American's and their military; drifting apart

A very Northeastern perception.

In the South, there isn't a gap between military and civilians.

I'd say one out of every six men over 30 in my town is a veteran.

Up North, you might feel divorced from military members...but don't misconstrue your personal experience with that of the rest of the country.

The entire country...Less than 3% of this country's population joins our all volunteer military.

In Missouri, 11% of the population are military veterans...and those veterans are concentrated in the more rural areas.

The number of Veterans in Missouri is 495,420. The Veterans make up 10.9% of the 4,555,615 Civilian Population (18 Years and Older).

I have no need of the stats personally...all that is required is a trip to the Legion Hall.

How old are they, darlin'? They in their 30s? How many had been drafted at one time?

America itself is drifting apart. The military is just reflecting divisions already present. If someone no longer feels any connection to the country, that person is not likely to join the military.

The entire country...Less than 3% of this country's population joins our all volunteer military.

In Missouri, 11% of the population are military veterans...and those veterans are concentrated in the more rural areas.
The number of Veterans in Missouri is 495,420. The Veterans make up 10.9% of the 4,555,615 Civilian Population (18 Years and Older).

I have no need of the stats personally...all that is required is a trip to the Legion Hall.

How old are they, darlin'? They in their 30s? How many had been drafted at one time?

They run the gambit. I'm 41 and I'd say that would be around the median age, maybe 45. Some draftees, but mostly volunteers.

Last edited:
The gap is not between the military and the citizens, the gap is between the military and the current government.

Maybe our government should stop using the military for it's dumbass social experiments, like letting butt poking fag boys serve openly in it, or outlawing Christian services and calling a radical, allah akbar screaming muslim gunning down our troops, work place violence. Our military is losing it's back bone, it's identity as an ass kicking, rough and tough, fighting force. Now it's homos and political correctness, and I know who we can thank for that BULL SHIT... LIBERALS... :up_yours:

Southerners make the mistake often (I know, I lived among them for more than thirty years) believe they are the reflection of the American mainstream, when, in fact, they are the outstream most of the time.

What a completely biased, and inaccurate, generalization. I thought you were better than that, snake jockey.

Southerners make the mistake often (I know, I lived among them for more than thirty years) believe they are the reflection of the American mainstream, when, in fact, they are the outstream most of the time.

What a completely biased, and inaccurate, generalization. I thought you were better than that, snake jockey.

What? That I won't tell the truth? There is much to admire among the folks in the South, but, no, they are not the mainstream of Americanism and have not been since 1860.

This is what frightens liberals.

E8F05D884C7E78E45A200DC953ED3854.gif

Don't be afraid, the Southern bogeyman isn't going to get you.

No need to try to rile folks up on Memorial Day.

Well no..it isn't "frightening". Not at all.

My Grandfather served in WWII. My uncle served in Korea. My father tried to join up to serve in Vietnam but was rejected because of childhood diabetes.

I came pretty close to enlisting in the airforce but 2 things kept me out, my father died and my mother wanted me around...and they were hemming and hawing about the length of service and pilot training.

Most liberals are well acquainted with the military.

Forum List

Back