am i alcoholic or .....???

sorry for bad english,
am i alcoholic?
1: i dont drink everyday .just4-5 day per week or maybe 3 day....
2:i dont drink in the morning and noon .just after dark..........
3:i drink very much when i drinking........for example 8 double glass whiskey or aragh(55%+) or maybe more ....15 double glass
but im ok.for example i dont do ....idiot . when im drunk.i can control myslef.everbody saying daniel is good ....
4: i can left it for few days or even months.for example i can . .... dont drink for next months. i havnt any physical problem .for example .when i gone to army by force ( it is rule in iran.every boy must serve in army for 18 months). i didnt drink for two months and i havnt any problem.but when i did back ....
i did drink 3 week !!!!

+ Im drunk now like last night and ............
but it is holiday( new year) in iran.

MANY OF my friends told me you are alcoholic. am i ?

if you have to ask, seek help. that isn't an insult. it's just fact
I believe the OP is asking for "help" this is just a step along the journey to finding an answer.

There are a number of definitions of alcoholism and my wife and I probably meet them all. We each drink about 1.5 liters of white wine ( our preference is Chardonnay) per day. ( That is one large bottle each) However, it does not interfere with any aspect of our lives. We do not get drunk...just "mellow" It does not have an effect any our relationship ( other than that we just have more fun with each other) we are in our late 60's and in great health: normal weight and BMI, normal liver enzymes, we work out daily and have good energy and do not wake up hung over. If we go out for the evening, we are able to limit our drinking so that we are not dangerous on the road. Neither of us ever had a DUI.

Admittedly, we can't fathom a day when we could not look forward to that late afternoon drink. And a meal without wine? Forget about it! So what? I like to quote WC Fields who said " I feel sorry for people who don't drink...when they get up in the morning, that's as good as it gets"

It is often said that addictions are progressive. It doesn't have to be that way . We actually used to drink much more, and do "other things" as well in our major party days. At this point, I feel that we have achieved a reasonable and manageable level of inebriation and we're just fine.

Alcoholics can be functional. My father was functional for years. It became a coping mechanism and eventually killed him though.
I was a functional alcohol addict for several years in my late teens-early 20s. I was drinking over a case of beer every day and I held 2-3 jobs and always performed well. I was a model employee.

I never missed work because of drinking until I quit drinking, cold turkey. I nearly died from alcohol withdrawal. I called 911 and was transported to the ER. I missed several days of work in a row at both of my jobs because I was hospitalized for several days.

I remember being in the bar when I was a young man and a woman told me she thought I was a drunk(or the town drunk). Strange as the only place I ever saw her was in a bar too.

There are a number of definitions of alcoholism and my wife and I probably meet them all. We each drink about 1.5 liters of white wine ( our preference is Chardonnay) per day. ( That is one large bottle each) However, it does not interfere with any aspect of our lives. We do not get drunk...just "mellow" It does not have an effect any our relationship ( other than that we just have more fun with each other) we are in our late 60's and in great health: normal weight and BMI, normal liver enzymes, we work out daily and have good energy and do not wake up hung over. If we go out for the evening, we are able to limit our drinking so that we are not dangerous on the road. Neither of us ever had a DUI.

Admittedly, we can't fathom a day when we could not look forward to that late afternoon drink. And a meal without wine? Forget about it! So what? I like to quote WC Fields who said " I feel sorry for people who don't drink...when they get up in the morning, that's as good as it gets"

It is often said that addictions are progressive. It doesn't have to be that way . We actually used to drink much more, and do "other things" as well in our major party days. At this point, I feel that we have achieved a reasonable and manageable level of inebriation and we're just fine.

Alcoholics can be functional. My father was functional for years. It became a coping mechanism and eventually killed him though.
I was a functional alcohol addict for several years in my late teens-early 20s. I was drinking over a case of beer every day and I held 2-3 jobs and always performed well. I was a model employee.

I never missed work because of drinking until I quit drinking, cold turkey. I nearly died from alcohol withdrawal. I called 911 and was transported to the ER. I missed several days of work in a row at both of my jobs because I was hospitalized for several days.

DTs can actually kill a person. If you drink a lot and you are going to quit drinking cold turkey, you should do so under the care of a physician.

DTs can actually kill a person. If you drink a lot and you are going to quit drinking cold turkey, you should do so under the care of a physician.

Yes it's very dangerous for them to just suddenly stop drinking, they need to do this in controlled environment. DTs due to alcohol withdrawal there will be treated with Benzodiazepines, which very well may be necessary to prevent death.

About 10% of alcoholics get the DTs, the death rate is about 35% without treatment and drops to about 15% with the above treatment, even very high doses of Benzodiazepines they can still succumb. The death is caused by their body temperature going very high leading to seizure and that's what kills them.

Alcohol is as dangerous for the human body system to withdraw from as Heroin is.

I knew that at the time. But after several unsuccessful attempts at trying to wean myself off of it by cutting down little by little, I just said enough is enough and decided to go cold turkey.

At the time I was very educated regarding the dangers of alcohol withdrawal to someone who drank as heavily as I did. I knew there was a chance that it could be serious.

So I knew I was in deep trouble and needed to call 911 when the symptoms started to get real bad. Looking back, I should have went to rehab rather than taking the chance of going into DTs.

Yes it's very dangerous for them to just suddenly stop drinking, they need to do this in controlled environment. DTs due to alcohol withdrawal there will be treated with Benzodiazepines, which very well may be necessary to prevent death.

About 10% of alcoholics get the DTs, the death rate is about 35% without treatment and drops to about 15% with the above treatment, even very high doses of Benzodiazepines they can still succumb. The death is caused by their body temperature going very high leading to seizure and that's what kills them.

Alcohol is as dangerous for the human body system to withdraw from as Heroin is.
It is more dangerous. You can feel sick as hell from herion withdrawal, but it isn't going to kill you.

sorry for bad english,
am i alcoholic?
3:i drink very much when i drinking........for example 8 double glass whiskey or aragh(55%+) or maybe more ....15 double glass
but im ok.for example i dont do ....idiot . when im drunk.i can control myslef.everbody saying daniel is good ....
4: i can left it for few days or even months.for example i can . .... dont drink for next months. i havnt any physical problem .for example .when i gone to army by force ( it is rule in iran.every boy must serve in army for 18 months). i didnt drink for two months and i havnt any problem.but when i did back ....
i did drink 3 week !!!!

I don't know if you're an alcoholic, but you are certainly drinking a damaging amount of whiskey. You need to cut that right back, IMHO, Dani.

sorry for bad english,
am i alcoholic?
i did drink 3 week !!!!

if you have to ask, seek help. that isn't an insult. it's just fact
I believe the OP is asking for "help" this is just a step along the journey to finding an answer.

which is why I gave the answer I did and specifically said it wasn't an insult. I understand he's having a rough time.

Dani, you sound like a heavy drinker, who may possibly have hit the point of functional alcoholism.

But, if you want to REALLY find out, try this simple test that a friend of mine told me about.

Drink 2 drinks per day, no more, no less, for 30 days. You cannot build up drinks for the weekend by skipping days during the week. 2 per day for 30 days.

If you can successfully do that, you are not an alcoholic. If not, you might want to do an honest self evaluation on your drinking.
sorry for bad english

dont drink for me is better than ..
2 drink per day.it is very hard for me.
i will be crazy if i ... 2 drink per day.i havnt problem for.. end it.for example .i can stop drink for 2 month and start it tomorrow .my problem is i like to be drunk. i dont enjoy anything very much .even sex.even listen to music.even eat food.
I think maybe you are depressed?

It is more dangerous. You can feel sick as hell from herion withdrawal, but it isn't going to kill you.

Well Heroin withdrawal not in a controlled environment also can kill you, but yes the rate isn't as high as for Alcohol withdrawal. The three drugs that have a high-rate of death when withdrawing from NOT in a controlled environment are:

Alcohol, Benzodiazepine addiction and Methadone addiction, the latter ironically given to people to get them off Heroin, but Methadone can be as addictive as Heroin and unlike Heroin, withdrawal from Methadone addiction not in a controlled environment has a high risk of death.

I worked food service at a VA hospital. Top floor was the psycho ward and it's where the druggies went. They had all kinds, heroin, pill and coke addicts. The worse one was an alkie. He had the DTs and shook BAD. We would serve him double portions. He didn't make it, but then again it was the VA.

I worked food service at a VA hospital. Top floor was the psycho ward and it's where the druggies went. They had all kinds, heroin, pill and coke addicts. The worse one was an alkie. He had the DTs and shook BAD. We would serve him double portions. He didn't make it, but then again it was the VA.

I know about this stuff because one of my brothers is a Doctor and I have a number of Uncle's also Doctor's and they've worked with people with these terrible illnesses and they ARE illnesses, addiction IS an illness. The people have lost control of the entire situation, the drug is now in control of them and the situation.

People say "if they wanted to stop they could", no, they WANT to stop, they know this stuff is going to kill them, but they're unable to stop because it's not in their control anymore.

sorry for bad english,
am i alcoholic?
i did drink 3 week !!!!

What type of programmes are in Tehran for people like you Dani? You know, it's not when you drink or what type of alcohol you drink, it's how MUCH you drink when you drink.

I know about this stuff because one of my brothers is a Doctor and I have a number of Uncle's also Doctor's and they've worked with people with these terrible illnesses and they ARE illnesses, addiction IS an illness. The people have lost control of the entire situation, the drug is now in control of them and the situation.

People say "if they wanted to stop they could", no, they WANT to stop, they know this stuff is going to kill them, but they're unable to stop because it's not in their control anymore.
I agree it's an illness but there is a bit of a risk just labeling it so. They get that way through abuse and that's voluntary, up to a point.

My younger brother quit cold turkey and had a gran mal seizure (sp?). Was able to quit with meds and AA but went back at it a couple of years later. Dropped dead in his kitchen from a heart attack.

I agree it's an illness but there is a bit of a risk just labeling it so. They get that way through abuse and that's voluntary, up to a point.

My younger brother quit cold turkey and had a gran mal seizure (sp?). Was able to quit with meds and AA but went back at it a couple of years later. Dropped dead in his kitchen from a heart attack.

That's what I said in my earlier post, cold turkey not in controlled environment is very dangerous. Of course, an alcoholic is always an alcoholic, they can have not had a drink for decades, but they'll always be an alcoholic, there's no such thing as an ex-alcoholic, because the craving will always be there, certain medications such as Librium aka Chlordiazepoxide can prevent them from actually drinking but the psychological craving is with them each day for the rest of their lives.

They always run risk of falling off the wagon like your brother, I'm sorry about your brother Iceweasel.

This nothing to do with alcoholism, but Librium when combined with Amitriptyline, this known as Limbitrol is very good for helping what they call NDPH - New Daily Persistent Headache Disorder - it mimics chronic Migraine and is there every day, it can last three days, the pain can then be intermittent and last more than 3 months. It happens without warning and has a rapid onset, it's one of the signs that it's NDPH.

So if anyone has what they think is NDPH, they might ask their Doctor about Limbitrol and see what he/she says.

You know, there are some things that can help lessen the withdrawl symptoms when you quit drinking.

Orange juice and chocolate. I knew some people who quit, but had a hard time with the cravings that came with quitting. Eating chocolate helps with the cravings, and orange juice will help to put back some of the vitamins and electrolytes that you've pissed out.

Dani, you sound like a heavy drinker, who may possibly have hit the point of functional alcoholism.

But, if you want to REALLY find out, try this simple test that a friend of mine told me about.

Drink 2 drinks per day, no more, no less, for 30 days. You cannot build up drinks for the weekend by skipping days during the week. 2 per day for 30 days.

If you can successfully do that, you are not an alcoholic. If not, you might want to do an honest self evaluation on your drinking.
sorry for bad english

dont drink for me is better than ..
2 drink per day.it is very hard for me.
i will be crazy if i ... 2 drink per day.i havnt problem for.. end it.for example .i can stop drink for 2 month and start it tomorrow .my problem is i like to be drunk. i dont enjoy anything very much .even sex.even listen to music.even eat food.
I think maybe you are depressed?
i dont know. but i havnt big problem in my life
i have good work.i have good friends.i have good family

Forum List

Back