American devotion to religion is waning, according to new study

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Little by little religion will become a thing of the past.

American devotion to religion is waning, according to new study

The study published in the American Journal of Sociology shows a drop in the number of Americans who claim religious affiliations, attend church regularly and believe in God. It also finds that these drops are driven by generational differences.

Professor David Voas (UCL Institute of Education) said: “These declines aren’t happening fast, but the signs are now unmistakable. It has become clear that American religiosity has been declining for decades, and the decline is driven by the same dynamic of generational change that has driven religious decline across the developed world.”

The study examined US data from the General Social Survey (GSS), which is conducted every two years, and compared it with similarly broad data from Great Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The results show that people have slowly become less religious over time.

According to the study, 68% Americans aged 65 and over said they had no doubt God existed compared to 45% of young adults, aged 18-30. 41% of people 70 and older said they attend church services at least once a month, compared to 18% of people 60 and below.

Professor Mark Chaves (Duke University), the study’s other author, said: “The US decline has been so gradual that until recently scientists haven’t had enough data to be sure the trend was real. The US has long been considered an exception to the modern claim that religion is declining, but if you look at the trajectory, and the generational dynamic that is producing the trajectory, we may not be an exception after all.”

Try visiting Western Europe, and go to church on any given Sunday. The church will be only 20% occupied, and the people in the pews will be (a) white-haired old people, (b) a few young women with children (mainly Portuguese, Philippina, etc), and (c) American tourists.

The typical German, Austrian, French, Scandanavian, Spanish, or Italian adult NEVER goes to church, in spite of the fact that some countries make it mandatory that they identify a church when hired, and make a regular donation through payroll deduction.

Most of the American "intelligencia" considers religion to be nothing more than an irritation.

Which is all the more reason why good people need to re-focus on religion, morality, and properly nurturing the next generation(s).

As humanity evolves

9d0b68d428f3898f7c34babad39f97f1.jpg

America is waning, no coincidence either
Could we expound on that perhaps?

The 50’s --- America is waning
The 60’s --- America is degenerating
The 70’s and 80’s --- America is decaying
The 90’s and 00’s --- America is plummeting
The last decade --- America is imploding

no doubt. that's why this Society has gone to hell and is taking this country down with them. look at them fighting to save an animal and then in the next breath, stand and fight for the right to kill the unborn human being with more viciousness.

I lived in the good times. I just worry for my children, grandchildren, etc

America is waning, no coincidence either
Could we expound on that perhaps?

The 50’s --- America is waning
The 60’s --- America is degenerating
The 70’s and 80’s --- America is decaying
The 90’s and 00’s --- America is plummeting
The last decade --- America is imploding

As humanity evolves

Humanity is "evolving"? Really? What new features have you "evolved", bat-like echo location, wings to fly, digestive tract that eliminates the need for liquid waste?

As humanity evolves

Evolutionist high priest Richard Dawkins says in his book - - - "Natural selection is the blind watchmaker, blind because it does not see ahead, does not plan consequences, has no purpose in view. Yet the living results of natural selection overwhelmingly impress us with the appearance of design as if by a master watchmaker, impress us with the illusion of design and planning.”

“the illusion of design.” --- LOL!!

As humanity evolves

Evolutionist high priest Richard Dawkins says in his book - - - "Natural selection is the blind watchmaker, blind because it does not see ahead, does not plan consequences, has no purpose in view. Yet the living results of natural selection overwhelmingly impress us with the appearance of design as if by a master watchmaker, impress us with the illusion of design and planning.”

what the hell does that have to do with this thread? are you ever able to stay on topic?

As humanity evolves

what the hell does that have to do with this thread? are you ever able to stay on topic?

I guess I never cared one way or another.
Although I have always been a little surprised how much angst such a thing caused in others?

Incidentally, I posted to the topic in post #5. I took the liberty in post #8 to address guno and discrediting his source for his defense, richard dawkins. Seriously? These deviations cause you that much agitation?

Last edited:
As humanity evolves

to funny, crazy word salad trailer park dweller

As humanity evolves

to funny, crazy word salad trailer park dweller

I would live to see a real photo of your to see if you are really a robot or maybe a creepy spirit? No one can be that wrong and that malevolent all of the time.

Forum List

Back