An Observation/Question

An argument that has come and gone for as long as I have been on message boards. There is merit to each side of the argument.

On one side, you always have some that you know by their posts accept the responsibility that goes with free speech arguing against any restriction. The flaw to their argument are the people who see an internet message board as a way to act like complete asses without being held accountable for their actions. Nothing REAL is going to happen to them. They get banned and move on. In the meantime, they've left a pile of shit in our sandbox.

On the other side, you have those that want speech restricted to only that which they agree with and label everything else "trolling" and ban-able.
Ones who see message boards which are owned by for-profit companies or private individuals as "free speech zones" don't know the first flippin thing about our Constitution. One would suppose they would not only invite me into their home, but they would have no problem with me smearing my shit on their walls, pissing on their carpet, fucking their wife and kicking their dog.... Drinking all their beer, and kicking holes in their walls. All because I have "free speech."

This is how stupid the "free speech" argument on message boards is.

For the record, I NEVER smeared shit on your walls, pissed on your carpet, kicked your dog, drank your beer or kicked holes in your walls.
:rofl:

there are just issues that will never seemingly be resolved....and it is a shame....cause they become simply issues of distraction....they are not important...but are straws grasped out by both sides to keep from dealing with reality....

face it ...if the fact fairy wondered in here....she would be beat to death...with a stick...all the while the people doing the beat down would claim to know the "truth"

An argument that has come and gone for as long as I have been on message boards. There is merit to each side of the argument.

On one side, you always have some that you know by their posts accept the responsibility that goes with free speech arguing against any restriction. The flaw to their argument are the people who see an internet message board as a way to act like complete asses without being held accountable for their actions. Nothing REAL is going to happen to them. They get banned and move on. In the meantime, they've left a pile of shit in our sandbox.

On the other side, you have those that want speech restricted to only that which they agree with and label everything else "trolling" and ban-able.
Ones who see message boards which are owned by for-profit companies or private individuals as "free speech zones" don't know the first flippin thing about our Constitution. One would suppose they would not only invite me into their home, but they would have no problem with me smearing my shit on their walls, pissing on their carpet, fucking their wife and kicking their dog.... Drinking all their beer, and kicking holes in their walls. All because I have "free speech."

For the record, I NEVER smeared shit on your walls, pissed on your carpet, kicked your dog, drank your beer or kicked holes in your walls.

link?
:lol:

But did you fuck his wife?

You've hit on something MM... is what you described as "free speech" what you think "free speech" is?
If you are in MY home or on my property, your "free speech" is what I SAY it is at any given time. If I don't like what you have to say, how you act, what you do or how you look, I am well within my rights to remove you.

Same thing holds true for message boards and their owners and staff.

Aaaahh... point taken.

I am the lucky individual who, for the most part, moved the threads around in the board. I can't imagine why I would think yet another thread on healthcare reform belongs in the healthcare subforum, but there you have it.

A trend I have noticed ... and for you literalists not each and every instance -- in general ...
is that the majority of rightwingnut threads get moved to conspiracy theories while the majority of leftwingnut threads get moved to teh Flame Zone, Lame Zone, or Trash. Only because we don't have a "Outright Stupid Partisan Blather" subforum.

Anyone want to take a stab at why this trend might exist?

Shouldn't this thread be in "General Discussion" rather than "Politics"?

This is the way I see it: If you enter my house (member of board) and then use the bathroom (enter a thread), use an entire full roll of toilet paper (post in thread in wrong sub forum), in the toilet and all over the floor (not give a crap *pun intended* of the mess you are leaving). Be prepared when you come out to lose respect and be called out for your action.

This is the way I see it: If you enter my house (member of board) and then use the bathroom (enter a thread), use an entire full roll of toilet paper (post in thread in wrong sub forum), in the toilet and all over the floor (not give a crap *pun intended* of the mess you are leaving). Be prepared when you come out to lose respect and be called out for your action.

So...does that mean that if I literally go into your house and crap on your floor, you'll lose respect for me?

This all sounds like it requires effort.

Therefore I have to be against it on principle.
tipping_point.jpg

So...does that mean that if I literally go into your house and crap on your floor, you'll lose respect for me?
I would tar and feather you infront of everyone! :lol:

I would tar and feather you infront of everyone! :lol:

Actually, that wouldn't be so bad for me.

My back needs a good tarring, as the hair is getting out of control!

I am the lucky individual who, for the most part, moved the threads around in the board. I can't imagine why I would think yet another thread on healthcare reform belongs in the healthcare subforum, but there you have it.

A trend I have noticed ... and for you literalists not each and every instance -- in general ...
is that the majority of rightwingnut threads get moved to conspiracy theories while the majority of leftwingnut threads get moved to teh Flame Zone, Lame Zone, or Trash. Only because we don't have a "Outright Stupid Partisan Blather" subforum.

Anyone want to take a stab at why this trend might exist?

My theory... Rightwingnuts ( not ALL but many ) tend to have more sequential thought patterns. They take one "fact" and find the connections to grow it into a reasonable argument. One doesn't have to agree with the argument, but can still recognize it's legitimacy.
Leftwingnuts ( not ALL but many ) tend to have more spatial thought patterns. They take one "fact" and then pull ( to sequential thinkers ) random items that appear to have no connection to support their "fact". Since most sequential thinkers can't find a pattern there, it looks as if it's just random crap designed to piss people off or just too stupid to deal with.
My guess Gunny is that your thinking pattern is more sequential and just recognizes the spatial crap for what it is. :)

Forum List

Back