America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt.

JohnPrewett

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thailand
"....America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt.
We may still be in this age, but the Trump election suggests an exhaustion with the idea of white guilt,
and with the drama of culpability, innocence and correctness in which it mires us.

White guilt is not actual guilt. Surely most whites are not assailed in the night by feelings of responsibility for America’s historical mistreatment of minorities.
Moreover, all the actual guilt in the world would never be enough to support the hegemonic power that the mere pretense of guilt has exercised in American life for the last half-century.

White guilt is not angst over injustices suffered by others; it is the terror of being stigmatized with America’s old bigotries—racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. ]
To be stigmatized as a fellow traveler with any of these bigotries is to be utterly stripped of moral authority and made into a pariah. The terror of this, of having “no name in the street” as the Bible puts it, pressures whites to act guiltily even when they feel no actual guilt.
White guilt is a mock guilt, a pretense of real guilt, a shallow etiquette of empathy, pity and regret.

It is also the heart and soul of contemporary liberalism.
This liberalism is the politics given to us by white guilt, and it shares white guilt’s central corruption. It is not real liberalism, in the classic sense. It is a mock liberalism.
Freedom is not its raison d’être (reason for being); moral authority is. ....."

The Exhaustion of American Liberalism

4bLu4l1.jpg

"....America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt.
We may still be in this age, but the Trump election suggests an exhaustion with the idea of white guilt,
and with the drama of culpability, innocence and correctness in which it mires us.

White guilt is not actual guilt. Surely most whites are not assailed in the night by feelings of responsibility for America’s historical mistreatment of minorities.
Moreover, all the actual guilt in the world would never be enough to support the hegemonic power that the mere pretense of guilt has exercised in American life for the last half-century.

White guilt is not angst over injustices suffered by others; it is the terror of being stigmatized with America’s old bigotries—racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. ]
To be stigmatized as a fellow traveler with any of these bigotries is to be utterly stripped of moral authority and made into a pariah. The terror of this, of having “no name in the street” as the Bible puts it, pressures whites to act guiltily even when they feel no actual guilt.
White guilt is a mock guilt, a pretense of real guilt, a shallow etiquette of empathy, pity and regret.

This liberalism is the politics given to us by white guilt, and it shares white guilt’s central corruption. It is not real liberalism, in the classic sense. It is a mock liberalism.

4bLu4l1.jpg
As I have said before, if there needs to be reparations for what was done to the slaves, then let the Democrat Party pay those reparations for it was the Southern White Democrats who had slaves leading into the Civil War, and wanted to keep them slaves during the war, and after the war, committed acts of TERROR upon the blacks after the war. Once this is announced, the Democrats would shut the fuck up about white guilt and reparations. Lets bankrupt the DNC and put the Democrats out of business. Demand that blacks get their reparations from the DNC..

4bLu4l1.jpg
I am white and I have no guilt.

I want the government to pay me for my family's suffering during Lincoln's War. Like many Americans living today, my ancestors fought to free the slaves and some died doing it. If blacks today are due reparations for slavery, then I am due hero worship for what my family did.

I am white and I have no guilt.

I want the government to pay me for my family's suffering during Lincoln's War. Like many Americans living today, my ancestors fought to free the slaves and some died doing it. If blacks today are due reparations for slavery, then I am due hero worship for what my family did.
I am also lily white and I also feel no guilt.

My ancestors did not get here until shortly after WW1.

But I do believe the American taxpayers do owe any and all Negroes a free ticket back to Africa.

My more radical friends who sometime even go to KKK meetings disagree with me on this however.

They want to make them all swim back.

However the most extreme radicals among them want to ship them all back in pine coffins.

Well seeing my birthplace is in Canada mean I do not share the guilt many white people in America might feel.

Not guilt here. Think its quit pathetic people still talk about it. Our last President was half black. And he only claimed the black half. That's basically a full black dude FFS... Time to grow the fuck up.

If blacks had enslaved whites, they wouldn't feel guilty or apologize for it. They'd say "Proves you're inferior".

Whites are morons.

I recognized this many years ago, it is the founding principle that PC is based upon and it is white liberals who wield it to set the black and white communities upon one another, every time someone on the right blames the black community for the white liberals "misdeeds" those tactic are validated.

The whole point of 'white guilt' is to shame white Americans....of course, it is a plot by the radical left to denigrate America, to bring it all down...man.

Well seeing my birthplace is in Canada mean I do not share the guilt many white people in America might feel.
We'll "axe" the Eskimos about that.
The Canadian Government Systematically Tortured And Abused Aboriginal Children For 100 Years

Part of the world history and you should worry about your own history here in the states when it come to how your past governments raped, genocide and stole the lands of many native tribes of America!

What is amazing to me is how white guilt progressive liberals focus on the plight of the slaves and how they were terribly mistreated and never once do any of you feel guilty about what your past governments and society did to Germans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Italians or the Native Population...

I guess when you can not enslave an entire segment of the population with government entitlements you then want to ignore the reality of this nation history and blacks were not the only group enslaved nor mistreated!

Those who subscribe to the idiocy of "white guilt" probably are convinced that:

A doctor should feel guilty because he is not a nurse.

A lawyer should feel guilty because he is not a paralegal.

A college professor should feel guilty because he is not a kindergarten teacher.

An architect should feel guilty because he is not a construction worker.

Jessye Norman should feel guilty because she is not Lady Gaga.

President Trump should feel guilty because she is not Obama.

The Canadian Government Systematically Tortured And Abused Aboriginal Children For 100 Years

Part of the world history and you should worry about your own history here in the states when it come to how your past governments raped, genocide and stole the lands of many native tribes of America!

What is amazing to me is how white guilt progressive liberals focus on the plight of the slaves and how they were terribly mistreated and never once do any of you feel guilty about what your past governments and society did to Germans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Italians or the Native Population...

I guess when you can not enslave an entire segment of the population with government entitlements you then want to ignore the reality of this nation history and blacks were not the only group enslaved nor mistreated!
Funny that you ignore your own if that sort of stuff motivates you.

No, I feel NO guilt. Why should I? What have I done to anyone?

You believe blacks have no guilt? Today or in the past? If so, youre a fool.

Funny that you ignore your own if that sort of stuff motivates you.

No, I feel NO guilt. Why should I? What have I done to anyone?

You believe blacks have no guilt? Today or in the past? If so, youre a fool.

Funny you told me how I should feel guilt over what Canada did, and yet tell me how I am ignoring this or that.

Tell me does Canada hold as much blood on it hands as the United States does when it come to the mistreatment of it native population!?!

You Americans love to lecture others how they should feel guilt while ignoring the fact that your government of the past would have made Hitler proud in the way they genocide and mistreated non-whites...

You must have some form of guilt seeing you want me to feel guilty of something!

As for the blacks, well they can either learn to adapt, live in the past or swim back to Africa all I care!

I owe them nothing nor do I owe you a damn thing either!

Forum List

Back