An Ohio freshman died after drinking a bottle of liquor in a frat hazing. Now 8 men face charges.

I don't see any reason for "leniency". I more or less walked away from my fraternity over this issue after I was unable to convince people to stop doing the crap they were doing with pledges. I didn't officially quit. I just stopped participating in anything, wearing their letters, and calling myself a member. It wasn't just having a good time and drinking too much. There seemed to be a growing cruelty about the things pledges were coerced into doing. My chapter got suspended a couple times and eventually disbanded by the national office. Fortunately, nobody ever died, but that was more dumb luck than anything else.

The University administration is also responsible. Anyone who actually drinks a fifth just because they are asked to, and doesn't consider the possible consequences, really should have never been matriculated. They just aren't smart enough for college.

These "kids" are old enough to vote and to serve in the military. They are old enough to be punished for cruelty to their fellow man.

Unless they force-fed the booze to the pledges, I can't see where the fraternity is responsible.

The University administration is also responsible. Anyone who actually drinks a fifth just because they are asked to, and doesn't consider the possible consequences, really should have never been matriculated. They just aren't smart enough for college.

I'm not sure how the university could have known he would risk his life to join an organization.

The days of hazing should be long gone.

These "kids" are old enough to vote and to serve in the military. They are old enough to be punished for cruelty to their fellow man.

Unless they force-fed the booze to the pledges, I can't see where the fraternity is responsible.

Providing alcohol to minors may not send them to prison, but it is a start.

Plus, hazing is illegal. And this was certainly a hazing.

At least they should have had the pledge throw up. When I earned my "Dolphins" I followed through with the old tradition of drinking my dolphins. A beer pitcher filled half full with beer and then filled the rest of the way with liquor. Drink the entire pitcher and catch the dolphins in your mouth. And then you go and throw up. To avoid alcohol poisoning.

I'm not sure how the university could have known he would risk his life to join an organization.

The days of hazing should be long gone.
The things the young and stupid will do to "belong."

I was only in academic frats. Never saw the need for the social ones as I always made friends rather easily.

God I hope this was not one of the 3 Jewish fraternities

Thanks for the update. I graduated from BGSU ages ago and read of the incident soon after it occurred back in early March but I hadn't kept up,

I listened to 911 call from the incident and watched the county's prosecutor's statement. I find it hard to feel much leniency is in order for those "kids". To dump him off back in his apartment alone, providing misinformation to the police, tossing away evidence is just too much additional crap that went on beyond having him drink a 5th of hard liquor for their entertainment. I wouldn't toss the book at them, but on a punishment scale of 1 to 10, somewhere between 3 and 4 seems appropriate. Which may be lenient.

Press Conference: 8 indicted in death of Stone Foltz (toledoblade.com)

The college sure is different than when I attended, but one thing has been constant - fraternity's suck.

1619926629494.png

Last edited:
They say the judgment center of the brain doesnt fully mature in the average person until age 25, which is why the high school/college years can be so dangerous

Even better: Hold the kid who stupidly, willingly, drank himself to death against every urging of common sense just because a few frat kids told him to responsible.

Even better: Hold the kid who stupidly, willingly, drank himself to death against every urging of common sense just because a few frat kids told him to responsible.

Since the worst of the charges against the 8 are not capital offenses, I think the kid who was stupid enough to drink a 5th of hard liquor has been punished already.

Since the worst of the charges against the 8 are not capital offenses, I think the kid who was stupid enough to drink a 5th of hard liquor has been punished already.

Of that there can be no doubt. But I still hold HIM as being primarily responsible. No one forced him.

Of that there can be no doubt. But I still hold HIM as being primarily responsible. No one forced him.

Nope. He was foolish to put his trust in his fraternity brothers. But the failure of the frat bros bears responsibility.

Forum List

Back