Americans vs. Government

Willa Cather was a lesbian. Your conservative pals consider her a pervert, not an American.

And, as is typical of the liberal mentality, you equate a person's observation to their person. In other words, when a conservative voices an opinion (that you don't like) you attack the person's character. In your post above you assume that conservatives think like you do -- but we don't. I don't have to accept the lesbian lifestyle to admire something a lesbian says or does in other areas of her life. I happen to like Elton John music but I don't accept his lifestyle.

Conservatives wouldn't give Willa Cather her full rights and privileges as an American and conservatives would want the GOVERNMENT to assure she wouldn't get them.

I guess that's the distinction between Americans vs. GOVERNMENT that the author of this thread is accidentally pointing out.

"Conservatives wouldn't give Willa Cather her full rights and privileges as an American...."

See what I mean about this lying loser.....

"Willa Cather was a lesbian. "

And you are an imbecile.

What do either have to do with the OP?

Changing the subject to create an opportunity to display his hyperpartisanship was the whole purpose.

If Willa Cather is the subject, how can reminding or advising people of something about Willa Cather be changing the subject?

Willa Cather is not the subject.

You went to government schools, huh.

Willa Cather was a lesbian. Your conservative pals consider her a pervert, not an American.

And, as is typical of the liberal mentality, you equate a person's observation to their person. In other words, when a conservative voices an opinion (that you don't like) you attack the person's character. In your post above you assume that conservatives think like you do -- but we don't. I don't have to accept the lesbian lifestyle to admire something a lesbian says or does in other areas of her life. I happen to like Elton John music but I don't accept his lifestyle.

Conservatives wouldn't give Willa Cather her full rights and privileges as an American and conservatives would want the GOVERNMENT to assure she wouldn't get them.

I guess that's the distinction between Americans vs. GOVERNMENT that the author of this thread is accidentally pointing out.

duplicate post

Last edited:

She had the exact same "rights and privileges" as any other American woman at the time.

Last edited:
The concept of America versus the government is ridiculous. Our government, thanks to the founders, is made up of We the People.

What sort of homage did the government pay to the progeny of those settlers?

4. " I can imagine how angry I would be if the federal government forced me off land I felt belonged to me. All the more if it was land my father ranched, and his father before him; land I raised my children on; land containing generations of blood, sweat and tears my family had spent maintaining and improving.

I’d be angry to have that land taken away, particularly for the supposed purpose of protecting a tortoise.... a tortoise that was endangered enough to confiscate my land, but not so endangered that the government approved construction of a solar power facility nearby; a tortoise for which there is no scientific proof that cattle ranching is incompatible.

5. Bundy is the Nevada rancher battling the Federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to keep his cattle on public land his family has grazed since 1877. His case has raised questions about government overreach and states’ rights—or lack thereof.Is Nevada even really a state if the federal government “owns” 85 percent of the land within its borders?Bundy asks.

6. Bundy and his family ranched in Nevada’s Gold Butte for almost 70 years before theBLM even existed. .... ranchers, were induced to settle the area with the promise of free grazing land with no fees or limitations. It was part of the government’s plan to develop the West—....

7.... there used to be 51 ranchers in Gold Butte; now he’s the last one....The feds regulated them out of business.

8.....a stubborn rancher refusing to comply with a law he sees as unjust, to one about an increasingly militarized government, and politicians that selectively enforce the law.

9. .... —helicopters, off-road vehicles, fixed-wing aircraft and all. They closed down a whopping 322,000 acres of public land to track down 500 head of trespassing cattle. From then on, these federal bureaucrats were the law in town.

10. ....why do unelected, government-appointed bureaucrats have their own private militarized police force that supposedly supersedes the authority of local police? "

Outlaws - theTrumpet.com

"... but if you're bashing America,...."

Kinda early for you to be hitting the bottle, konny....

Did you see this: "...gave birth to the greatest nation that history had ever seen."

You should have: After all, you included it in your post.

So I cut out the self-serving window dressing. You're bashing Americans. If I'm hitting the bottle, you've got a lot to do with it. I'm getting sick of your two-faced method of posting.

So I cut out the self-serving window dressing. You're bashing Americans. If I'm hitting the bottle, you've got a lot to do with it. I'm getting sick of your two-faced method of posting.

Beating a hasty retreat?

Good move.

I love America.

It is possible that you stumbled into the wrong thread....or, if that is not the case, focus like a laser and articulate how this post relates to the thread.

It seems to be a regular problem for government school grads to actually put their thoughts into cogent form.

But....do your best.

She had the exact same "rights and privileges" as any other American woman at the time.

I guess that's supposed to mean something. Willa Cather was gay. She liked wearing men's clothes and preferred to be called 'Will'. Modern day conservatives are willing to go so far as to amend the Constitution to keep a person like her from marrying another woman.

And you do it while spouting off about liberty and individualism.

Let me remind the readers that PC never pointed out the sexual orientation of the person. In fact, PC held her up as a fine example of what Americans USED to be.

The problem is that people like NYCarbineer can't see past sexual orientation.

I'm not the one trying to keep gays in a second class citizen status.

If PC wants to use Willa Cather as one of her props, it's best you bigots at least know what you're cheering for.

Americans are those who recognize, respect, defend and adhere to the principles that define America. The principles that define America are those set forth in the charter of American principles, which declared such as the authority on which the founders of the United States dared to separate themselves from the only government they had ever known.

That authority was no less than the Creator of the Universe; Nature's God and the immutable laws governing humanity and the consequences for our behavior.

Americans are now a stark minority in the United States and this means that when it comes down to it, it will be closer to a fair fight. And this without regard to the certainty that the Left will never cease claiming that we, the Americans, are employing 'disproportional force' and 'extreme measures', in our relentless, unmerciful pursuit to free ourselves of the dead weight which never stops usurping our means exercise our rights and to govern ourselves through soundly reasoned, sustainable standards and to run their sorry butts out of this nation.

Of course the coolest part will be listening to the Mexicans cry about the invasion of dead beats..., but we don't have to go there, unless ya wanna. ;)

Last edited:
Depends on the time period. But after the Civil War the Republicans embarked on a program to make make America whole again, and such things as the Homestead Act and Morrill Act were passed. Live on the land for five years, pay a small fee and the 160 acres were yours. The Morrill Act gave federal land to the States to use to finance public education.

Didn't most of the settlers of Nebraska get their land FREE from the GOVERNMENT?

When one is as enamored with the worship of government...as you are, one forgets the source of government's authority.

The government has turned on the people who established this nation.

Through the use of taxation and regulation, it has assumed tacit ownership of all private property....

And this is why that is so important:

11." Probably impossible to find any society that has never been involved in slavery, either as slaves or as slave-owners.
Now…why is that? It is because slavery is the ground floor of economic development. The concepts is best understood when one realized the concept of collateral in business ventures. A fundamental principle of our society is property rights. When property rights have not been formally established, the costs of legally validating ownership of a home, a farm, or a business may be prohibitively expensive relative to the average income level, a crippling handicap for those seeking to rise from poverty to prosperity.

Without property rights, one with entrepreneurial talents loses the access to other people’s money: homes or other assets not recognized by a legal system cannot be used as collateral. What, then is the very least that one can own? Yes….their body. One can promise servitude…or be made to give same.

Property rights precede liberty. Perhaps some know that before it became “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” in our Declaration of Independence, John Locke wrote that man has a right to “life, liberty, and property.” Property Rights Have Personal Parallels - Forbes

a. The environmental movement is based on voiding of property rights. Land which is not public can be so bound by regulation that it ceases to be private property. In effect, the handmaiden of collectivism, environmentalism’s claim to be of a higher value is a step backward….toward a time when slavery was common.

The concept of America versus the government is ridiculous. Our government, thanks to the founders, is made up of We the People.

Right!! The Federal Government was established and ratified by the states. We find ourselves in a different circumstance today.....Our Constitution gives us a way out.....brownie points to anyone who can cite said way out....

Today, the Federal Government reigns over us all, and in very big and growing ways. We have lost something very, very important to humanity along this dangerous, progressive path.

that is well said

Willa Cather is not the subject.

You went to government schools, huh.

Oh really? Then I guess you brought her up in your first post in order to deflect from the topic of your thread?

lol, that's a good one even for you. Usually you wait a few posts before you change the subject of your own threads.

What a moron. Willa Cather was a wonderful writer who is appreciated by many people of all political views.

Depends on the time period. But after the Civil War the Republicans embarked on a program to make make America whole again, and such things as the Homestead Act and Morrill Act were passed. Live on the land for five years, pay a small fee and the 160 acres were yours. The Morrill Act gave federal land to the States to use to finance public education.

So in brief, the author of this thread is just beating the carcass of a long dead myth.

Forum List

Back