And right on the heels of the Tessa Majors mugging and murder.............

15-Year-Old Boy Accused of Beating NYC Man to Death for $1 on Christmas Eve

What to Know
  • 15-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the beating death of a 60-year-old man on Christmas Eve in a violent robbery attempt caught on camera over $1, police say
  • The arrest is the second in connection to the brutal case. Abu Conteh, 18, was s also arrested and charged New Year’s Eve with murder and various counts of gang assault, police said
  • A 60-year-old man, identified by police as Juan Fresnada was leaving a Bronx McDonald’s Dec. 24, 2019 with his partner when a group of men attacked – and no one intervened to help -- the NYPD said
A 15-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the beating death of a 60-year-old man on Christmas Eve in a violent robbery attempt caught on camera over $1, police say.

The 60-year-old man, identified by police as Juan Fresnada, of the Bronx, was leaving a Bronx McDonald’s Dec. 24, 2019 with his partner when a group of men attacked – and no one intervened to help -- the NYPD said.

This topic is, of course, the elephant in the American room.

Most people do not discuss this topic in public.

It is a very hurtful topic.

Some years back, my local newspaper (I canceled my subscription last year because of its extreme liberal bias) reported that "young men" were robbing pedestrians at night on the side streets of a fashionable district here in Los Angeles. Many readers wanted to know the ethnicity of those "young men" so that they could be extra careful when walking in the area. Finally, the paper relented and reported those young men's ethnicity.

I can understand that at times, it is racist. For example: "The three suspects in police custody are Tom, Dick, and Harry, the last one being a Martian." Since they are already in custody, it is gratuitous to report Harry's ethnicity.

In the case of the fashionable Los Angeles street, however, it was important news. It would help pedestrians to narrow down the possibilities.

In the case of the attackers in the OP, there is a video. Therefore, there is, in my opinion, no need to refer to their ethnicity. It only unnecessarily hurts that ethnicity's feelings. People are not stupid. When they read, for example, that a store clerk has been robbed and murdered, they make certain assumptions, which -- sadly -- often turn out to be true.

NYPD arrests two more teen suspects in fatal beating and $1 robbery

The New York Police Department has arrested two more suspects in the fatal beating of a 60-year-old man on Christmas Eve from whom they allegedly robbed $1, according to Detective Sophia Mason.

A 15-year-old male was arrested on Monday and a 14-year-old male was arrested on Friday, Mason said. Both were charged with murder and gang assault, Mason said.

Both teenagers were arrested in the Bronx and it is unknown whether either of them has an attorney. Representatives for the Bronx District Attorney's Office and the Bronx Family Court did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.

NYPD arrests two teen suspects in fatal beating and $1 robbery

Forum List

Back