Another school shooting....time to arm the teachers?

No doubt about it. This time of year is conducive to emotional extremes or it can trigger some really dangerous ones.

OH PLEASE!!!!! The fact that Christmas is upon us is what's irrevenant! This stuff has been happening for far too long and I don't think they all happen around significant Christian holidays! Give me a break!

Apparently our society doesn't adequetly address mental illness...people are given a pill and told to go on their way. Apparently that's just not working! Re-open the state mental hospitals, put the crazies in there and throw away the key! Boom...problem solved!
Jan,

I agree with you about re-opening the mental hospitals. But in spite of your rejection of the idea, which I didn't invent, the fact remains that violent crime rises during the Christmas season.

Does Violent Crime Increase During the Holidays?

If you happen to know any experienced police officers, ask them about it. The most extreme manifestation is in the category of domestic violence but there also is a spike in the ordinary assault and homicide statistics.

This holiday season begins to induce a high level of emotional stimulus in childhood and the effect continues well into adult development, spanning the entire spectrum of potential feelings, from extreme happiness and joy to suicidal dejection. And homicidal rage is often unbearable suicidal dejection turned outward.

While I'm not suggesting the holiday is responsible for triggering the pathological rage that set Adam Lanza off I certainly do not reject the possibility.

Point taken...but let's not over simplify this by blaming it all on Christmas either. The next thing ya know someone will say the shooter killed his Mom and went on this rampage because Mommy wasn't getting him a new bicycle for Christmas!

The Christmas thing is just too pat of an answer for this rampage...let's look deeper.

Truly.

Mental illness and the violence that sometimes stems from certain mental illnesses can be found in any family and any neighborhood honestly.

Money can't buy you safety.
Nice lawns can't buy you safety.
More gun laws can't buy you safety.

We are human beings. I see more vehicles causing deaths and horrific injuries than guns. I think texting and other distractions while driving is more dangerous than ever today. I think road rage is more prevalent today. Drunk driving anyone? Maybe it is time to crack down all those people who risk my life and my loved ones lives when they get in their cars and get manic in their behavior. Seriously, if people want to go after guns as the root of all evil I can assure you I will be right there going after some of the maniacs I see going after me and others with their cars.

Whatever! And I mean that...whatever we have to do to protect the innocent. If it means prohibition on alcohol...fine. If that means opening up the state hospitals again, fine! If that means public transportation for everybody so nobody gets into a car accident...fine! But one thing I never want to have to witness on the news again is a shooter opening fire on a bunch of kindergartners. No...that cannot be tolerated within our society...no!
Jan,

Prohibitions, whether of alcohol, other drugs, or guns, do not work in a free society. We know that from exhaustive experience. Even under the most extremely repressive police state conditions someone who desperately wants something and is willing to pay for it probably will end up getting it.

There really is no solution to the problem of occasional manifestations of sheer madness in American society, the nature of which is conducive to psychopathology. These incredibly crazy events, from the Columbine shootings, the federally orchestrated Waco massacre, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the Oklahoma City bombing, the 9/11 World Trade Center destruction, and now this massacre of twenty little children. In a culture such as ours, a society this massive, this complicated, and this crazy, such events are to be expected. Today's tragedy is by no means the end of it.

I'm sorry, but that's just not acceptable. No.

Would all these gun laws have prevented this?
Have the drug laws prevented access to drugs?

Did prohibition prevent access to booze?

There are between 200 million and 300 million guns at large in America. Nobody knows for sure how many. If a Draconian law was passed to forbid possession of guns, even if it were enforced by door-to-door searches, only the law-abiding would surrender their guns. The lawless and the crazies would remain armed and the beat would go on.

So don't strain your brain thinking of how to prevent such tragedies as today's. Because the toothpaste is out of the tube.

Place guards at every door to the public schools...I think the school budgets just went up substantially. If we can't protect our children at least as well as we try to protect our airports we don't deserve our share of the oxygen on this planet! Put in the x-ray machines...whatever is necessary...just do it!

Would all these gun laws have prevented this?
Have the drug laws prevented access to drugs?

Did prohibition prevent access to booze?

There are between 200 million and 300 million guns at large in America. Nobody knows for sure how many. If a Draconian law was passed to forbid possession of guns, even if it were enforced by door-to-door searches, only the law-abiding would surrender their guns. The lawless and the crazies would remain armed and the beat would go on.

So don't strain your brain thinking of how to prevent such tragedies as today's. Because the toothpaste is out of the tube.

Place guards at every door to the public schools...I think the school budgets just went up substantially. If we can't protect our children at least as well as we try to protect our airports we don't deserve our share of the oxygen on this planet! Put in the x-ray machines...whatever is necessary...just do it!

how about we try not drugging the children first..

Actually Sampson is making a point I guess you missed it.
And what point was that ?
It would cost more money on a already taxed educational system. When you trained a few educated teachers in the use of firearm it would cut the cost of hiring new people.
Not about the money anymore, and it shouldn't be..... It should be about getting a better system in place quickly for these vulnerable areas that we have, especially at these schools.. Then we can work on the bad culture problem in America.. We have to many kids living in single parent households anymore, and why is that ? We have to high an unemployment rate among the young adults in this nation anymore, and why is that ? We have to many kids on drugs anymore, and why is that ? We have way to much rebellion anymore, and why is that ? We have no future outlook anymore, and why is that ? Add to this if you like..

Its about time America toughened its gun laws. Its ten days til Xmas, and instead of sitting around, opening presents with their kids, these parents will be at a fucking funeral, burying their beloved children.

I am sick of this shit, this talk of 'If we ban guns, only criminals will have guns'. Well, maybe they can be trusted with a gun, because regular citizens sure can't!
The majority of mass shootings were committed by people who had no prior criminal record, so I conclude that guns in the hands of regular citizens are far more dangerous than they are in the hands of criminals.

Do something, seriously. How many more people have to die? How man more innocent families torn apart before you selfish fuckers get your act together and try to save lives?

Shut up you moron. One responsible gun owner could have prevented most, if not all, of these deaths.

Puke. You don't protect children by making sure nobody can defend them, but then I doubt you're highly motivated to protect children anyway.

Shut up you moron. One responsible gun owner could have prevented most, if not all, of these deaths.

Puke. You don't protect children by making sure nobody can defend them, but then I doubt you're highly motivated to protect children anyway.

Oh fuck off. Stop this shit about 'one armed person could have prevented this', Bull fucking shit. You Yanks are not the heroes you pretend to be.

"In fact, some mass shootings have been stopped by armed citizens. Though press accounts downplayed it, the 2002 shooting at Appalachian Law School was stopped when a student retrieved a gun from his car and confronted the shooter. Likewise, Pearl, Miss., school shooter Luke Woodham was stopped when the school's vice principal took a .45 from his truck and ran to the scene. In February's Utah mall shooting, it was an off-duty police officer who happened to be on the scene and carrying a gun."

People don't stop killers. People with guns do - NY Daily News

Oh fuck off. Stop this shit about 'one armed person could have prevented this', Bull fucking shit. You Yanks are not the heroes you pretend to be.

Moron.

"[SIZE=+1]K: Well, the survey mostly generated results pretty consistent with those of a dozen previous surveys which generally indicates that defensive use of guns is pretty common and probably more common than criminal uses of guns. This survey went beyond previous ones in that it provided detail about how often people who had used a gun had done so. We asked people was the gun used defensively in the past five years and if so how many times did that happen and we asked details about what exactly happened. We nailed down that each use being reported was a bona fide defensive use against a human being in connection with a crime where there was an actual confrontation between victim and offender. Previous surveys were a little hazy on the details of exactly what was being reported as a defensive gun use. It wasn't, for example, clear that the respondents weren't reporting investigating a suspicious noise in their back yard with a gun where there was, in fact, nobody there. Our results ended up indicating, depending on which figures you prefer to use, anywhere from 800,000 on up to 2.4, 2.5 million defensive uses of guns against human beings -- not against animals -- by civilians each year."

[SIZE=+1]http://rense.com/general76/univ.htm[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Even if you were all armed, you would still have mass shootings. People would still die.

Here's a pop quiz for you - since 1996, how many mass shootings have their been in Australia?

Wait, I'll be nice and give you the answer...ZERO. Yep, zero. Care to find out why? Oh yeah - because we aren't fucking obsessed with guns like you lot are.

"The attack began at 8:36 p.m. local time and ended about twenty minutes later. According to survivor Mijael Mendelson, the attack lasted about 14 minutes. Mendelson reports he saw the time before the shooting started and shortly after knowing the gunman was dead.[1] The attacker was stopped by two Israel Defense Forces officers who were former Mercaz HaRav students themselves: Yitzchak Dadon and Captain David Shapira, who both dealt the fatal blow to the attacker with their personal firearms."

Mercaz HaRav massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good, stay in Australia. We're in America.

At least I can go about my daily business and not be in fear of being gunned down.

What if it was your family? Wouldn't you want tougher laws on guns then?
I think so many people would change their minds if only they experienced the pain first hand.

"The attack began at 8:36 p.m. local time and ended about twenty minutes later. According to survivor Mijael Mendelson, the attack lasted about 14 minutes. Mendelson reports he saw the time before the shooting started and shortly after knowing the gunman was dead.[1] The attacker was stopped by two Israel Defense Forces officers who were former Mercaz HaRav students themselves: Yitzchak Dadon and Captain David Shapira, who both dealt the fatal blow to the attacker with their personal firearms."

That is one person - yet people still died before these two men fired the shot that killed the gunman. That is my point - you can arm the teachers, train them to protect the students, but chances are, multiple people are going to die before that teacher even gets to fire their gun.

How does that save lives?

If it was my family, and I was there, and I was armed.... I'd fucking wade in there and kill whoever was shooting at my kids. I wouldn't cower on the sidewalk, waiting for the cops to arrive.

If it was my family, I would be eternally grateful to whatever person in the school took out the shooter before he had killed 26 people. An entire class. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. .... and nobody could do a fucking thing.

That is one person - yet people still died before these two men fired the shot that killed the gunman. That is my point - you can arm the teachers, train them to protect the students, but chances are, multiple people are going to die before that teacher even gets to fire their gun.

How does that save lives?

Within 6 minutes, these guys were in the school. Within 14 they'd killed the guy.

Before he could kill anymore.

You're too stupid to converse with. Go back to dreaming about abortions and ways to prevent vicious child abusers from doing jail time. This is beyond your pay grade, and you're offensive.

Its about time America toughened its gun laws. Its ten days til Xmas, and instead of sitting around, opening presents with their kids, these parents will be at a fucking funeral, burying their beloved children.

I am sick of this shit, this talk of 'If we ban guns, only criminals will have guns'. Well, maybe they can be trusted with a gun, because regular citizens sure can't!
The majority of mass shootings were committed by people who had no prior criminal record, so I conclude that guns in the hands of regular citizens are far more dangerous than they are in the hands of criminals.

Do something, seriously. How many more people have to die? How man more innocent families torn apart before you selfish fuckers get your act together and try to save lives?

That is total nonsense. I almost EVERY case of mentally unbalanced shooters as today and the Batman guy in Aurora and the kid in Oregon.. there were obvious signs of trouble with people that had an idea something was wrong and did nothing to intervene. The guy in Colorado had been seeing a phychiatrist who just blew him off without warning the police. The Oregon kid's mother was on TV and she acted like she had no idea.. but she hadn't even talked to her son in 4 years ..meaning he left home at 16. Obviously there was trouble at home. Then his "friends" knew he was gettiong rid of all of his possessions to go to Hawaii?? They all thought his Hawaii story was bullshit but nobody said anything. If someone is clearly losing control of their ability to make rational judgements and those near him or her just blow it off then they are partially responsible for bad outcomes.

There is something that has crept into the American culture that allows..even promotes not taking responsibility for ANYTHING. When I was a kid speed limits on roads and highways meant something. Now EVERYONE drives at least ten miles over ..and it is EXPECTED. We cry like little bitches when something shocking happens but take no responsibility as we live our lives to intervene when someone is in trouble. Then it's all about how NOBODY saw it coming...ya right.

Last edited:
If it was my family, and I was there, and I was armed.... I'd fucking wade in there and kill whoever was shooting at my kids. I wouldn't cower on the sidewalk, waiting for the cops to arrive.

If it was my family, I would be eternally grateful to whatever person in the school took out the shooter before he had killed 26 people. An entire class. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. .... and nobody could do a fucking thing.

But you couldn't just jump up and shoot without knowing where the gunman was, could you? You would have to protect yourself - in order to allow you to get close enough to get a decent shot- and even then, there is the chance you could miss and shoot someone else.

It would be great to have one person take out the killer - but like I said, chances are, the killer would have shot and killed multiple people already, before he was shot dead. Maybe you would prevent him/her from killing one more person, but you just wouldn't know. You have no way of knowing that your firing a fatal shot would have prevented more innocent people from dying.

Noomi, you're an idiot. Just shut up. Your putrid vapidity makes me sick to my stomach, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Forum List

Back