Animal friendships

I'll try. The buzzards get a little spooked when I try to photo them as me walking toward them is seen as a threat I guess. I call them buzzards but they are really black vultures. The turkey buzzards sometimes show up but they don't socialize or stay long. I am pretty close to an interstate connector with lots of woods and such so the big birds hang out waiting for food to be roadkilled. They started roosting about 5 years ago when we had something kill two large elm trees. They started sitting up in them. After I cut them down, the damn birds just kept coming back. They are worse in winter than summer though. I have had as many as 50, but only a couple are here everyday all year. They are mostly here in the mornings when it is cold as they sun themselves on my roofs and open field to warm up. When it is scorching like it has been, they like to partake of the water we put out for the cats.

My cats are rather used to critters. Besides the vultures, there are 3 foxes running around the street every night, raccoons are not unusual, possums are always scurrying around at night, and we have anywhere between 1 and a dozen deer at a time walking around the yard in the later afternoon and at night. We are woods adjacent, have a field, and have a small pond. I just think it is funny the vultures stand around the cats' water bowl.
Dekster; down in Redland Oregon we had some BIG black birds that folks called "Turkey Vultures", but ours had whiteish colored wings. Do the vultures that u see have the whiteish colored wings? I had forgotten all about the Turkey vultures until U just mentioned them so I just checked them out online. The soaring vulture image in the link below I instantly remembered them from my memory. They were always HIGH(4-500 ft.) in the air circling in a disorganized pack(gaggle?). We figured they had @ least a 4'/4-1/2 wide wingspan. Now I find out they have a wing span up to 70" like that's pretty near a SIX FOOT wide wing span like yikes!!!

I've gotta ask U, what species of deer do U have on your property???

Forum List

Back