, for bullshit reason".

2. And even if you are an incredible scholar, with a brain that would make Spock himself raise an eyebrow, so what? It does not mean that the people getting fucked, deserve it.

1. All I know is I have heard a lot about people getting fucked, with last minute "need more classes" or "that credit doesn't count now, for bullshit reason".

2. And even if you are an incredible scholar, with a brain that would make Spock himself raise an eyebrow, so what? It does not mean that the people getting fucked, deserve it.

1. It is their fault for not paying attention to their classes. When you start your degree you are given the exact requirements. They cannot change them once you start. Most of the time these things are a result of their own lack of attention to detail.

2. I am not. But I do work hard to accomplish my goals.

I don't think that the 5 million immigrants coming here from Uganda and so on, are tying up Marine Biologist jobs.

As for 'better jobs'. There is no magic method, or policy method, of forcing the economy to have better jobs.

There is no way to 'make better jobs'. There is no policy in government that is "now companies need to make better jobs", and then magically it happens.

The jobs that exist... are the jobs that exists. You can encourage growth of the economy, by reducing government burdens... but there is no method that makes Walmart decide "Hey we need fewer door greeters, and more chief executive engineer analysts!".

You can't make the economy produce the jobs you want. You need to gain the skills for the jobs that exist.

1. Immigrants is a broad category. The ones from Uganda might not be competing for marine biologists jobs. THe ones from China might be.

2. AND, people who were in jobs, like say, steel mills, when those jobs are outsourced or taken by immigrants from Uganda, might go back to get that marine biologist degree, they had always dreamed of.

3.Sure there are ways to "make better jobs". We have seen how policy over the last 50 years have made jobs worse. Let's try the opposite of that for a couple of generations and see what happens.

I think people in the generation above me just loved working and making a living. My father, a retired bricklayer for many years, loved his work in spite of how hard it was. We used to laugh and say that if Dad hit the lottery today, he'd probably be laying brick tomorrow. He just loved it.

I'm a truck driver because I always enjoyed driving, but if I don't get certified this year, and have to leave, I won't miss it one bit because it's still work. Because of medical conditions, government bureaucrats keep making it harder and harder on me to continue working. I was going to retire in 2.5 years anyway. But I may end up on disability before then which is just fine by me. Because of government, I'll be out of work for three weeks now. It's a shame, because I am really good at what I do.

Forum List

Back