🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

America, why haven't you revolted yet?

Flopper you err by comparing such statistics. I would suggest that one in ten people are illiterate in the us today. That those who made it through the eighth grade back then were more educated than many college graduates today. That the work force had no need for more highly educated, they had a need for people,who wanted to work. That that generation created the greatest country in the world and began the march toward the greatest middle class the world has ever known. What are the figures about how us education compared to the rest of the world back then., I bet it was more egalitarian. 100 years ago monopolies were being busted and unions being created and ww1 was being won. We didn't have a perfect culture but we had a strong one and an education system tailored for the
times.Final Exam 8th Grade. Salina KS 1895

Please share with me your test results, this is not an open book test. As far away from schooling as I am I am sure I would flunk this one.

From Snopes:

What nearly all these pundits fail to grasp is "I can't answer these questions" is not the same thing as "These questions demonstrate that students in earlier days were better educated than today's students." Just about any test looks difficult to those who haven't recently been steeped in the material it covers. If a 40-year-old can't score as well on a geography test as a high school student who just spent several weeks memorizing the names of all the rivers in South America in preparation for an exam, that doesn't mean the 40-year-old's education was woefully deficient — it means the he simply didn't retain information for which he had no use, no matter how thoroughly it was drilled into his brain through rote memory some twenty-odd years earlier. I suspect I'd fail a lot of the tests I took back in high school if I had to re-takethem today without reviewing the material beforehand. I certainly wouldn't be able to pass any arithmetic test that required me to be familiar with such arcane measurements as "rods" and "bushels," but I can still calculate areas and volumes just fine, thank you.

Ah, but this is high school (or even eighth grade) stuff, people say — it's basic knowledge that everyone should remember and use. Nonsense. The questions on this exam don't reflect only items of "basic knowledge" — many of the questions require the test-taker to have absorbed some very specialized information, and if today's students can't regurgitate all the same facts as their 1895 counterparts, it's because the types of knowledge we consider to be important have changed a great deal in the last century, not necessarily because today's students have sub-standard educations.

Consider: To pass this test, no knowledge of the arts is necessary (not even a nodding familiarity with a few of the greatest works of English literature), no demonstration of mathematical learning other than plain arithmetic is required (forget algebra, geometry, or trigonometry), nothing beyond a familiarity with the highlights of American history is needed (never mind the fundamentals of world history, as this exam scarcely acknowledges that any country other than the USA even exists), no questions about the history, structure, or function of the United States government are asked (not even the standard "Name the three branches of our federal government"), science is given a pass except for a few questions about geography and the rudiments of human anatomy, and no competence in any foreign language (living or dead) is necessary. An exam for today's high school graduates that omitted even one of these subjects would be loudly condemned by parents and educators alike, subjects about which the Salina, Kansas, students of 1895 needed know nothing at all. Would it be fair to say that the average Salina student was woefully undereducated because he failed to learn many of the things that we consider important today, but which were of little importance in his time and place? If not, then why do people keep asserting that the reverse is true? Why do journalists continue to base their gleeful articles about how much more was expected of the students of yesteryear on flawed assumptions? Perhaps some people are too intent upon making a point to bother considering the proper questions.​
They teach more concepts today. For example, I just read over a paper my granddaughter wrote on the economic impact the civil war had on the South and the North. They seem to be teaching more about why events occurred and the impact of those events rather than just names, places, and dates.

A college education, when it prepares a person for a useful, productive role in civilized society IS a good thing.

A liberal indoctrination? Not so much.

Does America not yet have a sufficiency of Underwater Basket Weaver graduates?
There is always the dumb idea that so many people in college pursue useless degrees but in fact, 95% of all bachelors degrees are in the fields of business, social science, education, health professions, computer technology, engineering, biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.

A College Degree May Not Be Worth the Cost - US News

SAT scores are down and racial gaps remain insidehighered

U.S. Students Still Lag Behind Foreign Peers Schools Make Little Progress In Improving Achievement

Flopper yours sounds like a story of a decent school and parents and grand parents that care, the biggest indicator of success in school. But the 95 per cent thing is an awfully huge umbrella over everything. Basket weaving could be under education and the history of feminism could be under social sciences. There is no question that there are good areas of study just as there is no question there are useless areas of study. I can't believe I am quoting the huffington post but maybe even my liberal friends will finally admit the problem.

Lone I realize your omnipotence is granted from on high and there is no need to cut and paste or even create an argument to support your positions so please forgive me for presenting some facts and getting above my raising by daring to propose a position. I am not worthy.

Syn your post was very good. But by your own admission education is diluted. I don't think kids in 1900 were any smarter than today but they had less distractions, they were challenged, no they were expected to achieve and they did, and maybe most important they learned in an environment that didn't suffer any foolishness. Figures are epic on the remedial education needed by most entering college today.

Americans would revolt...but there are cat videos and celebrities eating bugs to watch.

Touché. Can't put enough "agrees" on this post.

"To me there's something incredibly sad about a bunch of human beings sitting down watching something take place. .... the spectacle of millions and millions of people sitting in movie theaters and in front of television sets every night, watching a second, or third-hand reproduction of reality going on, when the real world is right there in their living room, or right outside on the street or down the block somewhere... I think it's a tool to sonombulize or hypnotize people into kind of a waking sleep." -- Jim Morrison, interviewed in 1970

A College Degree May Not Be Worth the Cost - US News

SAT scores are down and racial gaps remain insidehighered

U.S. Students Still Lag Behind Foreign Peers Schools Make Little Progress In Improving Achievement

Flopper yours sounds like a story of a decent school and parents and grand parents that care, the biggest indicator of success in school. But the 95 per cent thing is an awfully huge umbrella over everything. Basket weaving could be under education and the history of feminism could be under social sciences. There is no question that there are good areas of study just as there is no question there are useless areas of study. I can't believe I am quoting the huffington post but maybe even my liberal friends will finally admit the problem.

Lone I realize your omnipotence is granted from on high and there is no need to cut and paste or even create an argument to support your positions so please forgive me for presenting some facts and getting above my raising by daring to propose a position. I am not worthy.

Syn your post was very good. But by your own admission education is diluted. I don't think kids in 1900 were any smarter than today but they had less distractions, they were challenged, no they were expected to achieve and they did, and maybe most important they learned in an environment that didn't suffer any foolishness. Figures are epic on the remedial education needed by most entering college today.
The average cost of a college education today at an in state public college is about $91,300. The students that choose majors with little or no job opportunities are those whose parents can afford to send them to college.

What s the Price Tag for a College Education - COLLEGEdata - Pay Your Way

Hmmm...I think I see your problem. It isn't so much that you don't understand what you read, it's more that you only read into it what you want to read. It's what makes you such an idiot. Thanks for clearing it up.

Where am I wrong, big fella?

I already told you. You're wrong by reading into it only what you want to.

What do you mean when you say that "there are some of us who believe a revolution is needed"? What is supposed to be read into a statement like that?

Would you like to retract it? Modify it? Anything?

That needs explaining? Let me lead you by the hand, and I do this only because I'm bored right now but inhold no illusions that you will be able to see anything but what you want to see.

Do not read anything into it. It simply means that some of us believe a revolution is needed. Ok?

You are afraid to say what you mean? Of course you are.
It means he is a pussy teaper who will threaten violence every time they lose an election.

I'm just curious, why does some little foreign Internet puke think he/ she has the right to tell us how to think, and/ or how to get our own house in order?

Fuck you.
Probably a fucking canadian.

I'm just curious, because all the news I see says that your economy is in the toilet due to out of control defense spending that nobody seems to want, your politicians seem to be a collection of the finest assholes known to mankind, your healthcare system is so bad that people can't afford to get sick in any way, every year your educational system seems to get worse, unemployment or under-employment plagues every state, and people are in debt up to their eyeballs. On top of this, your police force is getting more aggressive against the common man who wants to voice his displeasure at this system that is leaving the populace to starve, and the freedoms that the rest of the world used to admire about America are being stripped from you. Why do you suffer all these troubles? Where is your reaction?
AmericanRevolt.jpg

If anyone is starving in the US it is because they want too, not because there isn't FREE food for them to eat. Defense spending is what the President requests in his budget every year, and it is in our Constitution to provide for the common defense. Are you suggesting we impeach the President for requesting too much money for defense?

We're a culture in decay, this is what it looks like.

I'll bet you a dollar that, politics be damned, the next twenty years ROCK :rock:

I wouldn't count on it.
I disagree.

And, like most of you, I'm betting my retirement on America's next generation.

If you can't help America - please don't stand in the way.

Well, then you best just kick back until Obama is done. Just saying

-Geaux

I'm just curious, because all the news I see says that your economy is in the toilet due to out of control defense spending that nobody seems to want, your politicians seem to be a collection of the finest assholes known to mankind, your healthcare system is so bad that people can't afford to get sick in any way, every year your educational system seems to get worse, unemployment or under-employment plagues every state, and people are in debt up to their eyeballs. On top of this, your police force is getting more aggressive against the common man who wants to voice his displeasure at this system that is leaving the populace to starve, and the freedoms that the rest of the world used to admire about America are being stripped from you. Why do you suffer all these troubles? Where is your reaction?
AmericanRevolt.jpg

What reaction would you like to see? Armed revolt? Because if that's the solution then there was never any point to having a representative form of government.

Where am I wrong, big fella?

What do you mean when you say that "there are some of us who believe a revolution is needed"? What is supposed to be read into a statement like that?

That needs explaining? Let me lead you by the hand, and I do this only because I'm bored right now but inhold no illusions that you will be able to see anything but what you want to see.

Do not read anything into it. It simply means that some of us believe a revolution is needed. Ok?

It means he is a pussy teaper who will threaten violence every time they lose an election.

Another shining example of my point. Thanks.

Point being that you are a pussy?

Point being that you are a pussy?

Lol. Oh Internet tough guy, I'm so scared. You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. Are you stupid because you are illiterate, or are you illiterate because you are stupid?

Forum List

Back