Another Good Book

Pheonixops

Proud Liberal
Jan 27, 2012
On the tennis courts
This book has a pretty even handed historical approach, it was published in 1897. You can see that some of the sociology of race and our society is pretty similar in some ways today to how it was in the previous century. You can also see the similarity of the bigots from yesteryear and what they said about "The Blacks" to the bigots who continually post demeaning stuff about "The Blacks" today.
P. Thomas Stanford (Peter Thomas). The Tragedy of the Negro in America: a Condensed History of the Enslavement, Sufferings, Emancipation, Present Condition and Progress of the Negro Race in the United States of America.

You can see how certain systems directly evolved from slavery and the emancipation of Black people. this comes to mind from the book:
Convict lease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My conclusion is that it takes a long time for a group of people who were enslaved for hundreds of years and then persecuted and discriminated against after they were emancipated for at least another hundred years, to just "get over it" and overcome the psychological baggage that has been handed down from generation to generation.

What other race or group of people have endured such a system of oppression and have made the gains that Black people have made in this country? How have Native Americans endured? They were displaced from their land, but they also had more rights in the South than the Blacks did.

Some people have made a reference to "Free Blacks" upon on some of my readings it shows that they weren't very "free" at all. No right to bear arms was enjoyed like it was by his fellow white free men, the right to vote was also not on par, etc. etc., etc............
Atticus G. Haygood (Atticus Greene), 1839-1896. Our Brother in Black: His Freedom and His Future.

I didn't post this to excuse bad behavior by anyone, I posted this to give people a certain perspective and reflection upon how we are where we are at today.

" The story is a long and painful one, and is probably the most disgraceful part of American history. It reveals the white man of the South in the character of a demon, who was determined to remand the freed coloured man as nearly as possible to his former condition by state legislation. Alabama, Florida and Mississippi made it an act of vagrancy, punishable with imprisonment, for a freedman to leave the service of his employer before the term prescribed in a written contact was completed, which contract the Negro had in every case to sign, or die of starvation on the public road. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana made it a criminal offence for any person to employ, feed or clothe a freedman who had left his employer, under a penalty of a year in the house of correction to both employer and employed, and five dollars reward and ten cents a mile for travelling expenses were paid to any officer of any state who should take such an one back to his master. Florida made it a criminal offence for any black man to enter a white man's place of worship or public meeting, or the white man's railroad car, under a penalty of standing in the pillory for one hour, or be whipped thirty-nine stripes, or both as the jury might decide. South Carolina, Florida and Mississippi made it an
Page 100

offence to keep any fire-arms, dirk, sword, ammunition or bowie-knife without a license, which was under no circumstances granted to a Negro
, under a penalty of stripes and the pillory. President Lincoln had set the Negro free, but the Southern States,--immediately after peace was declared, and they had been restored to the union, exercising their state powers--made him sign contracts of service, forbade him to listen to a coloured preacher, punished him if he entered a white man's church, would not allow him to possess, arms of any kind, and denied him "the right to acquire and dispose of property." "

"Put a premium on character, right living and justice. Make it possible for me to say to my son: 'My boy, you are an American; love your country, honor her laws, fight her battles and preserve her free institutions. Be noble and true and good and have a character void of offense, and good people of every race and of every clime will love and respect you and give you every right to which your worth entitles you.' I would rather inspire my son with such sentiments than that he should hold the highest position in the land. It is our hope that some day we can truthfully set such a goal before every boy
Page 128

and girl of every race in our broad land; that the white boys and girls of Florida and the black boys and girls of South Carolina may alike have an opportunity to rise."
"

Put a premium on character, right living and justice. Make it possible for me to say to my son: 'My boy, you are an American; love your country, honor her laws, fight her battles and preserve her free institutions. Be noble and true and good and have a character void of offense, and good people of every race and of every clime will love and respect you and give you every right to which your worth entitles you.' I would rather inspire my son with such sentiments than that he should hold the highest position in the land. It is our hope that some day we can truthfully set such a goal before every boy
Page 128

and girl of every race in our broad land; that the white boys and girls of Florida and the black boys and girls of South Carolina may alike have an opportunity to rise."

This book has a pretty even handed historical approach, it was published in 1897. You can see that some of the sociology of race and our society is pretty similar in some ways today to how it was in the previous century. You can also see the similarity of the bigots from yesteryear and what they said about "The Blacks" to the bigots who continually post demeaning stuff about "The Blacks" today.
P. Thomas Stanford (Peter Thomas). The Tragedy of the Negro in America: a Condensed History of the Enslavement, Sufferings, Emancipation, Present Condition and Progress of the Negro Race in the United States of America.

You can see how certain systems directly evolved from slavery and the emancipation of Black people. this comes to mind from the book:
Convict lease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My conclusion is that it takes a long time for a group of people who were enslaved for hundreds of years and then persecuted and discriminated against after they were emancipated for at least another hundred years, to just "get over it" and overcome the psychological baggage that has been handed down from generation to generation.

What other race or group of people have endured such a system of oppression and have made the gains that Black people have made in this country? How have Native Americans endured? They were displaced from their land, but they also had more rights in the South than the Blacks did.

Some people have made a reference to "Free Blacks" upon on some of my readings it shows that they weren't very "free" at all. No right to bear arms was enjoyed like it was by his fellow white free men, the right to vote was also not on par, etc. etc., etc............
Atticus G. Haygood (Atticus Greene), 1839-1896. Our Brother in Black: His Freedom and His Future.

I didn't post this to excuse bad behavior by anyone, I posted this to give people a certain perspective and reflection upon how we are where we are at today.

I'm pretty sure the only people that appreciate this will be the ones that already have a clue about the validity of what it is saying.

Here's an interesting observation:
" As I would sail down the Potomac, past Fort Washington on the left, and Mt. Vernon on the right, where lies the remains of the immortal George Washington, where my grandfathers fought side by side in the Revolutionary War, with the soldiers of the country, under the pretended flag of freedom, for no other purpose than for the declaration of rights and liberty. I could not look on that spot with reverence, as I should look, because he did not announce freedom to every man, when the bloody struggle should be over, but slavery continued worse and worse under the reign of Washington than it did under the reign of Great Britian. The chains grew tighter and tighter, until at last the General Assemblies began to pass statute after statute in nearly all
Page 24

the Southern States, to drive out the free colored people.
Owners of property amounting to from twenty-five to thirty thousand dollars, compelled to sell it for five or six hundred dollars, and were robbed out of all their property, amounting to millions, besides being obliged to leave the State in so many days or be made slaves. All this was done to please the slaveholders. Now I ask the reader at large, is it any wonder that we should be poor men? Virginia announced in her constitution that "All men having sufficient evidence of permanent common interest with and attachment to the community, have the right of suffrage, without distinction of color, and that they cannot be taxed or deprived of their property for public uses, without their own consent." This was entirely worthy of the citizens who adorned that State. In the early history of Virginia, 1723, on the enactment of a statute, she undertook to disfranchise people of color, but was rebuked by legal authority in England, in admirable words as follows: "I cannot see why one freeman should be used worse than another, merely on account of his complexion.

I want my readers to distinctly understand that there were as many white slaves as there were blacks, and rather more. King James emptied his prison houses and they were transported to Portsmouth, Virginia, and sold as slaves, to work out their sentence. This was carried on until December, 1620,
Page 25

when the Pilgrims landed upon Plymouth Rock, a period of sixteen years, and the following April one-half of that number were dead, and only seven able to work. Just at that critical moment, when everything was about to fail, there were forty-five Africans landed upon the shores of Virginia, and from that time to the present you have heard no more of starvation, and the country has been on its solid march, through and by the labors of the Africans. Now, I wish it distinctly understood by my readers, that the record of the landing of the Africans upon these shores is as clean as a hound's tooth. Every man had the right of suffrage, until after the declaration of Independence, and the Americans had the reins of government in their own hands. So we were not only robbed of our property, but of our franchise, under this system of slavery, which no government ever upheld or sustained, by a positive law, but the Americans."

The above was written in 1894.
George Henry, b. 1819. Life of George Henry. Together with a Brief History of the Colored People in America.

I want my readers to distinctly understand that there were as many white slaves as there were blacks, and rather more. King James emptied his prison houses and they were transported to Portsmouth, Virginia, and sold as slaves, to work out their sentence. This was carried on until December, 1620,
Page 25

Many people don't realize that whites were enslaved as well. Oliver Twist will shed some light on the conditions.

External factors like slavery, reconstruction, segregation and welfare program requirements (e.g., absent fathers) have placed unique burdens on African Americans. However, these burdens can only be lifted by internal factors such as self control, family unity and condemnation of destructive behavior.

External factors like slavery, reconstruction, segregation and welfare program requirements (e.g., absent fathers) have placed unique burdens on African Americans. However, these burdens can only be lifted by internal factors such as self control, family unity and condemnation of destructive behavior.

Did you notice that every single one of those internal factors are impacted by the burdens?

Page 25

Many people don't realize that whites were enslaved as well. Oliver Twist will shed some light on the conditions.

True, the only difference I can see so far was that they (white slaves) were freed after they served either their indentured servant term or prison term.

That's true for anyone of every color. Part of what I am trying to demonstrate is that these conditions were the result of slavery. Many families were torn apart by the fact that they were often sold separately. Many of the males were often encouraged by their masters to have more than one woman.
Another thing I find funny is when some white people ask incredulously; "Why do the Blacks have to call themselves 'African Americans'? The answer is that they were always being referred to as "hyphenated" Americans. I saw references from books written in the 1880's calling Black people "Afro-Americans" or "Americanized Africans". In short a lot of what we think is a new phenomena is actually recycled from previous eras.

Page 25

True, the only difference I can see so far was that they (white slaves) were freed after they served either their indentured servant term or prison term.

that in of itself was a huge difference. At least they had some hope. You kill a group of peoples hope from generation to generation you are going to need some time to sort out the damage. Add on the crushing blow to reconstruction and the following Jim Crow era and you have to marvel at how strong Black people had to be to survive at all.

Another theory aka LIE that some blowhards on these forums like to spout is that "the first slave owner in America was a Black man". It's blown away by anyone who is educated and can see that slavery was codified for Blacks a lot earlier than the Castor incident.
Fundamental Constitutions of Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even earlier than that a legal precedent was set for slavery that still exists. Technically if you are in prison you can be enslaved.

By 1640, the Virginia courts had sentenced at least one black servant to slavery

Africans in America/Part 1/Virgina recognizes slavery

HAHAHA. Good book, my big fat white butt. Another hate-whitey book is what it is. Fact is slavery was the best thing that ever happened to the black race. Even poor american blacks have a far better life than the average african does today. Thanks to all the welfare and affirmative action that us whites give blacks.

Why whites apologize for slavery is beyond me. We should demand blacks thank us for enslaving their ancestors.

Page 25

The major difference that I see is that when black slavery was abolished, the institution of Jim Crow took it's place, to ensure that former slaves stayed in a socially inferior status, and was not totally outlawed in every state until 1965.

What Was Jim Crow?

Jim Crow was the name of the racial caste system which operated primarily, but not exclusively in southern and border states, between 1877 and the mid-1960s. Jim Crow was more than a series of rigid anti-black laws. It was a way of life. Under Jim Crow, African Americans were relegated to the status of second class citizens. Jim Crow represented the legitimization of anti-black racism.

Many Christian ministers and theologians taught that whites were the Chosen people, blacks were cursed to be servants, and God supported racial segregation. Craniologists, eugenicists, phrenologists, and Social Darwinists, at every educational level, buttressed the belief that blacks were innately intellectually and culturally inferior to whites. Pro-segregation politicians gave eloquent speeches on the great danger of integration: the mongrelization of the white race.

Newspaper and magazine writers routinely referred to blacks as *******, coons, and darkies; and worse, their articles reinforced anti-black stereotypes. Even children's games portrayed blacks as inferior beings (see "From Hostility to Reverence: 100 Years of African-American Imagery in Games"). All major societal institutions reflected and supported the oppression of blacks.

The Jim Crow system was undergirded by the following beliefs or rationalizations: whites were superior to blacks in all important ways, including but not limited to intelligence, morality, and civilized behavior; sexual relations between blacks and whites would produce a mongrel race which would destroy America; treating blacks as equals would encourage interracial sexual unions; any activity which suggested social equality encouraged interracial sexual relations; if necessary, violence must be used to keep blacks at the bottom of the racial hierarchy.

The following Jim Crow etiquette norms show how inclusive and pervasive these norms were:

A black male could not offer his hand (to shake hands) with a white male because it implied being socially equal. Obviously, a black male could not offer his hand or any other part of his body to a white woman, because he risked being accused of rape.

Blacks and whites were not supposed to eat together. If they did eat together, whites were to be served first, and some sort of partition was to be placed between them.

Under no circumstance was a black male to offer to light the cigarette of a white female -- that gesture implied intimacy.

Blacks were not allowed to show public affection toward one another in public, especially kissing, because it offended whites.

Jim Crow etiquette prescribed that blacks were introduced to whites, never whites to blacks. For example: "Mr. Peters (the white person), this is Charlie (the black person), that I spoke to you about."

Whites did not use courtesy titles of respect when referring to blacks, for example, Mr., Mrs., Miss., Sir, or Ma'am. Instead, blacks were called by their first names. Blacks had to use courtesy titles when referring to whites, and were not allowed to call them by their first names.

If a black person rode in a car driven by a white person, the black person sat in the back seat, or the back of a truck.

White motorists had the right-of-way at all intersections.
Stetson Kennedy, the author of Jim Crow Guide (1990), offered these simple rules that blacks were supposed to observe in conversing with whites:

Never assert or even intimate that a white person is lying.
Never impute dishonorable intentions to a white person.
Never suggest that a white person is from an inferior class.
Never lay claim to, or overly demonstrate, superior knowledge or intelligence.
Never curse a white person.
Never laugh derisively at a white person.
Never comment upon the appearance of a white female.

What was Jim Crow

[

The major difference that I see is that when black slavery was abolished, the institution of Jim Crow took it's place, to ensure that former slaves stayed in a socially inferior status, and was not totally outlawed in every state until 1965.

What Was Jim Crow?

Jim Crow was the name of the racial caste system which operated primarily, but not exclusively in southern and border states, between 1877 and the mid-1960s. Jim Crow was more than a series of rigid anti-black laws. It was a way of life. Under Jim Crow, African Americans were relegated to the status of second class citizens. Jim Crow represented the legitimization of anti-black racism.

And now we live in the Jim Swan era where whites have no rights thanks to affirmative action. If you're white you are constantly profiled and told - "you can't have this job or this scholarship or go to this college. And you certainly can't say anything bad about blacks though they can accuse you at will."

[

What Was Jim Crow?

And now we live in the Jim Swan era where whites have no rights thanks to affirmative action. If you're white you are constantly profiled and told - "you can't have this job or this scholarship or go to this college. And you certainly can't say anything bad about blacks though they can accuse you at will."

If you are speaking for yourself, and you have been denied either employment or education, or both, it is most like due to your own inadequacies, not your race.

[

What Was Jim Crow?

I already told you to stop being lazy and make yourself employable. You are not entitled to a handout just because you are white. Make something of yourself and stop whining about AA holding you down. Be a man for once in your life.

Forum List

Back