Another Example of How Common Core Confuses People

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011

CC is wanting the kids to add numbers to the remainder until it adds to the original amount, then add up all the numbers added.

So 32-12 = 20 because....
12 + 3 = 15
15+5 = 20
20+10 = 30
30+2 = 32.

3+5+10+2 = 20.

Add the numbers up till you get a tens digit, then add tens till you get to the tens digit of the original amount, then add ones till you get the total starting amount. Then add it all up.

We need to teach kids just how to do the fucking math and leave the theory to the academics who love playing with numbers. The rest of us just want to know what 32-12 is and don't need all the bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here George Will explains why Common Core is no good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local control of schools must be restored and the federal busybodies put back in their bottle.
One size fits all does not work in the consumer market place nor can it work for our educational system.

What do you mean returned to local control? It is under state control. Don't take the money. It really is that simple. It's one of those state rights thangs.

That would require responsibility. Most of you don't want that.

Common Core is a corporate game. You aren't against corporate control. You are simply against corporate control in this context.

I find it mindblowing that much of you didn't even know what it was until about a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyl_uYrojs&feature=player_embedded

CC is wanting the kids to add numbers to the remainder until it adds to the original amount, then add up all the numbers added.

12 + 3 = 15
15+5 = 20
20+10 = 30
30+2 = 32.

3+5+10+2 = 20.

Add the numbers up till you get a tens digit, then add tens till you get to the tens digit of the original amount, then add ones till you get the total starting amount. Then add it all up.

We need to teach kids just how to do the fucking math and leave the theory to the academics who love playing with numbers. The rest of us just want to know what 32-12 is and don't need all the bullshit.

Same kind of liberal logic as this:

The rooster crowed in the morning.
The Sun came up in the morning.
Therefore, the Sun came up because the rooster crowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyl_uYrojs&feature=player_embedded

12 + 3 = 15
15+5 = 20
20+10 = 30
30+2 = 32.

3+5+10+2 = 20.

Same kind of liberal logic as this:

The rooster crowed in the morning.
The Sun came up in the morning.
Therefore, the Sun came up because the rooster crowed.

That's far right reactionary low information thinking, not Common Core.

Common Core is a state initiated and directed program.

If folks don't want federal "intrusion", don't accept federal money. Easy.

Find the person or persons responsible for such math bullshit and lock them up forever.

It is a math trick that can work for quickly approximating answers, but it doesn't really provide usefulness in a real world context as no job I know of is content with approximations.

A similar math trick is in calculating multiples of 9.

9 * X = (X-1)*10 + ( 9-X+1), for example 7*9 = [(7-1)*10]+(9-7+1) = 63.

While the trick works it is far faster to just memorize 9*7=63.

What do you mean returned to local control? It is under state control.

I just love the condescending tone with ass hats like you think you are talking to people that don't know shit.

Return schools to the control of the local school boards, idjit.

Don't take the money. It really is that simple. It's one of those state rights thangs.

Political reality says it doesn't work that way. Within a few elections after the voters have forgotten why they turned down the money, the political opposition runs on the issue 'My opponent is so stupid he turns down free money.'

This needs to be changed at the federal level. Stop the drug dealer from offering free drugs and you will have fewer addicts. Stop the feds from giving away free money and you wont have states dependent on free money from the feds.

I have an idea. Why don't you go take a broom handle and shove it 2 feet up your ass?

Common Core is a corporate game. You aren't against corporate control. You are simply against corporate control in this context.

I think most of us are against corporate oligarchy, shit-for-brains.

I find it mindblowing that much of you didn't even know what it was until about a year ago.

lol, you are such a twat.

I was ranting against corporate control back in the 1970s before I graduated high school.

You were still probably sucking your buddies dick behind the bleachers at gym then.

What do you mean returned to local control? It is under state control. Don't take the money. It really is that simple. It's one of those state rights thangs.

YAWN
another left-wing nutjob regurgitating talking points

no; it isnt that easy; funds coming from the governemnt are often grouped together; and it isnt below the federal government to force states to accept funding for one thing by threatening to cut off funding for something else

This can actually have a beneficial place in teaching math skills.

How are they arriving at the answer? They're 'counting back'. I know of no kids today who understand how to 'count back', for example when given change. They rely 100% on a machine to give them the answer and are clueless if the machine doesn't spit out the number for them. My oldest didn't get it until she started working retail. Same thing with percentages ... it's a lost skill due to technology.

The problem with teaching this math is that they're teaching this instead of the basic, simple ways and they're teaching it to kids whose brains are literally not developed enough to understand the concepts.

They need to teach math in a basic and simple way to young learners.

---
20 (can't line up the numbers but you kwim)

When they have mastered the basics of math and are older, then show them the 'counting back' method. It may make it easier for some kids (not sure how, it takes too long if you're just subtracting) but can help in other areas.

Last edited:
This can actually have a beneficial place in teaching math skills.

How are they arriving at the answer? They're 'counting back'. I know of no kids today who understand how to 'count back', for example when given change. They rely 100% on a machine to give them the answer and are clueless if the machine doesn't spit out the number for them. My oldest didn't get it until she started working retail. Same thing with percentages ... it's a lost skill due to technology.

The problem with teaching this math is that they're teaching this instead of the basic, simple ways and they're teaching it to kids whose brains are literally not developed enough to understand the concepts.

They need to teach math in a basic and simple way to young learners.

---
20 (can't line up the numbers but you kwim)

When they have mastered the basics of math and are older, then show them the 'counting back' method. It may make it easier for some kids (not sure how, it takes too long if you're just subtracting) but can help in other areas.

That's some sort of explanation. Every time this sort of math is discussed --I have wondered what the reasoning might be. Expanded place value--I can understand. 32= 3 tens and 2 ones--etc

This seems so much more difficult.

Why is this Common Core math problem so hard? Supporters respond to quiz that went viral | Hechinger Report

<The question appears to be aiming for several of the main Common Core math standards for second grade:

1) A requirement that students understand place value, for instance, that &#8220;100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens &#8212; called a &#8216;hundred.&#8217;&#8221;

Common Core

We&#8217;ve been covering the controversy and facts behind the Common Core for years. Check out our special section for more or read some of the highlights below.
&#8226;New Common Core exams will test whether a robo-grader is as accurate as a human
&#8226;Why the Common Core?
&#8226;Common Core confusion: Why a misunderstood reform needs crisis management

2) That students be able to &#8220;add and subtract within 1000, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value &#8230; and relate the strategy to a written method.&#8221; Also that they &#8220;understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.&#8221;

3) That they can &#8220;explain why addition and subtraction strategies work, using place value and the properties of operations.&#8221;

4) And that they can &#8220;represent whole numbers as lengths from 0 on a number line diagram with equally spaced points corresponding to the numbers 0, 1, 2, &#8230;, and represent whole-number sums and differences within 100 on a number line diagram.&#8221;

In general, being able to explain how you arrived at an answer &#8211; not just memorizing a formula &#8211; is also one of the standards&#8217; key goals for students.
>

In and of itself--that doesn't sound so unusual. Not really certain how it is being utilized.

The idea of 10's---has been around forever--glad not to be involved in this improvement.

Last edited:
What do you mean returned to local control? It is under state control.

I just love the condescending tone with ass hats like you think you are talking to people that don't know shit.

Return schools to the control of the local school boards, idjit.

Don't take the money. It really is that simple. It's one of those state rights thangs.

Political reality says it doesn't work that way. Within a few elections after the voters have forgotten why they turned down the money, the political opposition runs on the issue 'My opponent is so stupid he turns down free money.'

This needs to be changed at the federal level. Stop the drug dealer from offering free drugs and you will have fewer addicts. Stop the feds from giving away free money and you wont have states dependent on free money from the feds.

I have an idea. Why don't you go take a broom handle and shove it 2 feet up your ass?

I think most of us are against corporate oligarchy, shit-for-brains.

lol, you are such a twat.

I was ranting against corporate control back in the 1970s before I graduated high school.

You were still probably sucking your buddies dick behind the bleachers at gym then.

Here, let's pay attention to the only items in your blow hard post that are worth paying attention to. It's a state issue. You want control of the local schoolboard then deal with your state. That too is a state issue. Don't cry about what rights you don't have while ignoring the ones that you do have. FFS, you people are lazy.

No, there are several of you here that have no problem purchasing elected officials and legislation.

Every so many years and people forget doesn't not adequately address the responsibility issue. 501(c)(4) is about education, amiright?
At least that's what they cry about here.

Common Core is a state initiated and directed program.

If folks don't want federal "intrusion", don't accept federal money. Easy.

um no; it isnt that easy

but you know this

idiots and hypocrites

It is if you put your gumption where your mouth is and mindless, and I think I know whose sock you really please stop being and idiot and hypocrite.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back